Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

Hello all.

My name is Jay (phatj was a college nickname, related more to my habits than my stature). I used to post on PhilaPhans as ByrdMan (I still do, but rarely, and almost exclusively on the Phillies board), and those of you who read PhilliesPhans may recognize me from there.

Full disclosure: I'm a baseball fan first, so I pay scant attention to the Birds during training camp and preseason, more once the regular season commences, but my full attention isn't on football until after baseball season completes.

Further disclosure: I'm a relatively recent convert to Philadelphia sports in general, having moved to the area in 2001. Before that, I was a baseball fan (I grew up in Oregon, and followed the Mariners), but not hardcore, and didn't really follow football at all. Since moving here, a close friend has introduced me to the soul-sucking horror that is the Phillies, and also to the more satisfying, but ultimately (at least so far) frustrating Eagles.

I'm a big "stathead" when it comes to baseball, and while I recognize that football is more difficult to break down statistically, at least when it comes to individual players, you should know that I lean that way with football as well. A favorite site of mine is footballoutsiders.com.

One last warning: I'm prone to crazy ideas, especially regarding football. I may post them from time to time here. Please, be gentle!

Thanks for reading (if anyone makes it through this), and I look forward to talking football with you all! (At least after the Phillies season ends.)
    Originally posted by DuckyNinja
    I think if FredEx were still on the Eagles, he'd be our best receiver. Seriously. No joke.

Yo, yo, yo.

I used to like to follow the M's as my AL team of interest back when I was a kid. Not to say that it diminished my love of the Phils, but I was a big time Griffey Jr. fan. And I loved those teal hats with the dark blue bill.

Comment

Byrdman not only joins the board, but in September of 2006 he finally abandons his loyalty to Marlon Byrd! (Most of us took care of that mid-2004). Welcome.

Comment

Welcome phatj....good to see you make it over here. Bring your woody avatar with you...
        Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Nice job phatj! Way to intro yourself. As for the crazy ideas, you'll get a good natured ribbing at times, but we're not a bad group of chaps. Welcome aboard!
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Welcome phatj!

Oregon and Washington...2 of the really great states in the US!!

Now get me a cold "Oly", will you!

Comment

Welcome PhatJ. I like that name, since I like Phat. Or, I lovephat. Or I welcome phat anytime. Anywho,

I welcome your stat wisdom. I just hope you don't twist stats like so many do. They are what they are.....numbers that tell a small part of a story about the past, but that can mislead you about the future. That's my story...and I'm sticking to it.

Catch you on the flip side.
              Pedro

Comment

Welcome. Usually, I like to request beers from the newbs, but in your case, I think a phatj would go nicely to help relieve the hangover I'm currently experiencing before game time.

NOTE: Pedro, please disregard this post.

LOL

Comment

Phatty-

What up Dog! Nice to have ya out and about with us- In our own minds ofcourse... We rock! And so do you! Nice opening post.
                  http://www.myspace.com/r3nj

Comment

Welcome brohan.
                    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                    Playoff Appearances:
                    NFC Title Games:
                    Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Byrd...er ah, I mean phatj - welcome to the board !! We're ready to start up the bus so, count yourself lucky that you got on board (so to speak) just before we pull out on the road to please take your seat and buckle up.
                      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I did the opposite...grew up in philly and moved to Oregon....

I miss philly and the access to philly sports, but Oregon is the most beautiful place on Earth. I will never leave here...I am patiently waiting for the volcanoes to errupt, much like the Eagles are going to errupt on Houston today

Go Eagles!

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBird
                          I did the opposite...grew up in philly and moved to Oregon....

I miss philly and the access to philly sports, but Oregon is the most beautiful place on Earth. I will never leave here...I am patiently waiting for the volcanoes to errupt, much like the Eagles are going to errupt on Houston today

Go Eagles!
                          I'd worry less about the volcanoes and more about the Big One. There's a big fault line that runs right through Oregon, that I've heard has the potential for a catastrophic earthquake someday.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Oh, and here you go...

Originally posted by DuckyNinja
                          I think if FredEx were still on the Eagles, he'd be our best receiver. Seriously. No joke.

Comment

Originally posted by phatj
                            Originally posted by BillyBird
                            Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Oh, and here you go...

MMmmmmm!! Love that Oly.

Comment

[/quote]
                              I'd worry less about the volcanoes and more about the Big One. There's a big fault line that runs right through Oregon, that I've heard has the potential for a catastrophic earthquake someday.
                              [/quote]

Im not worried about the volcanoes...Im excited.

Comment

Working...
                              X