Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Tommy McDonald

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...l-philadelphia

Former Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver and Pro Football Hall of Fame member Tommy McDonald died this morning at the age of 84, according to an official announcement.

It’s a sad day.

McDonald, a six-time Pro Bowl selection, played in the league for 12 seasons from 1957 through 1968. He finished his career with 495 receptions for 8,410 yards (17.0 average), and 84 touchdowns.
    Originally selected by Philadelphia in the third round of the 1957 NFL Draft, McDonald spent seven seasons with the Eagles. He was an important contributor to the Eagles’ championship team in 1960.
    In addition to being a great football player, the beloved McDonald was known for his flamboyant personality. I never had the honor of watching him play but I’ll never forget him running out of the tunnel at Lincoln Financial Field during a training camp practice where the team was honoring alumni. You wouldn’t have known he was 79 years old.

McDonald is the inspiration behind Ray Didinger’s Tommy and Me play that I’m sure a number of you have seen.

Rest in peace, Tommy McDonald. You’ll forever live on as a legend

Not only a great player but a hell of a guy. He was the most outwardly happy guy ever to into the HOF. There's not many left from that 1960 team. I don't think that many people know that a great receiver like him lost the top of his thumb when he was a teananger. I'm glad that he got to see the SB win. So long Tommy.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

My fav Eagle as a kid. He and Retzlaff were guys I wanted to be. TMac was a clean cut guy. I remember one card in particular where he was young and had a '50s' kind of haircut.
      RIP
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

I know Tommy got old like the rest of us. But in my mind, whenever I had
        cause to think of him, he had never changed. He still looked like "the kid".

Thanks for so many sweet memories.

"Van Brocklin throws deep down the middle. He's got McDonald open. TOUCH DOWN EAGLES!!!"

Borne home on eagles wings. Rest in peace.

Comment

RIP. He was before my time, but I know he was j-bird's favorite player when he was a kid.

Comment

One of the all time best..... RIP!

Comment

he got to hold the Lombardi

RIP
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                RIP. He was before my time, but I know he was j-bird's favorite player when he was a kid.
                You are correct EB. As a kid I used to sleep in a Tommy Mac Jersey. My All Time Favorite Eagle.
                R.I.P. Tommy.
                Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Working...
                X