HoF QBs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately that's the way the game works with NY. Personally I think that Simms was a better QB.
    I agree, Simms was wayyyyyyyyy better than Eli and had less to work with aside from Bavaro.

Comment

I used to think Pro Bowls were a good way to look at a player’s quality, until 2010 when they moved the game before the SB and they started selecting more “very good” players because the very best weren’t always available to play (because they were usually still on their teams during the playoffs). I guess All-Pro selections still mean something though.

Here’s another guy who I’d take ahead of Eli: Philip Rivers. At the rate he’s going, he’ll have a lot of numbers racked up, a lot of quality years, but not much postseason success to show for it. If he wins a SB I think he’d get serious consideration, but without so much as a SB appearance...well, I don’t know. He’s got a lot of Pro Bowl appearances, but again most of them were after 2010.
      Last edited by balto-eaglefan; 11-13-2018, 09:20 AM.
      "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
      — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
      - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

I'd put Rivers in that category also. Very good QB but his isn't the name that comes to mind when talking about the best in his field at the time he is playing. He isn't Brady, He isn't Rogers, He isn't Brees, etc.
        Not sure how to do it. Can't just go by eyesight, can't just go on stats, can't just go on record or team performance. Maybe rank your top 15 QBs every year and then look at what years your guy played and how many times was he top 5 or top 8. For example I think DMac came out in 99 and played until 2010 or so. If you ranked all QBs each year he would probably top half but I don't think he would be top five more than a couple of times. I don't see him as HoF in any manner.
        Anyway, I think a Hall of VG QBs would be stuffed full but I don't think HoFame should be
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
          I'd put Rivers in that category also. Very good QB but his isn't the name that comes to mind when talking about the best in his field at the time he is playing. He isn't Brady, He isn't Rogers, He isn't Brees, etc.
          Not sure how to do it. Can't just go by eyesight, can't just go on stats, can't just go on record or team performance. Maybe rank your top 15 QBs every year and then look at what years your guy played and how many times was he top 5 or top 8. For example I think DMac came out in 99 and played until 2010 or so. If you ranked all QBs each year he would probably top half but I don't think he would be top five more than a couple of times. I don't see him as HoF in any manner.
          Anyway, I think a Hall of VG QBs would be stuffed full but I don't think HoFame should be
          Here's the thing about #5 that will screw him. In short The Weasel. He refused to get him any playmakers to work with. The offense was basically 5 making a big play or Westbrook. That was it. When you were throwing to Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Dwight Clark and handing off to Ricky Watters like Montana did I'd say that maybe you had a little help there. Instead 5 was throwing to Johnson and Small and then a parade of other stiffs with some guy from Northwestern who wanted to be an actor instead of a running back. 5 never had a chance.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I agree, 5 had the talent, but had no help.

Comment

McNabb and Rivers are not HoF guys to me! Neither is Eli but who knows. Brady, Big Ben, Brees, definitely. I am on the fence with Rodgers! They should have won at least 3 Super Bowls!

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
                McNabb and Rivers are not HoF guys to me! Neither is Eli but who knows. Brady, Big Ben, Brees, definitely. I am on the fence with Rodgers! They should have won at least 3 Super Bowls!
                IMHO, McNabb is worthy of consideration, but he will never get in. People tend to forget all those years when the offense WAS McNabb (and in later years, McNabb and Westbrook). The one year we had a legit WR, we went 13-3 and made it to the Super Bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post

Nah, can't agree here Rob. Marino never won one. Neither did Dan Fouts, Ken Johnson, Jim Kelly or Boomer Esiason and they are all in. Rogers is a first rounder.

Comment

Esiason is in?
                    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

of that list, only Eli is one that can even be argued to not be in the HOF.

but he will get in. NY media has alot of pull. Those 2 SBs make up for how bad he can be at other times

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                        Esiason is in?
                        um, no

Comment

Who the hell is Ken Johnson? Anderson?
                          Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                            Who the hell is Ken Johnson? Anderson?
                            Yes Anderson and he is not in. That is almost impossible to believe. Boomer isn't either but he belongs too IMO. Anyway you just can't go by rings alone because Marino was the best of them all and never had a defense to help him. Hard to believe John Hadl isn't in either.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                              Yes Anderson and he is not in. That is almost impossible to believe. Boomer isn't either but he belongs too IMO. Anyway you just can't go by rings alone because Marino was the best of them all and never had a defense to help him. Hard to believe John Hadl isn't in either.
                              The other thing about Marino’s greatness- the WRs played in an era where DBs could still man handle WRs. If Marino played now, he’d throw for 500 yds every week.

Comment

Agree about how Marino would do today. I seem to remember that Marino never really had a consistent running game to help him, but that his WRs were amazing.
                                "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                                — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                                - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Working...
                                X