Long Gets A Raise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Gets A Raise

Good for him, he had as much to do with our success last season as anyone. Made many big plays and provided great leadership.

USA Today Images
    Eagles give Chris Long a raise

By Reuben Frank | NBC Sports Philadelphia March 21, 2018 11:20 AM

Facebook

Google

Twitter

Email

Leave a comment

The Eagles have given veteran defensive end Chris Long a raise, increasing his base salary from $1 million non-guaranteed to $2½ million fully guaranteed.
    The move was first reported by Field Yates of ESPN and confirmed by NBC Sports Philadelphia by a source familiar with the renegotiation who added several details.
    Including a $500,000 roster bonus that was also in the previous version of the contract, Long will receive $3 million guaranteed this year instead of $1.5 million non-guaranteed plus $750,000 in easily achieved roster bonuses.
    The roster bonus the Eagles eliminated was scheduled to pay Long $46,875 for every game in 2018 that he was on the 46-man game-day roster.
    According to the source, Long's 2018 cap figure increases from $2.35 million to $3.1 million. The $750,000 increase comes from the $1.5 million base salary increase combined with the elimination of $750,000 in "likely-to-be-earned" incentives.
    That $3.1 million cap figure comes from the $2.5 million base salary plus the $500,000 roster bonus and $100,000 in pro-rated signing bonus money from his original $500,000 signing bonus.
    The $500,000 roster bonus that carried over from his previous contract isn't technically guaranteed, but Long already received it on the third day of the league year (last week), so we'll call it guaranteed.
    The new deal also includes $750,000 in playing-time, performance and team incentive bonuses that are considered "not likely to be earned" and which do not count against the Eagles' 2018 salary cap.
    Long's original deal, signed before last season, was a five-year contract, but the 2019 through 2021 seasons have already guaranteed to void.
    Long had five sacks and forced four fumbles last year as a rotational defensive end. He wound up playing 496 snaps, 10th-most on the defense and only about 10 per game fewer than starter and Pro Bowler Brandon Graham and five per game fewer than starter Vinny Curry, who the Eagles released.
    Long, who turns 33 next week, has 63½ career sacks. His 5.0 sacks last year were his most since 2013. He's won back-to-back Super Bowls the last two years with the Eagles and Patriots.

this is the stuff that makes the Eagles a top notch organization IMO
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

What salary cap? I'm happy for him though and glad that he's an Eagle!
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Not so fast!

Michael Silver

@MikeSilver
      As @fieldyates reported, the Eagles earlier this month offered to upgrade DE Chris Long's 2018 contract. The guaranteed money is actually in the $4 million range. However, Long has not yet accepted. Still mulling over what a source says is a "football decision" whether to return.

12:16 PM - Mar 21, 2018

Comment

The Eagles have given veteran defensive end Chris Long a raise, but according to one report, Long is concerned enough about his playing time with the Eagles that he's mulling his options regarding his future.
        What is certain is that at some point before March 15, Long signed a new contract with the Eagles that increases his 2018 base salary from $1 million non-guaranteed to $2½ million fully guaranteed.
        However, NFL Network's Michael Silver reported Monday that Long may decide he doesn't want to accept the new contract — which he already signed.
        According to Silver, Long is concerned about how many snaps he would get as a third-down rusher following the addition of Pro Bowl pass rusher Michael Bennett.
        The Eagles officially acquired Bennett on March 14, although the deal was reported a week earlier. Long's new contract was filed with the NFLPA on March 15, but there is a good chance he agreed to it and signed it before the Bennett acquisition.
        Whether or not Long knew Bennett was coming to the Eagles when he signed the restructured deal is unknown. But at some point Long knew about their interest in Bennett and even gave Bennett a "glowing recommendation" when the Eagles asked, according to an interview Long gave to SBNation.
        Long wouldn't appear to have many options. He could retire, in which case he would have to return the $500,000 bonus he received from the Eagles last week.
        He could request a trade, which would be bizarre for someone who signed a contract extension just a few days earlier.
        Or he could simply play under the terms of the contract restructure and pay increase, which was first reported by Field Yates of ESPN and confirmed by NBC Sports Philadelphia with a source familiar with the renegotiation.
        As for the contract itself, including that $500,000 roster bonus — which was also in the previous version of the contract — Long would receive $3 million guaranteed this year instead of $1.5 million non-guaranteed plus $750,000 in easily achieved roster bonuses.
        Long had five sacks and forced four fumbles last year as a rotational defensive end. He wound up playing 496 snaps, 10th-most on the defense and only about 10 per game fewer than starter and Pro Bowler Brandon Graham and five per game fewer than starter Vinny Curry, who the Eagles released.
        Long, who turns 33 next week, has 63½ career sacks. His 5.0 sacks last year were his most since 2013. He's won back-to-back Super Bowls the last two years with the Eagles and Patriots.
        What happens next?
        Long has demonstrated that the money is secondary to him. He donated his entire 2017 base salary to charity.
        At some point very soon, the Eagles will need him to decide whether he's even going to have a 2018 base salary.
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Hmm, This sounds like a bit of buyers remorse from Long. you don't get pick your playing time, you still gotta earn it. Sound as if he is almost afraid to compete.

Despite being a bit player and that I hate his politics--- he was valuable member of this team, his leadership and experience were invaluable to us making it to the top of the mountain. I would hate to see him "retire" (as that really seems to be his only option) but I think his PT playing time can be replaced.

After all he is 33 or 34 now and last year was his best in the last 5, he has more downside then upside left I think.

Comment

Strange Development

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
            Hmm, This sounds like a bit of buyers remorse from Long. you don't get pick your playing time, you still gotta earn it. Sound as if he is almost afraid to compete.

Despite being a bit player and that I hate his politics--- he was valuable member of this team, his leadership and experience were invaluable to us making it to the top of the mountain. I would hate to see him "retire" (as that really seems to be his only option) but I think his PT playing time can be replaced.

After all he is 33 or 34 now and last year was his best in the last 5, he has more downside then upside left I think.
            I didn't think that Chris was very physical last year but he made so many big plays you had to go with him. Pair that with his leadership and all around being a great guy and you have to have him. I hope that he comes back. I don't think that he'd have any less playing time this year because Vinny is gone so I'm not believing a whole lot from that article. I think it's more about him thinking of retiring period. What do you make of it???
            Last edited by Eagle60; 03-21-2018, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Could be as you know what I think of the Media...........

Comment

I don't think Chris ever played as physical as Howie. Unless we are talking about Howie R. Actually I just think Long is a smarter lineman than a physical lineman
                Who knows about the contract. Obviously the money is only important to him in what he does in his charities so I don't see where that could be the issue. And I agree with whoever said they don't think his PT will be reduced. I would think Schwartz will keep the same type of rotations in order to keep guys fresh unless they guy is getting completely outplayed. I'd fall on the side where he just might want to retire.
                The question I would have is whether the birds would have changed their Curry options had they known Long might not be there.
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Weird situation I think the Eagles offered to give him a raise. He hasn’t signed it. Playing time may have been an issue up until they let Vinny go. Now that shouldn’t be an issue, he may very well be looking to retire. The Eagles kept the offer out there and if comes back he gets it, if not they get the cap space.
                  Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Just sayin..... The report sez Long HAS signed the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                      Just sayin..... The report sez Long HAS signed the contract.
                      He hasn’t there have been reports that refute that. Makes sense based on Longs comments the other day
                      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ne...4-4bdafee51f7b

Spads says he's on the team and he's listed on their roster on the website.

Comment

This too-note time

Field Yates

@FieldYates
                          Sources: the Eagles re-did the contract of DE Chris Long, guaranteeing him $3M this season. His base salary jumped to $2.5M guaranteed (from $1M non-guaranteed), with the team eliminating his $750k in per-game roster bonuses & $750k in incentives. Doing a good player a solid.

10:22 AM - Mar 21, 2018

Comment

Working...
                          X