• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike likes Wentz

WR Mike Wallace Here To 'Play Role And Win'
    Posted 4 hours ago

By Dave Spadaro

For nine seasons wide receiver Mike Wallace has been doing his thing, which is catching a football and outrunning defenders for big plays. It sounds pretty simple, doesn’t it? Blessed with outstanding speed and a competitive fire, Wallace has averaged 15 yards per reception with 57 touchdowns in his career. He has no intention of slowing down now that he’s joining the Eagles after signing a one-year contract on Friday ...
    For nine seasons wide receiver Mike Wallace has been doing his thing, which is catching a football and outrunning defenders for big plays. It sounds pretty simple, doesn’t it? Blessed with outstanding speed and a competitive fire, Wallace has averaged 15 yards per reception with 57 touchdowns in his career. He has no intention of slowing down now that he’s joining the Eagles after signing a one-year contract on Friday.

“I’m going to keep doing what I’ve been doing,” Wallace said. “Catching the football, making big plays, having fun. I’m here to win. I’m at the point in my career where that is most important. This is my 10th season. I went to the Super Bowl in my second year (with the Steelers) and we lost and I thought, ‘I’ll be back again. No worries.’ Well, I’ve been to the playoffs two other times. I haven’t been past the first round in eight years. I want more than that. I want to win and the Eagles have a lot of pieces in place.

“I feel like this is my best opportunity to make a run.”

The biggest piece, as Wallace looks at things, is at the quarterback position in the form of quarterback Carson Wentz. He saw Wentz two seasons ago when the Eagles narrowly fell to the Ravens in Baltimore and the rookie quarterback led a fourth-quarter comeback that opened Wallace’s eyes. Then as Wallace watched the Eagles from afar in 2017 and the Eagles led the league in scoring before Wentz’s season-ending knee injury on December 10 in Los Angeles.

Clearly, players around the league notice other players. And it was impossible not to see the greatness in Wentz.

“No. 11, man, he’s got it all,” Wallace said after meeting with the Philadelphia media at a press conference at the NovaCare Complex and saying that Wentz was “99 percent” of the reason he came to Philadelphia. “You can’t help but see what kind of quarterback he is and that’s exciting to me. I’m going to do whatever they want me to do. I know there are a lot of playmakers on this team. I’m just here to fit in and do my part.

“I look at him and I’m impressed by the way he plays football, the way he moves in the pocket, the way he throws the football, and his competitiveness.”

Wallace said he had multiple offers for more dollars, but he liked the upside of the Eagles on the field and in the locker room, where he cited a “strong culture that is ready to go” and said he is here to “step and play a role” in the offense. With his big-time speed, Wallace has often been stereotyped as a one-trick pony who runs “go” routes only. He strongly disagrees. Wallace says he’s caught long passes and short passes and has run all the routes.

Spadaro
    In this offense, Wallace will be a weapon with speed that defenses must respect, and he will also have a chance to win on slant routes and wide receiver screens and everything the Eagles do. In a very rapid manner the Eagles were able to move on after trading Torrey Smith to Carolina and adding a piece to join Alshon Jeffery, Nelson Agholor, Mack Hollins, Shelton Gibson and some other young receivers (Bryce Treggs and Greg Ward, among them) to make for an extremely competitive room.

“I think it’s going to be great,” Wallace said. “We’re going to be a group. We’re going to make it happen. Those guys are the defending World Champions, man. I’m just trying to come in and play my part and do whatever I can to help the team win and make people know I’m not old, I’m not washed up and whatever else they’ve got to say.”

Wallace joked that his hamstring was “tight” when he was timed in 4.33 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine prior to the 2009 draft and that he can still run as well 10 years later. Whatever the time is, Wallace can still run. He is explosive. And he’s a veteran who knows how to prepare for a long grind of a season.

If it all works out, Wallace will help the Eagles make another long, very prosperous, postseason run doing whatever the offense needs him to do.

“That’s the idea, that’s why I’m here,” Wallace said, smiling. “We’ve been talking for a long time. This did not happen overnight. I thought a lot about it. I had other teams interested. But it’s time to win and the Eagles give me the best shot. I’m going to work hard and just try to drop some bombs, play a role and help this team try to go back to back (Super Bowl wins). I just want to win. I have an ego, but at the same time you have to be able to put it aside. And being an older guy, you have to learn how to control it and do what’s best for you and the team.

“I’m excited to be here and do what I can do to help this team win. I feel like it’s going to be a great situation. That’s why I’m here.”
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Does anyone know if Wallace tried to get on the field after any recent super bowls?
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
        He's been a pain in the ass everywhere that he's played. On the other hand the 2 guys before him (Maclin and Smith) were loved by their teammates. I hope that he smartens up.
        I just read that he was the most liked player in Baltimore both inside the clubhouse AND by the media. I have no idea if that's true or not, but just read it.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
          I just read that he was the most liked player in Baltimore both inside the clubhouse AND by the media. I have no idea if that's true or not, but just read it.
          How many times do I have to write that I was wrong? I've seen the articles and posted them too. Have you read this stuff or do you just like to bang on me?
          Last edited by Eagle60; 03-24-2018, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
            Does anyone know if Wallace tried to get on the field after any recent super bowls?

He did in fact, but only after first obtaining a safe passage slip from the local chapter of the AARP.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
              He did in fact, but only after first obtaining a safe passage slip from the local chapter of the AARP.
              I think that they gave him one as a courtesy but wouldn't give him the 10% discount.

Comment

....do you just like to bang on me?
                Wow this brings back memories of my dating days. Are you breaking up with me too?
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                  Wow this brings back memories of my dating days. Are you breaking up with me too?
                  Just keep putting out and we'll be fine.

Comment

Wait... I gotta find a few more Wallace articles..........

Comment

There's nothing really major about him that I don't like, but I remember him doing a lot of bitching in Pittsburg about not getting the ball and not getting paid. For all of that speed he has bounced around a lot and never really did much after he left Pitt. I always wondered why. Why would a guy with that kind of talent never stick? I'll go along though and it looks like a good signing. I still wish that they had just kept Torey though.
                      Actually, everyone in the world knows that Mike Wallace is the nicest person in the NFL, and he did a really good interview on 60 Minutes as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X