Draft strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft strategy

The Eagles’ stated draft strategy is to take the best player available. Like others on this forum, I suspect their actual strategy differs. I hope that they draft the players who, they believe, are most likely to improve the team, currently and over the long term. Debates on draft strategy are often about balancing current and long-term needs, and the Eagles seem to focus on the long-term, too much in my view.

One way to draft successfully is to identify relative bargains, something that the Eagles have sometimes done. The classic example is Brian Dawkins, drafted in the second round. As I recall, that pick was roundly derided at the time, because safeties were then typically drafted in later rounds and Dawkins was considered a corner/safety tweener. Since then, in part because of Dawkins, safeties like him are often drafted in the first round. The Eagles were also ahead of the curve in drafting Randall Cunningham, Keith Jackson, and Jerome Brown. I’m not sure who the relative bargains are in this draft, but it may be traditional fullbacks who can block well, move the pile, and catch a pass in the flat once or twice a game.

A second draft strategy is to try making the offense or defense dominant enough to carry the team. A dominant offense or defense needs playmakers, which are difficult to identify in the draft, even among the top few picks of the first round. I doubt that the Eagles can use this strategy successfully, drafting in the second half of the first round. For that reason, for example, I doubt that the Eagles will draft a wide receiver in the first or second round, unless that receiver is a superior punt and kickoff returner (who could be a playmaker on special teams).

A third draft strategy is to try to shore up the weakest unit of the team (offense, defense, or special teams). I think the last couple of years, the Eagles have lost too many games because of their special teams, and that would be my focus in this[ draft. That focus does not mean that the top draft picks should necessarily be drafted to play on special teams. For example, if the Eagles could draft Chris Williams of Vanderbilt with their 19th pick, I hope they do it. I also hope that they draft a defensive lineman early in the draft. In recent years, they have carried 10 offensive and 10 defensive linemen, looking for replacements for Thomas and Runyan and trying to reinvigorate their defensive line. I think that they would be better off if they carried only 9 of each. Carrying the additional linemen has hurt their special teams, since they carry fewer smaller players, which make up most of the special teams. It has also hurt the team, because special teams is a good place for young, talented players to make an impact right away and gain experience.

A final draft strategy concerns how to balance athletic ability, college performance, and character in potential draftees. I like the Eagles’ take on character. They also seem to emphasize performance and ability in the first round of the draft, and take more risks on athletic players with more limited experience as the draft goes on. I like that approach, although the Eagles sometimes give short shrift to athletic ability in the early rounds. (Freddy Mitchell and Barry Gardner anyone?) I like the idea of drafting for potential in the late rounds, and so was not upset that the Eagles drafted Barksdale in the 6th round last year, because his upside seemed so great.

Any thoughts?

Re: Draft strategy

Originally posted by volbird
    The Eagles’ stated draft strategy is to take the best player available. Like others on this forum, I suspect their actual strategy differs. I hope that they draft the players who, they believe, are most likely to improve the team, currently and over the long term. Debates on draft strategy are often about balancing current and long-term needs, and the Eagles seem to focus on the long-term, too much in my view.
    Good to see you again, volbird. I am not sure the Eagles have ever stated definitively what their draft strategy is. I think it changes every year depending on many variables including current roster, needs, strong/weak draft positions, FA etc.

Generally, they have said the draft is not necessarily for immediate impact, but rather to enhance depth, infuse the team with youth, fill certain holes etc. This does not mean their picks never have immediate impact; as we have seen with Simon, McNabb, Patterson, MLewis, Buck, Reed, Celek, Gaither, Andrews, RBrown etc. They are not afraid to give young guys immediate shots, but normally they already have a good starter in place and picks have to wait a bit. We have seen this with Lito, SBrown, Westbrook, Jackson, Considine, Cole etc.

The Eagles seem to use FA and trades more for immediate impact or superior playmaker upgrades ala Owens, Runyan, Kearse, Curtis, Samuel etc.

I am not sure how an NFL team in a cap league and 53 man roster could do it any different. The Pats, Colts etc. do it this way. The difference is those teams have been a little more successful in their drafts or have gotten lucky whereas I would argue the Eagles have gotten overly unlucky. Moore ruptures his knee. Reed wraps his leg around a fence. J-Mac gets shot. Buck blows out knees in successive years. Burgess sits for most of 3 seasons. Andrews loses his rookie year in the 1st game etc. If Belichek knew Brady was a HOF QB, ny name is Santa Claus.

I want them focused on the long term because that is how we stay an elite organization/team for the longest period possible and have as many chances to win the ring as possible. What happened recently is a result of the unlucky/poor drafts of 2003-2004, a rash of injuries and a major core transition initiated after the SB year and mostly completed this past season.

One way to draft successfully is to identify relative bargains, something that the Eagles have sometimes done. The classic example is Brian Dawkins, drafted in the second round. As I recall, that pick was roundly derided at the time, because safeties were then typically drafted in later rounds and Dawkins was considered a corner/safety tweener. Since then, in part because of Dawkins, safeties like him are often drafted in the first round. The Eagles were also ahead of the curve in drafting Randall Cunningham, Keith Jackson, and Jerome Brown. I’m not sure who the relative bargains are in this draft, but it may be traditional fullbacks who can block well, move the pile, and catch a pass in the flat once or twice a game.
    Dawk is a good example or Joyner or Simmons as late round picks or Trotter. Other examples are Westbrook out of Villanova in the 3rd round or Gaither/Cole in the 5th round or the boon of UDFA the Eagles have found in Akers, Jackson, Walker etc. during the Reid era. I think the Eagles do this well and definitely like to find gems other teams may overlook. Take the signing of Clemons this off-season for instance; according to reports several other teams were hard after him, but the Eagles got there first and got it done. Many fans say, "who?", but the Eagles care most about talent/character and less about name recognition.

A second draft strategy is to try making the offense or defense dominant enough to carry the team. A dominant offense or defense needs playmakers, which are difficult to identify in the draft, even among the top few picks of the first round. I doubt that the Eagles can use this strategy successfully, drafting in the second half of the first round. For that reason, for example, I doubt that the Eagles will draft a wide receiver in the first or second round, unless that receiver is a superior punt and kickoff returner (who could be a playmaker on special teams).
    I agree for the most part...the Eagles were able to when Reid first arrived because they were drafting high and landed McNabb, Simon etc. who were dominant players, but OTOH, the Eagles have been successful in moving up/down in the draft and getting stars like Andrews and my guess is Bunkley will continue to emerge. J-Mac was a miss on this strategy and the jury is out on Justice, but I think he still can be very good at RT. The defense seemed pretty strong last season overall and adding Samuel & Clemons + whatever in the draft gives me hope depending on what they do with Lito. They have already brought in some pieces for ST and I think some shoes are still to drop on the offensive side.

A third draft strategy is to try to shore up the weakest unit of the team (offense, defense, or special teams). I think the last couple of years, the Eagles have lost too many games because of their special teams, and that would be my focus in this[ draft. That focus does not mean that the top draft picks should necessarily be drafted to play on special teams. For example, if the Eagles could draft Chris Williams of Vanderbilt with their 19th pick, I hope they do it. I also hope that they draft a defensive lineman early in the draft. In recent years, they have carried 10 offensive and 10 defensive linemen, looking for replacements for Thomas and Runyan and trying to reinvigorate their defensive line. I think that they would be better off if they carried only 9 of each. Carrying the additional linemen has hurt their special teams, since they carry fewer smaller players, which make up most of the special teams. It has also hurt the team, because special teams is a good place for young, talented players to make an impact right away and gain experience.
    I disagree...games are won in the trenches and depth at both OL and DL is a big component of their success. We had very good ST as recently as 2005 and for years before that with this strategy. I think again it is a result of the unlucky/poor drafts in 2003-2004 and the turnover of the core that has caused the decreased perfomance not to mention some management decisions like cutting Bloom & sticking Lewis in as KR/PR who had never done the job before. I think the signings of Klecko, Bomain and Wilson are the beginning of ST changes that help improve the unit.

A final draft strategy concerns how to balance athletic ability, college performance, and character in potential draftees. I like the Eagles’ take on character. They also seem to emphasize performance and ability in the first round of the draft, and take more risks on athletic players with more limited experience as the draft goes on. I like that approach, although the Eagles sometimes give short shrift to athletic ability in the early rounds. (Freddy Mitchell and Barry Gardner anyone?) I like the idea of drafting for potential in the late rounds, and so was not upset that the Eagles drafted Barksdale in the 6th round last year, because his upside seemed so great.

Any thoughts?
    I agree...Mitchell was a total need reach which is almost always a mistake and Gardner supposedly never picked up the system. The ones that really cause gray hair are ones like Caver. JJ has said many times the kid was a talent maniac who performed in college and impressed them alot in try-outs etc., but when it came to the games the talent never got translated. JJ always said he was mystified by Caver who he thought was going to be a star.
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

One way to draft successfully is to identify relative bargains, something that the Eagles have sometimes done. The classic example is Brian Dawkins, drafted in the second round. As I recall, that pick was roundly derided at the time, because safeties were then typically drafted in later rounds and Dawkins was considered a corner/safety tweener. Since then, in part because of Dawkins, safeties like him are often drafted in the first round.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall Dawkins was a sure fire 1st rounder until it was disclosed he had some medical condition coming out of college, (I don't remember what it was, heart murmur?), that dropped him into the 2nd round. The Birds cleared him medically when other teams had not and they got a steal in the 2nd rd.
      Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

I'm not sure about Dawkins but I know Sheldon had some med questions which caused others to overlook him.

I'm not sure you can include any pre-Andy draft picks in a discussion of the Eagles draft strategy unless it is a discussion of how the strategy has changed over the years with the change in leadership. Mamula is a classic example (and I am not a Mamula critic) of drafting for the now. Previous Eagle coaches/owners/etc had different draft strategies than Andy & Co.
        Currently, I would say, drafting for the future is a conerstone of their thought process. They will move up if they see an immediate need and don't see what they want at their position but it has to meet a high threshold and gets a lot of scrutiny IMO. I also think part of the strategy is to put a lot into the scouting dept in order to put time and effort into the low round/UDFA area. Lots of depth players and unknown gems can be found there. I'm not sure a lot of teams do that.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Working...
        X