No announcement yet.

Eagles Trade for Michael Bennett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he had roughly the same numbers as Graham with 12 more QB hits. Could this also be a message to Graham ?
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Ajayi came here with a rep for being a clubhouse cancer, Blount was cut in Pittsburgh because he walked off the field before the game was over because he was not being used. Both seemed to be fine here. If Bennett doesn't fit they won't keep him, its that simple. Its a good bet though he is squeaky clean while here.
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

As soon as I saw the trade I thought you might have a question about it MD. It was actually my first reaction also. I trust the process on the birds and I understand Curry makes too much and Graham is likely to want too much. Bennett is a quality player that can give what they gave for less. We'll see what happens. We may think this locker room is too strong for one player to change but we don't know that is fact. As always we will have to see it play out. I have some reservation.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Bennett is a pain in the ass and is here on a 1 year deal. I really have concerns about the next couple of years. The "core" everybody talks about is going to take some major hits this season. Vinny is most likely gone along with Allen and Long. That's 3 high character guys and Graham who will be bitching about his contract. Who is going to be playing DE coming 2019?

I'm wondering what's going to happen to the "outstanding culture" that we have when team leaders are shown the door? I'm not blaming Howie because this is the nature of the business, but anybody counting on a Patriot dynasty being developed is in for a rude awakening.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I thought he had injury issues and I don't love it initially.
            But 8.5 sacks in a banged up year is not bad.

I just hope Chris Long is back

Comment

Chris Long isn't going anywhere. He is productive and inexpensive. Curry and Beau Allen are hardly the core. They were rotational players on a damn good defensive line.

Worry about 2019 when we get to 2019.
              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Bennett has a lot of "asshole" in him. Maybe the Birds' locker room is strong enough
                that it won't be affected but I'm not a fan of him becoming an Eagle.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                  Chris Long isn't going anywhere. He is productive and inexpensive. Curry and Beau Allen are hardly the core. They were rotational players on a damn good defensive line.

Worry about 2019 when we get to 2019.
                  Well I'm just quoting Howie when he threw $50 million contracts around to sign his "core guys". Beau is a solid team guy too.

Comment

I agree, I think Long will stay, and the loss of Allen is not that big a deal-- BUT-- I'm just not convinced that Bennett is not just maybe on the downside, just sayin he might be. Still worrying a bit about the clubhouse starting to worry more about social issues then making this team a repeater.

Listen as I have said all off season-- Dougie and Howie (the Front office in general) get my benefit of the doubt. I am now hearing all the right things -- so maybe I will feel better about this as time moves on. Looks like it is the Seahawks just blowing up the entire D team... so that does answer one of the questions I had going in. But the social/locker-room/focus/age thingie still has me just a tad wary.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                      I agree, I think Long will stay, and the loss of Allen is not that big a deal-- BUT-- I'm just not convinced that Bennett is not just maybe on the downside, just sayin he might be. Still worrying a bit about the clubhouse starting to worry more about social issues then making this team a repeater.

Listen as I have said all off season-- Dougie and Howie (the Front office in general) get my benefit of the doubt. I am now hearing all the right things -- so maybe I will feel better about this as time moves on. Looks like it is the Seahawks just blowing up the entire D team... so that does answer one of the questions I had going in. But the social/locker-room/focus/age thingie still has me just a tad wary.
                      The Hawks said everybody but Russell is on the table so the rebuild angle is true. That being said I think they are happy to get rid of Bennett just like they wouldn't shed a tear if somebody made an offer for Sherman. They're both tough to deal with.

Comment

Yeah but Sherman has those 2 (not one) bad Achilles.

Comment

thought Long was considering retirement ?
                          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                            thought Long was considering retirement ?
                            Last I heard he was coming back and excited to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                              10 million is not the right number. They only have to cut about 4 million.
                              Cap is 177.2. Right now the Eagles top 51 on overthecap.com is 186.3. So OK, it's about $9.1 million. Their numbers adjusted for more than Donnie Jones it looks like; they were at 11 the other day before Donnie Jones, which I thought was about a net $1 million gain. Not sure why. That is just to get to March 14 though (and cannot use trades to get there). After that we will need to cut more in order to sign draft picks and low-level free agents.

I know the Eagles have it figured out -- we are mainly waiting to see how. Celek and Smith seem likely, but that would be about $8 million of it. They could restructure someone else, etc., so it's not a big deal. But we will then have to trade Curry etc. before finalizing the Bennett trade, and that sort of thing.

Bennett will replace Curry this year and will be insurance for Graham next year. And even that will help the Eagles at the negotiating table this summer, so maybe Graham would agree to a slightly better deal this year. If he is determined to play it out (risking injury) and get to free agency, well, at least this year we have Bennett and Graham as starters with Long and Barnett rotating in. Next year, if Graham re-signs we can cut Bennett, and if not we still have Bennett and Barnett and will look to draft / free agency for more. Or maybe Long comes back another year.

There could be some unwanted publicity issues, but we'll see how this locker room does with him. He had numbers similar to Graham this year, if not better (albeit in a lot more snaps). He is a large upgrade on Curry, so the DL could be even better this year, and we have some protection going forward. There were chances our 2019 DL could suddenly be pretty bad (only Barnett was signed at DE) but this solves that.

Comment

I'm no fan of Bennett but apparently many Dallas fans are.
                                They're savaging Jerry Jones on The Cowboy's Zone board for sitting by while Howie makes the Birds even better.

Strangely, there were no comments about Philly's trophy case.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/mich...eagles.397880/

The comments reflecting envy of Howie's superiority to Jerrah and Stephen were constant.
                                The "how does he keep doing it?" theme, in reference to Howie swinging great deals, were frequent.
                                this was my favorite..."Unreal..It’s like they make trades in Madden and all trades are accepted."
                                Last edited by tinopuno; 03-07-2018, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X