Observations from Yesterdays game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations from Yesterdays game

A win is a win is a win, but its even sweeter when its a playoff win. Some say it was an ugly win, I don' t think there is any such thing.

1. Foles was really good yesterday. He made two mistakes that I saw, he missed Burton on a deep throw and the almost INT that Smith caught. On the almost INT he got blasted as the threw it, he had Ertz, right read held the ball a split second too long. Collingworthless blasted him for the wounded duck he threw on the first play, obviously he doesn't understand the swirling winds and how they effect the play in the Linc. Later in the game Matt Ryan had the same type throw. Anytime a QB goes 23-30 even though he didn't have any TD's its a very good game. .

2. This team continues to overcome mistakes. 4 fumbles, two lost, the Ajayi one was text book helmet on the ball, the special teams one hit three guys. The wind was a big time factor in that. I have to say for the luck the Eagles had the Falcons had just as many. Agholor running into Clement caused the fumble at the goal line, not really Clements fault as he gets credited with it. The Blount one was interesting ball was right in his belly, it was almost like he didn't expect it. We can't make these type of mistakes going forward and expect to win.

3. Schwartz really aggravates me at times with his bend but don't break play calls. I was always taught if you blitz you need to jam the receivers to give that extra split second to get there. There were so many times in that game where we brought the extra man and we played 10 yards off the the receivers, easy pitch an catch. The fact that he kept McCloud 20 yards deep even when with the wind you knew there weren't going to get the ball down there was like playing 10 or 11 football. I will say they only gave up 10 points 7 of which were due to the special teams but they almost lost. Schwartz needs to tightened it up as we are not going to be in blow out situations where we are winning big going forward. This defense can be special.

4. Alshon Jeffrey was every bit as effective as Julio Jones in this game. He made some really big plays, none bigger than the 15 yard catch and get out of bounds right before the half. I am thrilled we will have this guy for years to come. Now we just need to get somebody on the other side of him.

5. Nigel Bradham was all over the field yesterday. He missed a tackle early after that he was blowing up plays and was great. I fear he is going to cost too much to keep in the offseason. He is great player that nobody outside of Philly talks about.

6. I saw where people were saying Matt Ryan played bad. I thought the kid was great, that play to score the TD they had was amazing, very Carson Wentz like. He fired high on the last play but Julio Jones has caught many of those in his career. The Falcons didn't lose because of Matt Ryan they lost because the Eagles were the better team.

7.I hope that Doug and Schwartz are learning the Wind situations at the Linc more as he goes on. The winds in South Philly are complex to say the least. You do have to make adjustments and you do have coach differently. I thought when they sent Elliot out for the extra point it was a mistake. A guy who was at the game said that was some of the strongest winds of the game and you could see the flags at the top of the goal post that proved it. It may have been a situation where we should have went for two. Knowing those winds are a huge home field advantage.

8. Elliot continues to prove he could be something special. After over compensating for the wind on the extra point, he comes in and absolutely nails a 53 yarder. sometimes we forget he is a rookie. He has a chance to be in this town a very long time.

9. Punt returner should be something high on the list of to do's in the off season. Barner was as much of a problem with that punt as anyone. He has to come up and field that. Its not the first time he has done that this year. He is a fill in for Sproles but a young returner should be on the list.

10. The offensive line was GREAT yesterday. Vaiti was a stud at left tackle. He got called for the off sides but that wasn't on him, everybody but Kelce moved, that was either on Kelce or Foles. Otherwise against a pretty good Falcon front these guys controlled the line of scrimage.

11. The defensive line was very disruptive yesterday. They shut down Freeman to the tune of 10 carries for 7 yards. Coleman had more success but still they both combined for less than 100 yards on 20 carries. Aside from one big run for 23 yards which was sprung by a hold that wasn't called (can't expect those in the playoffs BTW) they really bottled up a very good run game.

Overall this season has been more than a success. There is just something about this team. I doubted them at the end and I was totally wrong. I figured another year another defensive collapse at the end. Not this time, not in this game and this train continues to roll. I wouldn't sleep on this team winning next week two. Doesn't matter which team they play, at home, cut down on the mistakes some and we will win and go to the Super Bowl.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Taz... agree on all counts. Here is what’s exciting to me.

We have a LT of the future... Big V is good enough and athletic enough. Is he Tra Thomas? Not right now... but he could be someday. He really played well.

Burton is good also.

And this secondary is really good just need a young safety. Imagine if Mills could only catch.

Clement is really good also. Next year Rb group will be Ajayi, Clement, Sproles, and either Barner or Smallwood and we will be solid.

Agholor is a tough sob. How the McLeod hit was a PF and the Agholor clothesline was not I have no clue.

Ertz really seems to embrace the blocking aspect. Seems like he wants to be a complete TE.

The officiating was oK. I was waiting for the phantom dpi Call at the end to give the falcons more chances at the TD.
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Nice job taz. I think the Bount fumble was an RPO and he thought it was going to be a pass which really is an unforgivable error seeing as though every one of the ones they ran yesterday was a presnap read. Foles didn't kill a single play yesterday. Foles made a perfect hadoff and he didn't even try to handle it. I'm not quite so forgiving on the Ajayi fumble either. He's had 3 in 71 carries for the Eagles which is horrible. I thought he ran great and played great for the most part. He also had a beautiful breakup on a perfect pass that Foles threw him. WTF was that lol?
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I agree with all your points taz. The wind yesterday was amazing. I watched th game on tv and they put up a virtual ‘windsock’ showing the wind direction as the kickers lined up. The damned thing swung 180 degrees in a split second, showing just how crazy the wind swirls in the stadium. There’s not way anyone can adjust to that type of instant changes. By the same token I have to give Pederson credit for trusting Elliot to make the FGs in the same conditions - especially after missing a short PAT, and Elliot gets huge props for shaking off the miss and making those kicks.

Looking at possible off season signings to replace Smith there are a a lot of viable options in the FA market next year. A couple of guys I would consider include:

Jordan Matthews. He’s 26 and we know what we get with him. He didn’t light the world on fire in Buffalo so maybe we get him for a reasonable deal. Lining up opposite AJ will open things up for him and the crossing routes in the middle with Agholor could be extremely effective.

Allen Robinson, Jax - Coming off a torn ACL in week one he is definitely a risk. Bring him in on a 1 year “prove it” deal and see if he can return to the 80 reception, 1,400 yard, 14 TD player he was two seasons ago. He has the size and experience to flourish in this system and as a #2 he could be worth a 1 year roll of the dice.

Cameron Meredith, Chi. - Big, strong and young he could be a great player - assuming he recovers from a torn ACL. Again, it’s a roll of the dice with good potential winnings that could come at a price.

Some other guys who are not my top choices but still worth consideration are;

Sammy Watkins - Assuming the Rams let him get to FA he could give the Eagles one of the best WR corps in the league (at least on paper). He is an injury waiting to happen,has never really lived up to his potential and likely will cost a fortune - but you have to at least look at him.

Marqise Lee, Jax - Solid player who never really had a real breakout year. His upside isn’t as high as some of the other guys, but he could be a really good #2 depending on what he costs.

Taylor Gabriel, Atl. - He isn’t the biggest receiver at 5’-8” but he is fast, really fast. He had two good seasons with Atlanta before they brought in that dope Sarkisian as the OC.
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

No doubt they played a good game. Bend but don't break has ALWAYS frustrated me but it is a viable defense. Hell that sticks defense bugs me too but it is effective when it is third and 20. It is easy to nitpick a here and there but I can't bust on Schwartz. The birds D is playing at a high level. Somewhere along the line Cox must have said something about being more rested because of the playtime early in the year since the sideline reporter was repeating it.
          I'm good with Barner. He said in an interview that he would like to do a better job at going up and grabbing some of the punts but, as you say, the winds were brutal. There is no way in hell he should have been running forward trying to grab a punt in uncertain conditions. He called people off, and maybe waited too long, but he made the right call in not trying to catch a punt he wasn't confident in.
          They have a hard time getting Jeffrey the ball but when they do he is money. They don't seem to go to him early whether it is because he is drawing the best coverage or trying to lull the D into thinking he isn't in the game plan I don't know but I'd like to see them try to go to him early next week.
          As for the future I'll say this, they will be picking low and won't have a lot of picks. They need to be good in FA, work to keep the players they want (i.e. Curry contract and Bradham), and really work to score some late gems. This is a pretty young team and they have some good depth. CB should be good, RB should be good, QB should be good, TE should be good, DL should be good.
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Nick did a remarkable job . I'm trying to remember, but of the 7 incompletions, how many came after the first 3 series ?
            That punt fiasco destroyed the rhythm, I really feel that we were going to rip out their hearts if we field that punt and go on offense.
            Doug was freaking brilliant yesterday.
            The offensive line did a pretty damn fine job against a pretty hot defense.
            Our LBs played a great game IMO and if they continue, this team will be a force.
            Ertz played a pretty good game yesterday, not only making key catches, but blocked well to boot.
            WTF was the owner doing dancing in the locker room ?
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Doug had a major issue with time management at the end of the half. But did a great job overall. I thought we were absolutely gonna get hosed on the challenge with sanu.

Comment

You're right MM, we won the game in the trenches.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                  Doug had a major issue with time management at the end of the half. But did a great job overall. I thought we were absolutely gonna get hosed on the challenge with sanu.
                  There was only one missed decision at the end of the half -- should have called timeout immediately rather than try to get another play off, which of course led to the false start and the need to burn the timeout anyways. So that one bad decision sort of snowballed. I can understand trying to preserve them when you don't make a first down on a play, but... should have just taken it, or called a play more likely to get out of bounds. In the end it worked out -- Atlanta was expecting a Hail Mary and didn't defend Alshon on the sideline, and we got the FG.

Thought the Sanu call was a really good challenge. After all the catches they overturned this year, that would have been stupefying if they had called that one a catch. The back of the hand may have qualified for control, but that same back of the hand lost control once the ball hit the ground.

Overall thought the refs and replay did a very good job. Replay took a bit long a couple times on obvious calls, but they got them right. We don't get that end-of-half FG if they don't call in the tipped punt. A couple of our early drives were really helped by penalties as well -- they at least helped change field position.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                    There was only one missed decision at the end of the half -- should have called timeout immediately rather than try to get another play off, which of course led to the false start and the need to burn the timeout anyways. So that one bad decision sort of snowballed. I can understand trying to preserve them when you don't make a first down on a play, but... should have just taken it, or called a play more likely to get out of bounds. In the end it worked out -- Atlanta was expecting a Hail Mary and didn't defend Alshon on the sideline, and we got the FG.

Thought the Sanu call was a really good challenge. After all the catches they overturned this year, that would have been stupefying if they had called that one a catch. The back of the hand may have qualified for control, but that same back of the hand lost control once the ball hit the ground.

Overall thought the refs and replay did a very good job. Replay took a bit long a couple times on obvious calls, but they got them right. We don't get that end-of-half FG if they don't call in the tipped punt. A couple of our early drives were really helped by penalties as well -- they at least helped change field position.
                    replay has been stupefying all year. I totally expected a boning. What I found more surprising is the amount of luck we seem to have going right now. Even the bad luck of a punt hitting 3 of our players didn't kill us. I don't ever remember a punt hitting 2 of our players before.
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post

Riveron has had quite a few stupefying calls this year so I was waiting for the shoe to drop, especially when it took so long to call. Seriously Doug, how can you not call timeout there??? That's just scary. And how can you even think of going for a TD on forth down in that situation. Reich must have been screaming timeout in the headset, at least I hope that he was. Sometimes I think Dougie is like my dog and you have to save him from himself LOL!

Comment

I kinda like our defense at that point in the game and on the 2 yard line , but I'm glad things went the way they did. I really expected him to go for it though

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                          I kinda like our defense at that point in the game and on the 2 yard line , but I'm glad things went the way they did. I really expected him to go for it though
                          Think of it this way MM. Here's how I would make the decision. You know the game is going down to the wire. What would you rather defend, the whole field and you have to stop a team at your 40 yard line to prevent a field goal or defend the endzone when you can pack in your defense and not worry about getting beat deep? I'd take the latter anytime.

Comment

I get it, but some coaches would have loved to make a statement there

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                              Think of it this way MM. Here's how I would make the decision. You know the game is going down to the wire. What would you rather defend, the whole field and you have to stop a team at your 40 yard line to prevent a field goal or defend the endzone when you can pack in your defense and not worry about getting beat deep? I'd take the latter anytime.
                              You’re assuming we don’t make it. But if you have a play that you really like and thing it has at least a 50% chance. You make it, it’s game over.

I liked the decision to kick the FG but I understand the temptation to go for it.
                              Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X