Observations from Yesterdays game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
    You're right MM, we won the game in the trenches.
    some reading for you 60

AP Images
    How Eagles' O-line bullied Falcons into submission

By Andrew Kulp | The700Level January 14, 2018 10:41 AM

Eagles-Falcons Top Photos

Top photos from Eagles-Falcons

Here are the top photos from the Eagles' 15-10 win over the Falcons Saturday night.

The Eagles' strategy wasn't to simply run the football against the Falcons. The idea was for the Eagles' offensive line to pound the Falcons defense into submission.
    And it worked.
    Everybody expected the Eagles to lean on the ground attack in their playoff game on Saturday. Most felt it necessary to hide or protect Nick Foles. Some thought it time to unleash workhorse running back Jay Ajayi. Strong wind and freezing temperatures were factors as well.
    The Eagles had something else in mind. They felt they could exhaust the Falcons.
    "We wanted to wear them down physically," Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson said postgame.
    It's not an innovative concept. Hand the ball to a pair of 220-plus-pound backs 24 times behind an offensive line that features three Pro Bowlers and defenses tend to erode. Defensive linemen tire. Linebackers and defensive backs lose their courage.
    Plus, the Eagles were fresh off a bye week and players extra rest for nearly a month with a playoff spot and seeding wrapped up. The Falcons had to scrap and claw just to get into the tournament, then fly from Atlanta to Los Angeles for a game, back home and up to Philadelphia in a span of eight days.
    Johnson thinks the Falcons were "gassed" by the end. Probably cold, too. Similar sentiments were shared throughout the Eagles' locker room.
    "If you really look through the game, you could tell that their defense got worn down early, and then in certain drives where we kept going at them, they got worn down in those drives," Ajayi said.
    Ajayi was referring to two second-half drives that went for a combined 26 plays and took almost 14 minutes minutes off the clock. Though both possessions fell short of the end zone, the ensuing field goals proved to be the decisive points in a 15-10 Eagles victory.
    Ironically, the majority of the damage done on those drives came via Foles and the passing attack.
    “I knew we could run the ball just from the first half, what we were able to do," Johnson said. "We were able to constantly wear them down, grind them down, then hit them with some play action on the back end.”
    Ajayi carried the ball seven times for 49 yards in the first quarter, while Blount raced to the pylon for the Eagles' lone touchdown in the second. But by the end of the evening, the duo had only averaged 3.0 yards per attempt.
    The steady barrage of runs still helped to soften a Falcons pass rush that recorded just one sack and four quarterback hits in the contest. Foles looked increasingly comfortable as the game progressed, consistently stepping up into clean pockets and throwing darts to keep the chains moving.
    “I think that we have really good players who ended up getting the job done," said Eagles center Jason Kelce. "We’ve been pretty solid in pass blocking all year long with the guys that we have and with the coaches who have put us in good situations.”
    The Eagles relied heavily on screen passes, perhaps to make Foles' job easier. Regardless, it had the added benefit of getting their linemen out in space, where they could really punish Falcons linebackers and defensive backs.
    No play was more emblematic of the way the Eagles' O-line manhandled the Falcons than a 32-yard screen to Ajayi where left guard Stefen Wisniewski erased two defensive backs in succession.
    “We’re all playing our best football right now,” Wisniewski said. “I got a lot better since last year. [Left tackle Halapoulivaati Vaitai] is playing a lot better. Lane is playing at an elite level. Kelce is playing at an elite level. [Right guard Brandon Brooks] is playing at an elite level.
    "It’s just a great group of guys playing well.”
    It's an athletic group, but at a combined list weight of 1,572 pounds, it can overpower and maul opponents, too. Case in point, with a trip to the conference championship game on the line, the Eagles were able to drain the Falcons and break their spirit.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
      Nick did a remarkable job . I'm trying to remember, but of the 7 incompletions, how many came after the first 3 series ?
      Was interested, so looked this up.

He had four incompletions in the first half, three in the second. Just two were in the first three series. May have seemed like more because we got some penalty calls on a couple others.

First play of the game was that duck into the wind, but we got PI on that.
      First actual incompletion was on the second series, but was followed by another missed pass that got another PI call. Second incompletion was the third series, on one of the goal-to-go plays (we probably all wanted another run on that play). Blount scored on 4th down there.

Third incompletion killed the fourth series -- 3rd and 5 play. That was the miss on the wide-open Burton. (5th series if you count the muffed punt as a "series".)

Fourth incompletion was a throwaway right before the play to Alshon at the sideline which set up the FG before half.

In the second half, had back-to-back incompletions from the 19 yard line, and we then kicked the go-ahead FG. The last incompletion was the first play of the last scoring drive. Two plays later was that 32 yard screen to Ajayi.

So we still got FGs on the drives with incompletions in the second half. But really just two came early -- it just seemed like more because he was definitely off.

Comment

I had the feeling that Doug might open up with a bomb after all of the talk about Foles having to get "comfortable" by throwing short passes and all of the usual bullshit that people come out with. Seriously, what is more comfortable than throwing a bomb?

Is it just me or are 90% of Nick's throws to the right hand side? We've got to change that up if it is.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

regardless, great game by someone who looked like crap the previous 5 quarters
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Riveron has had quite a few stupefying calls this year so I was waiting for the shoe to drop, especially when it took so long to call. Seriously Doug, how can you not call timeout there??? That's just scary. And how can you even think of going for a TD on forth down in that situation. Reich must have been screaming timeout in the headset, at least I hope that he was. Sometimes I think Dougie is like my dog and you have to save him from himself LOL!
            The stupefying calls have always been on the side of calling it "no catch" though. I can't think of one which was a WTF "catch" call.

On the 4th down... I was thinking he would go for it. Remember it was just 4th and 1. The ball was at the 3, but the 1st down marker was at the two yard line. We did not need a TD necessarily. Plus if you miss, they are at the 3 yard line, rather than starting from the 25, albeit while just needing a FG. They may not have gone for it on 4th and 6 if they just needed a FG, thinking they could get the ball back. And if we get a TD there, the game is over. In the end we had to suffer four plays with goal to go -- that could have easily gone the other way. Just as much as the coin flip of going on 4th and 1. Honestly, I was fine either way Doug went on that one. Either decision was understandable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
              regardless, great game by someone who looked like crap the previous 5 quarters
              He really got into a good rhythm in the second half, especially on those slants to Jeffreys. You could tell in the interviews that he was losing confidence with himself after the crap 2 games that he had. He did say that he was going to let it rip instead of overthinking and I guess that he did. He didn't change one RPO at the line so maybe that's what he meant. I have to admit that "let it rip" got me a little worried but all was well. Great game Nick!!

Comment

hi guys been away for a while!

I thought dougs game plan was excellent against atl. looked like vintage nfc east ball to me

Comment

Is it just me or are 90% of Nick's throws to the right hand side? We've got to change that up if it is.
                  It's you. They were pretty evenly distributed, though a few more to the left.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/...ivisional/pass

For throws outside the hashes, 15 to the left and 12 to the right in this game.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                    It's you. They were pretty evenly distributed, though a few more to the left.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/...ivisional/pass

For throws outside the hashes, 15 to the left and 12 to the right in this game.
                    Thanks FO! Looks like I was all wet on that one and I'm glad that I'm wrong.

Comment

Most of all the points have been made-- few things at least I noticed---

Why was Jones not covered by 2 people on both the 4th and 6 and the last pass play???? We were just god awful lucky that he slipped on that last one.

Also I thought our Redzone play calling was not good.

Also you fooled them once on that Aggy inside hand-off... but you can't do that twice without showing them something different from the same formation... as soon as I saw Aggy lined up there -- I even knew what the play call was.

Also there has to be a time in the game when you have to call a play to have all the motion go one way and Nick keep it the other way--- yes I know he isn't fast or quick but that also means nobody thinks about he having any designed plays.

That 4 and 6th play just about ripped my heart out..... THAT should never happen.

D was a A, O was a B (redzone was not good) Special teams was C-.

Comment

Kudos to the Oline. 1 sack and 4 QB hits, fantastic stats for any game, but this was a big game. I realize Foes was throwing quickly, but he also stood in the pocket with little pressure

Comment

Think of it this way MM. Here's how I would make the decision. You know the game is going down to the wire. What would you rather defend, the whole field and you have to stop a team at your 40 yard line to prevent a field goal or defend the endzone when you can pack in your defense and not worry about getting beat deep? I'd take the latter anytime.
                          My thinking was if we don’t make it, we pin them there. How our D was playing, not a bad situation to be in. I was happy with the 3. I also get the thinking about going for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
                            My thinking was if we don’t make it, we pin them there. How our D was playing, not a bad situation to be in. I was happy with the 3. I also get the thinking about going for it.
                            You saw how tough it was to guard them on the 4th and 6 in the open field Ross. That's why I think that you choose to defend your own goal line. Of course if you do score the TD you win the game too. I don't think the odds of scoring from the 3 are very good though.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                              Most of all the points have been made-- few things at least I noticed---

Why was Jones not covered by 2 people on both the 4th and 6 and the last pass play???? We were just god awful lucky that he slipped on that last one.

Also I thought our Redzone play calling was not good.

Also you fooled them once on that Aggy inside hand-off... but you can't do that twice without showing them something different from the same formation... as soon as I saw Aggy lined up there -- I even knew what the play call was.

Also there has to be a time in the game when you have to call a play to have all the motion go one way and Nick keep it the other way--- yes I know he isn't fast or quick but that also means nobody thinks about he having any designed plays.

That 4 and 6th play just about ripped my heart out..... THAT should never happen.

D was a A, O was a B (redzone was not good) Special teams was C-.
                              Good stuff as usual MD. I especially fell the 4th and 6 one. Not only did we not have a double team on Jones on that, we had Malcolm Jenkins A SAFETY covering him. That is like taking candy from a baby. I wasn't too thrilled with Schwartz yesterday during the game. Looking back he was pretty darn good.

The one thing that bothered me in the red zone was roll out to the right. That limits the field and with Foles with no threat to run it easier to defend. But I am not going to get on Doug, he called a helluva game yesterday.
                              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                                Good stuff as usual MD. I especially fell the 4th and 6 one. Not only did we not have a double team on Jones on that, we had Malcolm Jenkins A SAFETY covering him. That is like taking candy from a baby. I wasn't too thrilled with Schwartz yesterday during the game. Looking back he was pretty darn good.

Thought we had double coverage there -- one player high and one player low. Problem was they were both safeties. Ryan fit the ball over Jenkins but before Graham (I think) could get there.

Comment

Working...
                                X