No announcement yet.

Are we rebuilding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're not rebuilding when we have a 10th (or so) year QB.

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
      Are you really saying the Eagles would deliberately sabotage a season so they can media spin letting McNabb go?

That might be one of the most cynical things I ever read here...plus they already signed Andrews as our new RT. The organization has no obligation to "bring in guys" for McNabb. Their obligation is to field the best team possible every year.

How did the Eagles "cut" Dawk loose? He was a FA that decided it was in his best interest to take an offer from another team. The wrath of the fans is understandable since Dawk played so well here for so long and became the face of the franchise, but again if people really use their brains they will also understand Dawk made this choice too and was not forced out by any stretch.
      I never said anything about deliberately sabotaging a season... I just think they want McNabb to move on. It's never been said, but it's what I believe. I honestly don't think they put the best team they can on the field every year. We constantly have junk out there. We've been so close so many times it's hard for me to believe that this team has tried to do everything possible to win a SB.

And I understand your point about Dawk, but I just disagree... I know it's a business, but in this case I can't see how Demps is better than Dawk right now. I don't think we are putting the best team on the field period.

Comment

Ike - I agree. I think both McNabb and the Eagles are ready to part ways. McNabb especially. Everything he's done since the season ended is to try to save face and not anger the fans as he makes his way out of town. He knows that the Eagles don't get strong armed into anything. And he's doing a lot of strongarming. He's ready to go.

What's funny is that some people think an offer is an offer. It's not. You sometimes give an offer that the other part CAN refuse and SHOULD refuse. You do this before you have no interest in retaining the person. So while the Eagles might have given Dawkins such an offer, I believe McNabb is set to give the Eagles that same type of offer. McNabb knows there are teams out there that wants him and will pay him. So if he goes to the Eagles and says "I want 5 years 100M and I want some upgrades at TE and WR!" he knows they won't bite. So he gets to say "hey, I tried." Similar to how the Eagles said "hey we tried!" with Dawk.

Here's my question though: given the PR nightmare from the Dawkins fiasco,(Basically only like 5 out of 100 Eagles fans are cool enough to think it's not a soulless move.), does this make it harder for the Eagles to let McNabb walk?

Comment

Perhaps a retooling, but not a rebuilding IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
            Ike - I agree. I think both McNabb and the Eagles are ready to part ways. McNabb especially. Everything he's done since the season ended is to try to save face and not anger the fans as he makes his way out of town. He knows that the Eagles don't get strong armed into anything. And he's doing a lot of strongarming. He's ready to go.

What's funny is that some people think an offer is an offer. It's not. You sometimes give an offer that the other part CAN refuse and SHOULD refuse. You do this before you have no interest in retaining the person. So while the Eagles might have given Dawkins such an offer, I believe McNabb is set to give the Eagles that same type of offer. McNabb knows there are teams out there that wants him and will pay him. So if he goes to the Eagles and says "I want 5 years 100M and I want some upgrades at TE and WR!" he knows they won't bite. So he gets to say "hey, I tried." Similar to how the Eagles said "hey we tried!" with Dawk.

Here's my question though: given the PR nightmare from the Dawkins fiasco,(Basically only like 5 out of 100 Eagles fans are cool enough to think it's not a soulless move.), does this make it harder for the Eagles to let McNabb walk?

Very well said if you ask me. As for the PR nightmare with McNabb? I really don't think the Eagles FO cares! If he goes he goes... if they can let Dawk walk they can let anybody walk.

Comment

"The Birds are amassing more money than they can spend"

Still not sure where all this talk comes from that they have so much money. They have cap space. That is the same as having a high credit limit on your credit card. Doesn't mean you have money to pay that credit card, Just means you have space on it.
              Maybe Lurie is flush with cash and maybe he isn't. But many refer to cap space like it is money in hand.
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
                "The Birds are amassing more money than they can spend"

Still not sure where all this talk comes from that they have so much money. They have cap space. That is the same as having a high credit limit on your credit card. Doesn't mean you have money to pay that credit card, Just means you have space on it.
                Maybe Lurie is flush with cash and maybe he isn't. But many refer to cap space like it is money in hand.
                The weasel was referring to cap space AND money. They really are flush with money. No one is saying that have to spend all of it. But when you tell the fans that there aren't enough free agents for you to spend your money on and then you let Brian Dawkins walk, you better do some PR control.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                  The weasel was referring to cap space AND money. They really are flush with money. No one is saying that have to spend all of it. But when you tell the fans that there aren't enough free agents for you to spend your money on and then you let Brian Dawkins walk, you better do some PR control.

They let Dawkins walk because to keep him would lower the performance of the team. They already had to work way to hard to hide him last year. Great player, great person but his game and his time is past. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
                    They let Dawkins walk because to keep him would lower the performance of the team. They already had to work way to hard to hide him last year. Great player, great person but his game and his time is past. Deal with it.
                    Plenty of people disagree with you. People who are being objective as well.

In any case, we still have plenty of money, and that's what the point of my response was.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAM View Post
                      There are like 5 guys from the Superbowl team left.
                      Pretty impressive that we almost made it back there a month ago!

Most of the roster had already been replaced since that time which is unbelievable knowing that this team has been to the playoffs 7 out of the past 9 seasons.

I wouldn't say that we are rebuilding. This is a team that has always had an eye on younger talent and truly understands when to jettison their veterans. While I'm not happy Dawk isn't going to be here next year, I don't think we'll miss him as much as many vocal critics think we will.
                      Last edited by PhillyJack; 03-01-2009, 06:58 PM.

Comment

"Plenty of people disagree with you."

Maybe some do, but they aren't the Eagles organization and professionals in the field.

Comment

I guess I haven't seen the articles that show they are flush with money. As I said maybe they are but I think there may be others that have more cash to throw around.

As for Dawk. I don't think money was a factor in deciding to let him go. As many on here have said a number of times---they could find 9 mil if they wanted to. I think too many are overlooking other possibilities.
                          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

The jury is going to be out on this issue, maybe until the '09 season's end. I'll say this much....we have a home game against Denver this year. Can you imagine the ovation that BDawk will get?
                            "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                            — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                            - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Thought this was a pretty nice rational argument for how losing Dawkins hurts the Eagles on the field.

-----

Posted by Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc.
                              Saturday, the Denver Broncos signed Philadelphia Eagles legend Brian Dawkins to a five-year contract. He was a fixture in Philadelphia and was a huge reason the Eagles reached five NFC Championship Games. While it seemed Father Time had caught him early in the 2008 season, Dawkins ended the campaign strong. He should be an immediate contributor in Denver.
                              Fellow safety Sean Considine also is leaving Philadelphia, as he just signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars. With the aggressiveness of Jim Johnson's unit, Philadelphia must find someone to be the last layer of defense who is trustworthy and can get the other defensive backs properly aligned. Johnson's defense is both attacking and complex and it is essential to have intelligent safety play.
                              Not only was Dawkins the quarterback of the secondary for many years, but he also is a terrific leader who prepares very well. His professionalism rubbed off on his teammates over his 13 seasons. That will be missed and will not be immediately replaceable.
                              As a player, Dawkins doesn't have the range and overall explosiveness that he had earlier in his career. He still is an intimidator on the back end and is versatile. Dawkins' ability to do just about anything asked of the safety position has given Johnson an awful lot of leeway with his aggressive play calling over the years. Much like Dawkins' intangibles, those qualities also will be very difficult to replace, especially from a safety-starved upcoming draft class.

Comment

Working...
                              X