Don't lose any sleep over the salary cap- defisit spend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't lose any sleep over the salary cap- defisit spend

I lifted this off of another board. Just kick the can down the road and let the grandkids pay for it. If revenues go up you may never have to worry about it.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 17 2018, 07:18 PM) *
    Basically it involves a contract restructuring.

You take a guy with a high salary that you trust with more guaranteed money, add a year to his deal, convert his current year salary to signing bonus and add a year to the end of his contract.

I know Curry has played decently to very good, but he has played a ton of snaps on a very competitive DL, so he must be doing something right. If we added a year to his deal, it would be when he is 33.

He has a 9M salary this year, with 11M cap hit. By converting 8 m of this to SB plus add another 2 m SB and add a 2021 year with a 10m salary, with the lower cap hit this year due to converting salary to SB, his cap hit this year is reduced by 5.5M. If you have to cut him in the last year, you only have 2.75M of dead money against a 10M salary, so a nice 7.25M of savings if we part ways. So, if we do this with Curry, we free up 5.5M this year.

I know B. Brooks had some anxiety issues in the past, but he has played at a Pro Bowl level. He has an 8.75M salary this year. Leave 1M at salary, convert the other 7.75M as SB with a million kicker, add a year in 2021,when he is 32. Doing this lowers his 2018 cap by 5.7M from 11.1M to 5.4M. If we part ways in his final year, we save 6M of cap, an 8M salary less 2M of dead money.

Out of the two, I think I would think Brooks is the better investment. A year younger, S better player, and less depth on the OL behind him.

Now what about Graham?

He is in the last year of his deal, is a very good player, borderline Pro Bowl caliber. Furthermore, even though he is one of our best DL, he has watched Cox, Curry and Jernigan get paid. And, oh yeah, there's that SB play.

I would do a deal similar to what Bennett got. Bennett was a true FA, but he was a year older.

Graham is scheduled to make 7M this year, add in the proration of the previous SB, and his cap hit is 8M this year. I covert 6M of his salary to SB, and add another 10M SB and extend his deal another two years through 2020 when he'll be 32. His cap hit for this year goes down by 1.3M, and if we have to cut him in 2020, we save 11M of salary, but have 5.3 of dead money, for a net cap savings of 5.7M in the last year if we split ways.

Basically, where there's a will, there is a way. Pick either Brooks or Curry or both to restructure, and resign Graham and we have 7M- 12.5M more cap room this year. More importantly, we keep three very good players which increases our odds of going back to the dance.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Stopped worrying about the "CAP" after seeing how the other teams sorta ignored it or worked around it--- years ago--------- so they can kick the can all they want!

Comment

I also don't worry about the cap. The cap is something that has to be taken into consideration because you can't wake up and find that you put too many eggs in one basket. The cap is merely a management exercise.
      Guaranteed money and real money on the other hand has to be considered. How much is Jeff willing to spend? This year vs next year vs the following. Is he willing to say goodbye to good players and bring in cheaper, but also good, players? As fans we just have to sit and see what ownership is willing to do and from every indication Jeff is willing to spend money to win championships.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Excellent analysis of cap management and restructuring as needed.

I also stopped worrying when I'd see the Cowboys or Redskins way over their limit yet they would still end up being able to sign whomever they wanted. The cap number seems as if it is always moving.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
          Stopped worrying about the "CAP" after seeing how the other teams sorta ignored it or worked around it--- years ago--------- so they can kick the can all they want!
          LOL. I remember saying it was a myth from the beginning when DeBartolo (or the mob) was buying Championships for Frisco and owners supposedly couldn't figure out how they did it (yeah right). I guess that Luri finally figured out a few years ago that making $2 billion on an investment was enough to open the floodgates too and fortunately Howie loves to spend it. Too bad it took them so long and wasted the McNabb years.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
            Nailed it. For years the Skins seemed to be in horrible cap space every year. Then, they somehow worked things out and added FA's. It was their choice of FA's that killed them though.

"I also stopped worrying when I'd see the Cowboys or Redskins way over their limit yet they would still end up being able to sign whomever they wanted. The cap number seems as if it is always moving."

Just saw this. Yeah, the Cowboys did the same thing.

Comment

I would think the Eagles revenue stream would take a pretty big bump this upcoming year? I know it doesn't help the cap but it does help pay for converting salary into additional signing bonus I would guess

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
                I would think the Eagles revenue stream would take a pretty big bump this upcoming year? I know it doesn't help the cap but it does help pay for converting salary into additional signing bonus I would guess
                There might be a couple of beach houses that don't show up in contracts too.

Comment

Working...
                X