X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your feelings on McNabb.......NOW?

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
    Originally posted by fly
    Can someone tell me why McNabb, while scrambling out of the pocket, runs out of bounds or allows himself to be tackled instead of throwing it away? I mean, 1st and 10 around our 30 turns into 2 and 17 and pretty much kills the drive. I know it's only 1 play, but it's just an awful decision from a 9th year veteran QB. That, and why the hell did we not kill the clock after the 1st completion on the last drive?

The D played well enough for the win...despite a couple blown plays. You hold "an 8-4 team" to 16 points and IMO, the offense should pick that game up at home. Westy got 20 carries so I won't complain about not running more...but offensive executive continues to be offensive.
    This has been explained 4 billion times; it just seems people either refuse to understand it or only remember the times it does not work out...

McNabb wants to MAKE PLAYS and he is looking everywhere until the last possible second trying to make one that will help his team win...he is buying time hoping someone comes free. It is difficult for a D to cover guys for that long and not allow someone to get open...unfortunately, on most of those plays today no one did, he had to get what he could get on his own, run out of bounds or eat it...credit goes to the Giants D who played well and criticism goes to our offense who executed poorly.

If he throws it away at the first possible chance, the play is over and they got nothing...if he extends it and they make a play the team benefits. IMO it is worth the possible sack or run out of bounds since he has made so many positive plays in those situations.
    Uh yeah, I realize he's looking to make a play. I'm not arguing he throw it away at the first possible chance, but when you hit the sidelines and have the option of running OOB, running into a pile of players, or throwing it away ... the choice should be pretty obvious.

So I assume you were ok with those 2 "sacks" instead of him throwing it away?

Comment

For the first time in my life as an Eagles fan, I turned off the game with 7 minutes remaining and the game still very winnable. Why ? Because I have absolutely no confidence in Donovan right now. I could not take it after seeing this same offense move the ball up and down the field for the last 2 1/2 games.

The receivers were open for the kind of passes that west coast offenses make. These are passes that require quick reads and quick deliveries.

Every game that Donovan starts now the receivers suck. AJ comes in and the receivers play great, but then AJ sucks because he throws picks.

Donovan looked great scrambling around for losses or little gains. But, this was only necessary because he completely missed his early chances.

Donovan needs WR's that can break loose from their routes and make big plays. In reality, they are broken plays. But folks, this team does not have a T.O, Andre Johnson or even a Greg Jennings. What we have are some nice, quick WR's that are pretty well suited for this offense. But, our QB is NOT suited for this offense or these receivers.

You can say what you want about AJ's picks. Yes, they were God awful. But, you cannot deny the fact that this very same offense has been moving the ball up and down the field for most of the time against the Dolphins, Pats and Seahawks.

AJ Feeley is not the answer at QB. But, he and Garcia have clearly shown the way this type of offense should be run. Donovan is the square peg in the round hole.

It is time for a divorce. Either we change our offense to work around Donovan's strengths, which means changing the type of talent at WR. Or, we trade Donovan to a team that he is a better fit for.

Since Andy is not going to change his offense, this leaves us only one choice.

The longer this continues, the more you will see even the biggest McNabb supporters switching sides. I considered myself a pretty big McNabb supporter coming into this year. Now, things are very clear to me.

I really hate disagreeing with some of the guys on this board, because I have a ton of respect for everyone here. But, I absolutely believe that some people are using their heart and not their head when it comes to McNabb. We all want him to succeed because of what he has done for this team and what he has meant to the city.

These next 3 games are going to be just brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
        hey VFK,

this isn't about if mcnabb sucks or not but.. if you say the season is over (which everyone will agree with), why wouldn't you play Kolb?
        Because you already know Kolb is the future, but you also know he is not ready to be the present. You have McNabb and need to gather more evidence if he can be effective next year with this team or if you will have to trade him. McNabb needs to be the bridge to Kolb depending on whatever length of time that bridge extends for...

Feeley can be the babysitter for Kolb if he struggles either next year or 2009, but is not good enough to be the starter. That is either McNabb or Kolb IMO.

BTW, Vin I'll take my crow now for the offense's execution today...I still think McNabb is the best QB option we have, but the offense as a unit is just so inconsistent it is frustrating. I thought the way they came out would set the tone for the game, but then they just went to sleep until the 4th quarter.
        Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by fly
          Originally posted by fly
          Can someone tell me why McNabb, while scrambling out of the pocket, runs out of bounds or allows himself to be tackled instead of throwing it away? I mean, 1st and 10 around our 30 turns into 2 and 17 and pretty much kills the drive. I know it's only 1 play, but it's just an awful decision from a 9th year veteran QB. That, and why the hell did we not kill the clock after the 1st completion on the last drive?

The D played well enough for the win...despite a couple blown plays. You hold "an 8-4 team" to 16 points and IMO, the offense should pick that game up at home. Westy got 20 carries so I won't complain about not running more...but offensive executive continues to be offensive.
          This has been explained 4 billion times; it just seems people either refuse to understand it or only remember the times it does not work out...

McNabb wants to MAKE PLAYS and he is looking everywhere until the last possible second trying to make one that will help his team win...he is buying time hoping someone comes free. It is difficult for a D to cover guys for that long and not allow someone to get open...unfortunately, on most of those plays today no one did, he had to get what he could get on his own, run out of bounds or eat it...credit goes to the Giants D who played well and criticism goes to our offense who executed poorly.

If he throws it away at the first possible chance, the play is over and they got nothing...if he extends it and they make a play the team benefits. IMO it is worth the possible sack or run out of bounds since he has made so many positive plays in those situations.
          Uh yeah, I realize he's looking to make a play. I'm not arguing he throw it away at the first possible chance, but when you hit the sidelines and have the option of running OOB, running into a pile of players, or throwing it away ... the choice should be pretty obvious.

Just curious, but how many times would IP have been sacked today? I saw at least 5 times where #5 escaped the pocket where as IP would have been buried. That's the good with the bad.

Now I do agree that on at least 2 occasions he should have thrown the ball away, rather than take a loss, poor decisions on his part, but I also saw the replays where no F'ing WR even seemed to break a sweat to come back and try to help him.

Comment

Originally posted by fly
            Originally posted by fly

Because he is working hard and trying all he can to make plays, yes...if he threw it away, someone would point out how open a WR or RB was and rip him for that...
            Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN

Just curious, but how many times would IP have been sacked today? I saw at least 5 times where #5 escaped the pocket where as IP would have been buried. That's the good with the bad.

Now I do agree that on at least 2 occasions he should have thrown the ball away, rather than take a loss, poor decisions on his part, but I also saw the replays where no F'ing WR even seemed to break a sweat to come back and try to help him.
              Or Perhaps Feeley wouldve gotten rid of the ball already.

Comment

Excellent post, Plint. I think we are thinking pretty much the same way.

But that's not how I WANT to feel, dammit.
                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

+1!!!!!!
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

MD, I completely understand what you are saying with AJ not being mobile enough to escape. I think a lot of people (myself included) were trying to point out over the past 2 weeks that Feeley makes quick decisions, gets rid of the ball quickly, and avoids sacks. He did so several times against the Pats as were mentioned weeks ago (the GLew 30 yard pass and Reggie Brown TD). And unfortunately, makes a ton of bad decisions too.

I do agree that it's a bit of pick your poison - McNabb can escape the pocket and make a big play or hold on to the ball too long and lose yardage .... while with AJ we actually don't give up sacks, but that turns into nice plays where we exploit the rush or turn the ball over.

Right now, I don't know which is better, but clearly neither work right now.

The OL made HUGE holes for #36 today, who took advantage of them. So I'm not going to rag too much on the line.

Comment

McNabb validated my feelings (and, apparently, the majority of fans) today. He had a chance to show the world that he can still do IT and came up short.

Too many McNabb apologists on here. Seriously, are any of you related to him or getting paid by him? I watched the game with 7 people, and we were unanimous in seeing McNabb being the lead culprit in this loss. If we had a half-way decent QB we would have won. A couple of Giants fans agreed that they hope that McNabb stays with the Eagles.

DM stunk. If you don't agree with that, then you have to agree that he did nothing to help the Eagles win. That is what your QB and highest paid player is supposed to do.

DM is finished. Even if he has a good game left in him, who cares? The Eagles are not going to the SB with him. I would rather see Kolb go through his growing pains than to watch DM lead the team to 13 points.

Comment

Not on the plays that I saw #5 escape from!

Comment

MD. I have to totally disagree. IP was facing the same pressure and was getting the ball out quickly and completing passes in most of those same situations. Donovan hesitated and missed his changes. Then, he was scrambling for his life.

The Giants defense looked no different to me than the others we have seen recently.

Donovan looked like he was playing not to lose the game, instead of staying agressive.

Agressive QB's win ballgames, even with the occassional mistakes. On a few plays last week and before, AJ completed passes when a blitzer came through completely unblocked.

Comment

Because he is working hard and trying all he can to make plays, yes...if he threw it away, someone would point out how open a WR or RB was and rip him for that...
                            Fair enough, but I disagree. You can look to make plays, but when nothing is there, throw the ball away as you run out of bounds.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH

+1!!!!!!
                              Save that crap for the other board.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                                Excellent post, Plint. I think we are thinking pretty much the same way.

But that's not how I WANT to feel, dammit.
                                Nor me Fresh. I want Donovan to succeed with this offense and these players. But, it is just not going to happen I am afraid.

Comment

Working...
                                X