Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Football geeks!! - (Halladay update)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well - I'll bite that they moved Lee too quickly but one of the biggest factors overlooked here is the absolute steal they got in terms of an extension for Halladay. They got the guy wrapped up for the next 4 seasons for under $100MM. We are talking about the best pitcher in baseball. Once you know you can do this, you almost have to give Toronto whatever they want. It's that simple. We have the best pitcher in baseball for the next 4 (or 5 seasons) at a below market rate.

Comment

Shock Waves: Cliff Lee Stunned by Trade From Phils

Cliff Lee hoped to remain with the Phillies before being shipped to the Mariners. (AP)

Embed code
      Highlights from Roy Halladay's press conference - 12/16 Ryan

Thursday, December 17, 2009

By Jim Salisbury
      CSNPhilly.com

In his first public comments since being traded from the Phillies to the Seattle Mariners on Wednesday, Cliff Lee said he felt “shock” and “disbelief” upon learning of the deal.

Lee said that his representative, Darek Braunecker, was trying to work out a contract extension with the Phillies when the club dealt him to Seattle.

In fact, Lee said his side presented the Phils with a contract proposal on the day the trade went down.

It was too late. By that time the Phils had a trade in place to acquire Roy Halladay from Toronto. Halladay agreed to a three-year contract extension worth $60 million and Lee was sent to Seattle for three prospects.

Phils general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. has said that he dealt Lee because he wanted to replenish the team’s farm system, which had taken a major hit in acquiring Lee from Cleveland in July and then Halladay this week.

“At first, I didn’t believe it because I thought we were working out a [contract] extension with the Phillies and I thought I was going to spend the rest of my career there,” Lee said in his introductory conference call with Seattle media Thursday. “It just shows that it's a business and it shows what can happen until you have a full no-trade clause.”

According to Lee, the Phillies made him an offer during the winter meetings last week.

“We were in the process of trying to make it happen,” he said.

Lee, 31, added that “there was not enough dialogue” to make a deal happen. Though disappointed by the trade, he said he was not bitter toward the Phillies.

“They had a chance to get the best pitcher in baseball, too, and I can't blame them for taking Roy Halladay over me,” he said. “I was a little disappointed because of what I had going on over there with the Phillies.”

As the dust has settled on a busy week of Phillies transactions, it has become clearer why the Phils chose to trade Lee and do business with Halladay.

The Phils are reluctant to give deals of more than three years to pitchers. Halladay, whom the Phils had long coveted, was willing to take a three-year deal, with a vesting option for a fourth year based on innings pitched.

There are indications that Lee, who will be eligible for free agency after the 2010 season, was seeking a longer term deal.

“Our talks with [Lee’s representatives] were amicable,” Amaro said Wednesday. “At the end of the day, I had a little discomfort doing the type of deal I’d feel comfortable with.”

Lee was a Phillie for three months, including the postseason. He went 7-4 with a 3.39 ERA in 12 regular-season starts and was brilliant in the postseason, going 4-0 with a 1.56 ERA in five starts.

“We have nothing but respect and appreciation for what Cliff did here,” Amaro said.

Lee called his time in Philadelphia and the run to the World Series “an unbelievable experience.”

Now he moves on to Seattle.

“I’ve got to go to the Mariners and try to help those guys win,” he said. “I've got to try to be positive about it. It's a new chapter and I've got to try to go over there and make the best of it.”

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4753045

This makes the whole thing seem a little weirder to me... here's part of the article.

""Speaking by cell phone Thursday night while beginning a long-planned vacation in Puerto Rico, the 2008 AL Cy Young winner said he was in "disbelief and shock." The 31-year-old left-hander had been excited to rejoin the Phillies for a run at another World Series.

Instead, he's headed to his third team in five months.

"At first, I didn't believe it. I thought we were working out an extension with the Phillies," Lee said. "I thought I'd be spending the rest of my career there. ... I was under the impression they wanted to keep me there for a long time.
        "In my mind, it was going to happen."

Lee was the reigning AL Cy Young Award winner when the Phillies got him from Cleveland on July 29. He went 7-4 with a 3.39 ERA down the stretch, then starred in the postseason by going 4-0 with a 1.56 ERA in five starts.
        Lee earned both of the Phillies' wins in the World Series against the New York Yankees. He was wowed by what he called an "unbelievable" lineup and excellence from top to bottom in Philadelphia's organization.""

So where did the line that the Phils gave us that Lee absolutely wanted to test free agency come from? Was it the agent messing things up for his client? Or did Ruben have such a man crush on Halladay that he had to trade for him when the opportunity came back to him?

If it's the latter, then I can see why (though I don't agree) that he felt he needed to get some propects back. But if money was not an issue, as he said, why not trade Cole?

I'm excited to have Halladay, but I think that I would have preferred Lee and Drabek to go with Hamels and Happ.

Halladay
        Hamels
        Blanton
        Happ
        Moyer

Lee
        Hamels
        Blanton
        Happ
        Moyer/Drabek

Halladay
        Lee
        Hamels
        Blanton
        Happ

Wow, that would have been nice. Who cares about three A and AA players that may or may not make it to the bigs in 2,3,4 years.

Guess we won't know for 2-4 years.
        www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

I was just going to post similiar comments - Lee was on Baseball Tonight with Karl Ravech on ESPN.

Lee said he was out hunting when his wife called him about the rumors, he said he called the phillies and they told him wasn't true/not to worry. Then the next day Ruben called him and said it was a done deal.

>>If that is how it went down, that is pretty low>>

He said he wanted Halladay to come to Philly, he was looking forward to having him in the rotation

Karl asked him about the idea the Phillies couldn't sign him longterm - Lee basically said that wasn't true, he was looking forward to spending the rest of his career in Philly.

Very similiar to the articles posted - I do remember reading a quote either by Lee or his agent on the day he was traded to the phils, how they are going to test free agency. Who knows where the CC money comment came from. I would have liked to have been in those winter meetings if something was said or if Ruben just had a "feel" and wanted to get Halladay.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
            well - I'll bite that they moved Lee too quickly but one of the biggest factors overlooked here is the absolute steal they got in terms of an extension for Halladay. They got the guy wrapped up for the next 4 seasons for under $100MM. We are talking about the best pitcher in baseball. Once you know you can do this, you almost have to give Toronto whatever they want. It's that simple. We have the best pitcher in baseball for the next 4 (or 5 seasons) at a below market rate.

Absolutely. Getting cost certainty for your No. 1 starter going forward for the next four years is fantastic. I agree that the price for Halladay goes up when you get that window to negotiate. In that respect, Drabek and Taylor and d'Arnaud is a respectable price to pay.

But that $6 million sticks in my craw. Take the $6 million out and you probably don't have to surrender one of Drabek or Taylor. I feel like they essentially sold at least one of their Big 3 prospects for $6 million.
            Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Judging by what I'm reading, and most of the chatter on WIP, the Halladay deal for propects is not what bothers people most.

It's trading Lee for questionable prospects, that appears to be a salary dump, that is eating at most folks.

We could have had Lee and Halladay, even if for only one year, and then two high draft picks when/if Lee left.

I know that's what's bothering me most now.
              www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

I hear ya toga. The prospect of having Lee with Halladay sounds awesome but Amaro thought the cupboard was too bare. I think we could have received more but remember there are people in our front office who are very familiar with these prospects we received. I'll just have to trust them.

LT - selling a top prospect for $6MM is wise investment considering the chances said prospect will perform.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
                  LT - selling a top prospect for $6MM is wise investment considering the chances said prospect will perform.

I suppose. However it makes it harder for me to accept that they had to move Lee to restock the prospect cupboard.
                  Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
                    I suppose. However it makes it harder for me to accept that they had to move Lee to restock the prospect cupboard.

I can totally understand your vantage point. We'll see where we are 8 or so months from now. Should be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                    X