No announcement yet.

Holy Crap!!! Babs has lost her mind!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Crap!!! Babs has lost her mind!!!

Talk about greed taking over common sense, is there really any reason to charge $750 for a ticket to your concert? I have always hated Barbara Streisand because of her Diva attitude and the fact that I don't like her voice at all. But this greed with a bullshit "charity" spin is an all time low IMO. If I want to donate to a charity I'll do it on my own. I don't need you to charge me more so you can pick where the money goes and take the tax deduction for yourself. Hey Barbara, if you care so deeply about these causes how about digging into your own pockets and funding the donation instead of jacking up ticket prices and making your fans fund your cause. This is nothing more than unadulterated greed with a PC spin.

Posted on Sun, Jun. 18,

Streisand tickets to set a record
    By Daniel Rubin

Inquirer Staff Writer

If you want to see Barbra Streisand up close, it's going to cost you more than any show that's ever come to Philadelphia.

The best seats for her Oct. 4 performance at the Wachovia Center are going for a record $750 - and that's face value.

Want something a little more special? How about a VIP ticket for $2,500? The promoter has packaged a catered dinner, an exclusive tour gift, tour program, collectible laminate, and convenient access to a private merchandise booth for that fee.

And if you're feeling even more flush, there's a $5,000 option, including a five-star hotel and 24-hour concierge service.

We're not even talking yet about brokers for the concert, which includes opening act Il Divo. Stubhub.com has four seats, fifth row, dead center. Each costs $4,858. And that's now. Wait a month or two.

Like buttah. Made from sacred cows.

A Streisand doesn't come around every day - it's been 40 years since the star, then 24, sang in town.

Tickets go on sale to the public Monday for her first national tour in a dozen years - one that starts in Philadelphia. The two-time Oscar-winning performer gave shows in New York and Los Angeles in 2001, but hasn't been on the road since 1994's Barbra Streisand: The Concert Tour.

The average seat for that tour cost about $150. That price has doubled in 12 years - on par with ticket rises industrywide, says Gary Bongiovanni, editor of Pollstar magazine, a trade publication.

The previous record for a concert ticket in Philadelphia was $450, charged by the Rolling Stones last year, according to John Page, general manager of the Wachovia Center.

Tickets for Streisand in Philadelphia already have been made available to American Express cardholders and those who belong to the Wachovia Center's Cyberclub, which is how Shelly Gowen, 56, of Ardmore, scored a pair for $1,500.

"She's the only one I'd do it for," said Gowen, a management consultant who caught Streisand in Washington and New York a dozen years ago. "It didn't matter to me how much it cost. She is just such an incredible performer. To see her live is the best."

Even at these prices, the promoters are considering adding a second Philadelphia show.

"When you couple her musical career with her acting career, she is an artist a lot of people will come to see," Page said. "Talk about spanning generations. You are going to see parents, kids and even grandkids all here at the show. Not that many artists can say they've stood the test of time."

At Streisand's last Philadelphia concert, Aug. 3, 1966, she performed outdoors in front of a 34-piece orchestra at JFK Stadium, where the Wachovia Center sits now. The 18,144 paying fans endured a persistent echo all night, according to accounts in the next day's newspapers.

"Football stadium," she harrumphed when audience members responded from their seats that they couldn't hear her clearly. The Philadelphia Daily News critic wrote: "Acoustically the stadium is not the Academy of Music. The singer couldn't have picked more echoes if she gave the concert in the Alps."

Based on receipts of $108,653, the average seat cost under $6.

This time around, tickets go for $100, $200, $350 and $750. Bongiovanni calls the $300 average price tops in the business: "Even the Three Tenors' prices don't get up that high." He said tour promoter Michael Cohl, who has handled Rolling Stones performances since 1989, had pioneered event packages.

"I'm not sure who these people are who are buying them. Who would spend $3,600 for a couple hours of entertainment? That starts to narrow the market a little bit. If you're pulling that out of your own wallet, that's a tough one."

It was not clear to organizers Friday how many seats would sell for $750, or how many people the hall would be configured to accommodate.

Where's all this money going? Most to Streisand, but she's not keeping it all. She says she will donate proceeds to organizations concerned with education, the environment and women's health.

"The increasingly urgent need for private citizen support to combat dangerous climate change, along with education and health issues, was the prime reason I decided to tour again," she said in a news release. "This will allow me to direct funds and awareness to causes that I care deeply about."

Link to the Story
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Working...
    X