Tariffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tariffs

What's the uproar about charging countries the same amount as they charge us for doing business? I don't get it.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Got no problem with it.

You will hear all kinds of nonsense about trade wars and the like... Bull. We import way way way more than we export. Thus the trade deficit.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
      Got no problem with it.

You will hear all kinds of nonsense about trade wars and the like... Bull. We import way way way more than we export. Thus the trade deficit.
      Republicans couldn't care less if it created more American jobs. They like company profits with cheap foreign labor just the way it is.

Comment

This is a giant subject that is tough to break down into a few written lines. But I will say this is mainly an effort to make people feel good. Reality is it isn't going to help our country. It is a guy picking a small area trying to look like a tough guy.
        Trade agreements drive trade and keep the lid on trade wars. They prevent unilaterally imposed tariffs. Whether our trade agreements are good or not is debatable. But I think addressing that is preferable to unilateral tariffs.
        The steel industry, as most do, brought a whole lot of their issues on themselves. One way the country could help the steel industry is to make law that any US funded investment must use US steel. Ships, airplanes, bridges, buildings, Mexican walls, etc have to be built with US steel. Does the steel industry have that capability? Not sure but if they don't then that is their problem. I remember when the auto industry was taking an ass whipping. Every government agency began driving Dodge/Chrysler. Iacocca (sp?) was in charge I believe and the government bought nothing but Dodge/Chrysler in order to bail them out.
        Anyway, not enough time to address all of trade.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

There's no question that opening up competition has greatly benefited the consumer. The improvements in products have been terrific since this happened. The crap that used to come out of Detroit was ridiculous. That being said the agreements should be fair and need to be adjusted and that is what's going to happen. Everybody is blowing this thing all out of proportion IMO.

The other problem that is emerging is that China is threatening to stop buying our bonds if we squeeze them too much. The Japanese did this to us once and bonds went up 2% in one session because nobody else was bidding on them. To tell you the truth our trade agreements with them are much worse than the ones that we have with China.

Comment

Gotta find a way to get them to the table to negotiate .... Right now they have no reason to.

And I agree with nodak..... We should begin to use just USA made products... Even if the cost is a bit more.

Comment

Gotta find a way to get them to the table to negotiate .... Right now they have no reason to.

And I agree with nodak..... We should begin to use just USA made products... Even if the cost is a bit more.
              Sure they do. If they don't they're looking at 25%.

Comment

Unfortunately MD there are lots of different sides to that square. Friggin steel industry would screw the government with high prices if they knew the gov had to use their product. Taxpayers would bitch as to why they have to pay more in taxes to use US steel versus some other steel. I've seen cities not use a low bid contract because the contractor was crap but the people bitched because they had to pay thousands more. Just can't please everyone. But I am on board that the government should use US products and they should have the flexibility to say screw you to any contractor and use the people they think are doing the best job for the money. Just have to watch out for the corruption
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

And let's see what happens with retaliation. The Ag industry, which is a B I G industry in this country and provides lots of money to candidates are preparing to raise holy hell if the retaliation is against ag exports. This country can't eat half of what we produce so we need places like China and India and Africa to eat this food because they have too many people
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                    And let's see what happens with retaliation. The Ag industry, which is a B I G industry in this country and provides lots of money to candidates are preparing to raise holy hell if the retaliation is against ag exports. This country can't eat half of what we produce so we need places like China and India and Africa to eat this food because they have too many people
                    I've heard this argument but I really doubt that people are going to stop eating. They buy our crops because they can't produce them, not because they love America.

Comment

They can easily buy from Argentina, Russia, Canada, or any number of other countries. The #1 thing the US has going for it is quality. When you buy beef or soybeans or peas or whatever the quality will be consistent from the US while other countries have varying quantities. Hell I remember buying a case of beer in Greece and about a third of the bottles were more like ten ounces than twelve ounces.
                      For years we have sent our farm technology in production to places like Russia or Argentina or anywhere and they aren't stupid (even though we like to think they are). They replicate that technology and can produce greater than they could previously. Every state has a stake in ag production so every state has a big ag lobby. The farm bill is one of the hardest to pass in this country. Not saying good, bad, or indifferent. Just saying the ag industry is gearing up incase there is retribution in ag exports.
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

Negotiation.........................

It's what he does!

Comment

They can easily buy from Argentina, Russia, Canada, or any number of other countries. The #1 thing the US has going for it is quality. When you buy beef or soybeans or peas or whatever the quality will be consistent from the US while other countries have varying quantities. Hell I remember buying a case of beer in Greece and about a third of the bottles were more like ten ounces than twelve ounces.
                          For years we have sent our farm technology in production to places like Russia or Argentina or anywhere and they aren't stupid (even though we like to think they are). They replicate that technology and can produce greater than they could previously. Every state has a stake in ag production so every state has a big ag lobby. The farm bill is one of the hardest to pass in this country. Not saying good, bad, or indifferent. Just saying the ag industry is gearing up incase there is retribution in ag exports.
                          There are winners and losers in every deal. In the end I think that this whole thing is overblown. Other countries have been taking advantage of us for years for one reason or another. Tariffs are nothing knew. Hell we fought a civil war over them!!

Comment

Yep, he already negotiated out (without negotiation of course) Canada, Mexico, Australia, Europe, South Korea, et al. Not going to be nearly as tough as his big hit announcement

EDIT: Actually that was kind of a smart ass remark that shouldn't be posted
                            Last edited by NoDakIggle; 03-26-2018, 09:01 PM.
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

Yep, he already negotiated out (without negotiation of course) Canada, Mexico, Australia, Europe, South Korea, et al. Not going to be nearly as tough as his big hit announcement

EDIT: Actually that was kind of a smart ass remark that shouldn't be posted

Nah, anything goes over here as long as you keep somebody's mother out of the conversation.

Comment

Working...
                              X