Observations from Yesterdays game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations from Yesterdays game

I really didn't think this team would be 3-1 at this juncture, three games on the road one against an NFC east opponent, one against one of the best teams in football and one where they had to travel to the West Coast. I thought 2-2 at best beginning of the year. It shows you how this team has grown.

1. Wentz had a terrific game. Don't look at the states, there were very few throws you can point to and say they were bad, he threw the ball away more than we have seen him in the past, he threw a pretty deep ball yesterday, one dropped by Torey Smith, two were right on the money to Ertz and Agholor. He escaped and ran when he needed to.

2. Smallwood is our quickest back and even through Blount is a mack truck and was great yesterday I couldn't help but think if it was smallwood running some of those they would have been scores.

3. The offensive line was excellent yesterday. All six of them (include Warmack) played very well. Didn't hear much from Bosa.

4. I thought the officials were putrid yesterday. Missed many holding calls on our D line. Missed two PI calls against our receivers. Now they did miss a few calls on the other side also. I thought there spotting of the ball on Wentz third down run where he came up short was wrong. The Center on San Deigo consistently was moving the ball and rose up a few times before he snapped the ball, it got us a few times, he did finally get flagged in the 4th quarter. I generally thought the officals kept San Diego in the game.

5. Ertz is blossoming into one of the best Tight Ends in football.

6. Rasul Douglas looked like a rookie yesterday. He did tackle well but opened his hips two quickly on several of the completions against him.

7. Sometimes I like Schwartz defense, sometimes I don't. Yesterday I felt they play not to lose, instead of trying to win. I would have blitzed more and tried to get Rivers off his mark. Especially on some of those 3rd and longs that they converted.

8. I thought Doug called a real nice game yesterday.

9. Glad I didn't cut Elliot last week. Of course having Jason Peters telling you no more misses Bro might scare anyone into having a game like yesterday.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Agree with most. Thought some of the tackling in/by the secondary was poor.

O-Line overall was much much better, the pocket was round and not oval as it has been. Still worry about depth.

Blount is NOT too old. Aggy does look like a new player, Jeffries is what I always thought he was(go gamecocks) and smith to hold a few more.

May have the best TE group in the league.

Doug called a nice game, and the kicker Elliot was in a zone.

Comment

I don't think smallwood breaks some of those tackles or gives that powerful stiff arm that Blount did on the big run.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
        I don't think smallwood breaks some of those tackles or gives that powerful stiff arm that Blount did on the big run.
        No on that one it was all Blount, there were a couple where if Blount was a half a step quicker he would have been by the tackler, instead of a 7 yard gain it could have went for much more. Ticky Tacky on my part but just an observation.

Comment

Agree with everything but the officials. Thought they were good.

Douglas is gonna be good. Willing tackler and really has great route recognition.
          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Jeffrey did a terrific block on the Blount run if you guys get to see it again. I think that they probably would have brought him down much earlier if not for it.
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I didn't care for the use of our safeties up at the line so much. Rivers is better than that and Mills and Douglas cannot be man to man alone.

I also didn't care for all the single back formations when in short yardage in the redzone. They FINALLY had a blocker in the backfield when they scored. after 6 plays and a lucky Def penalty

other than that, everyone played well and it was a great win.

Comment

Beau Allen with 5 pressures and a sack
                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Blitzing is a dangerous game versus an accurate veteran QB, especially if it can be picked up (which they did a couple times at least). Especially with a not-so-great secondary. But yeah, whatever plan they did have was not working the best.

Eagles have had some game-closing clock-snuffing drives in the past, but with a tenuous two-point lead that was particularly clutch.

Was wondering why the goal line plays haven't been working. That was an absolutely humongous penalty to give us three more cracks at it.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                    Blitzing is a dangerous game versus an accurate veteran QB, especially if it can be picked up (which they did a couple times at least). Especially with a not-so-great secondary. But yeah, whatever plan they did have was not working the best.

Eagles have had some game-closing clock-snuffing drives in the past, but with a tenuous two-point lead that was particularly clutch.

Was wondering why the goal line plays haven't been working. That was an absolutely humongous penalty to give us three more cracks at it.
                    Agree, plays close to the line, maybe inside the 10 just don't seem to be working.

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
                      I also didn't care for all the single back formations when in short yardage in the redzone. They FINALLY had a blocker in the backfield when they scored. after 6 plays and a lucky Def penalty.
                      Fran Duffy had a tweet with a video of that TD play -- looks like Wentz was in shotgun and Smallwood was the only back on the play. The OL just cleaved out a hole for him -- JP and Wiz double-teamed one DT and put him on the ground (which Smallwood jumped over), while Kelce and Brooks walled off the guys on the other side, and Smallwood got there before the LBs could fill the hole. Well, JP continued his block and also got the LB most likely to get there. So maybe just really good blocking on that play.

https://twitter.com/fduffy3/status/914968638108655616

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                        Fran Duffy had a tweet with a video of that TD play -- looks like Wentz was in shotgun and Smallwood was the only back on the play. The OL just cleaved out a hole for him -- JP and Wiz double-teamed one DT and put him on the ground (which Smallwood jumped over), while Kelce and Brooks walled off the guys on the other side, and Smallwood got there before the LBs could fill the hole. Well, JP continued his block and also got the LB most likely to get there. So maybe just really good blocking on that play.

https://twitter.com/fduffy3/status/914968638108655616
                        Watch Kelce on that play too. Awesome. I still think the old dive with the FB only 3 yards deep hitting the hole at the same time the line comes off the ball is the way to go. That was a huge hole for Smallwood.

It also would be interesting to see the snap count between Wiz and Womack as they alternated for the game and it seemed that Womack played more than Wiz. The rumor is that Wiz and Kelce don't get along. Not good when they talk to each other on every play.

Comment

Interesting on Wiz and Kelce I haven't heard that. Wiz played more snaps than Warmack, I think it was like 12 more snaps.

I will say this, If Kelce doesn't like Wiz he should get used to him being in there because Wiz is making Kelce better.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                            Interesting on Wiz and Kelce I haven't heard that. Wiz played more snaps than Warmack, I think it was like 12 more snaps.

I will say this, If Kelce doesn't like Wiz he should get used to him being in there because Wiz is making Kelce better.
                            Both he and Womack played good Sunday but I agree that Wiz is the better player. I don't think that they should rotate them but I guess that Reich knows what he's doing seeing as though they both have been extended.

Comment

Working...
                            X