Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just more talking heads-- Kolb going?

Lombardi: Eagles, Browns Deal Could Be Win For Both

Amid all the rumors circulating regarding the Eagles and their quarterbacks, Michael Lombardi in a piece for NationalFootballPost.com believes the Eagles and Browns could swing a deal that would be a "win for both teams" and help the Eagles close the gap in the division and the conference.
    Noting Browns president Mike Holmgren's desire to have a franchise quarterback in place and GM Tom Heckert's familiarity with Kevin Kolb since he was involved in drafting the former University of Houston product, Lombardi says a trade would make sense.
    But at what price? Cleveland's first-round pick, the seventh overall?
    Actually, Lombardi says he could see a deal where the Eagles would send Kolb to Cleveland in exchange for Pro Bowl nose tackle Shaun Rogers, a player Lombardi believes can help Philadelphia close the gap between the Eagles and Cowboys.
    Writes Lombardi: "Rogers would be a gap closer on the field. He would give the Eagles a dominating inside player, something they don't currently have on their roster and someone who can match up with the Cowboys' size along their offensive line. Rogers is signed to a long-term deal, he's kept his weight down and he was a model citizen in Cleveland last season — all of which would be appealing to the Eagles. Kolb gives the Browns a future quarterback, something Holmgren knows he needs, without having to part with a draft pick. This trade might be a win/win for both teams."
    And if the Eagles can then land potential free agent defensive end Julius Peppers, Lombardi says that would move the Eagles ahead of the Cowboys.
    "If the Eagles make these two moves, they'll be a final four team next season, regardless of what they do in the draft," Lombardi writes.
    Of course, the Eagles would then likely use the draft to bring in a young signal caller to replace Kolb.

Such as stupid rumor. Shaun Rogers isn't worth Kolb. Give me a break.

I'd give the Browns Kolb and our 2nd round pick for their first rounder and then select Eric Berry. Done. Sealed. Over.
    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Shaun Rogers?

lol...I usually like Lombardi, but that is really silly to trade Kolb for Rogers and poof! we are a final 4 team
      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Eric Berry for Kolb and 2nd round pick? Where do I sign - it is a fair trade but would really position the Birds perfectly to upgrade the defense big time. With Berry at safety and 3 other picks (#24, #70 and #87), you could get a 1st round and a 3rd round corner back and also a 3rd SLB candidate, and this defense would be looking much better and deeper, especially with Bradley and Gaither back from injury and Witherspoon in the fold for the whole year.

Comment

I may be wrong, but I don't see stopping the inside run as a big problem for our defense. DT is pretty low down my list of needs

but who knows what the FO is thinking

Comment

It's not even a rumor, BP. It's just Lombardi speculating.

It has about as much basis in actual discussion as the stuff we throw around on this board.

After Sean Jones, I don't want to deal with the Browns anymore. (Except to fleece them for draft picks.)
            Last edited by sfphillyfan; 02-11-2010, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Hey, it's as worthy of discussion as any other trade propositions we see floating around. But I agree that tackle is not on the top of my fix-it list. Safety is certainly way up there, as is DE. Regardless ow whoever is our QB next season, we HAVE to improve our pressure packages on defense. Better pass rush, combined with better downfield coverage. Hell, a better safety would also help with the run support. I don't see this proposition as being the answer.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Speculating about the moves teams may be considering is what these uninformed 'experts' do when they take a break from their primary occupation...masturbating.

Comment

Trade away someone with potential to be a stud QB for a DT who kept his weight down and wasn't a problem for 1 whole year.Wow!!If in fact AR is that stupid,I Will walk the 90 miles to Philly to punch him in the head.
                  We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                    Speculating about the moves teams may be considering is what these uninformed 'experts' do when they take a break from their primary occupation...masturbating.
                    Wait, you mean there's a job that pays me to do this? Damn it!! I've been doing it all this time for free!!
                    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

There's no way in hell I trade Kolb for anything less than their first rounder -- which clearly isn't going to happen. Hey I'll give them Vick and our 3rd for Rogers but that's about as much interest as I have in him. They'd be idiots to do that deal but hey, no matter who's calling the shots, we're still talking about Cleveland - so anything is possible!
                      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

This is really just verbal diarhea. Pure speculation.

Hey, let's trade Kolb to the Raiders in exchange for their first round pick... great idea Mike Lombardi.

How about we trade Shawn Andrews for conditional draft picks to the Chiefs.... another great idea.

It ain't happening. Kolb is staying put one more year. Gives the Iggles leverage when it comes tie to make a decision on extending or locking up Donovan for another 3 to 4 years.
                        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

The only thing that lends this any credence is the fact that Lombardi used to work in the Eagles front office. I doubt they would really want Rodgers though. Unless they are planning to switch to the 3-4.

Bradley and Jordan/Witherspoon at ILB. Cole and GoCong/Witherspoon at OLB. Bunkley and Patterson at DE and Rodgers at NT.
                          Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
                            The only thing that lends this any credence is the fact that Lombardi used to work in the Eagles front office. .
                            Yeah but he also was fired. So... like most talking heads, he's just trying to make a name for himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                              Wait, you mean there's a job that pays me to do this? Damn it!! I've been doing it all this time for free!!
                              You can do both at once if you speculate about things like Peppers going to the Eagles.

Comment

Working...
                              X