No announcement yet.

Make that 3 candidates I can't vote for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good overall post, Nodak. Obviously we have some disagreement on the abortion issue, but we certainly would agree on each other's right to voice, and vote, our conscience freely. Hopefully peace wins our, moderation overcomes all, and the fringes on both sides are scorned and eventually forgotten.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Wow, good post by you as well, Stock.

Amazing when you get down to it how many things we actually do agree on.
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I think all of the posts that have appeared here are excellent. It's the extreme right and left wingers that screw things up. If I remember right the two best Presidents of late (Reagan and Clinton) have been the best because there were two outstanding Speakers of The House, Tip O'Neil and Newt Gingrich because they would compromise with their President.

I wonder if any of the Hollywood crowd will move to Canada LOL??? As soon as they calculate their tax rate NOT ONE of them will go!! What a load of bull shiters they are and everybody else also who shot their mouths off!
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Yeah, the extremists are the real destabilizing issue, 60. They create the chaos. C,inton and Reagan were the two more recent presidents who were able to reach across the aisle and work with both sides. Don't know own if Trump can do that. Funny if he uses Gingrich as part of his team, as you mention that about Speakers, tho. I always liked Newt, tho I think he's gotten a little salty.

It will be good to see the whole country represented, and not just Hollywood, NY and DC. I wish them luck trying to please everyone.....

Comment

The one I would watch is Schumer. I think he is much more pragmatic and willing to move forward as opposed to being an obstructionist. When he steps in as minority leader though that could change. The dems have strong reason to fight everything Trump wants just as the republicans did Obama but sometime someone has to step up to be the one who walks across the isle for the good of the country. I think Schumer may be that guy. We will see.
            Years ago when the comic strip was popular I told my wife that the far side would be the death knell of the country. But it was the far left and the far right not the comic strip that I spoke of
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

The sad state of affairs-Gregg Popovich

Gregg Popovich fears fall of the country with Trump election

Originally posted on Larry Brown Sports | By Larry Brown | Last updated 11/12/16

San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich during the game against the Sacramento Kings at Golden 1 Center. Sergio Estrada-USA TODAY Sports
              A few NBA coaches have already weighed in on the decision to elect Donald Trump as president, and now San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has shared his thoughts.

Popovich spoke to the media Friday about his feelings on the election. He revealed that he is greatly disappointed with the result of the election, and he capped his statement by saying he fears this marks the downfall of the country.

Popovich deplored Trump’s use of fear-mongering, race-baiting and more scare tactics to get elected. He also noted Trump’s lack of sensitivity, morality and his bullying style.

His comments are presented here as transcribed by the San Antonio Express-News:

“Right now I’m just trying to formulate thoughts. It’s too early. I’m just sick to my stomach. Not basically because the Republicans won or anything, but the disgusting tenure and tone and all of the comments that have been xenophobic, homophobic, racist, misogynistic,” Popovich said.

“I live in that country where half of the people ignored all of that to elect someone. That’s the scariest part of the whole thing to me. It’s got nothing to do with the environment and Obamacare, and all of the other stuff. We live in a country that ignored all of those values that we would hold our kids accountable for. They’d be grounded for years if they acted and said the things that have been said in that campaign by Donald Trump.

“I look at the Evangelicals and I wonder, those values don’t mean anything to them? All of those values to me are more important than anybody’s skill in business or anything else because it tells who we are, and how we want to live, and what kind of people we are. That’s why I have great respect for people like Lindsey Graham and John McCain, John Kasich, who I disagree with on a lot of political things, but they had enough fiber and respect for humanity and tolerance for all groups to say what they said about the man.

“That’s what worries me. I get it, of course we want to be successful, we’re all going to say that. Everybody wants to be successful, it’s our country, we don’t want it to go down the drain. But any reasonable person would come to that conclusion, but it does not take away the fact that he used that fear mongering, and all of the comments, from day one, the race bating with trying to make Barack Obama, our first black president, illegitimate. It leaves me wondering where I’ve been living, and with whom I’m living.

“The fact that people can just gloss that over, start talking about the transition team, and we’re all going to be kumbaya now and try to make the country good without talking about any of those things. And now we see that he’s already backing off of immigration and Obamacare and other things, so was it a big fake, which makes you feel it’s even more disgusting and cynical that somebody would use that to get the base that fired up. To get elected. And what gets lost in the process are African Americans, and Hispanics, and women, and the gay population, not to mention the eighth grade developmental stage exhibited by him when he made fun of the handicapped person. I mean, come on. That’s what a seventh grade, eighth grade bully does. And he was elected president of the United States. We would have scolded our kids. We would have had discussions until we were blue in the face trying to get them to understand these things. He is in charge of our country. That’s disgusting.”

A reporter interjected, but Pop wanted to continue talking. That all led up to his ultimate point, which is sharing his fear that electing Trump was a move pointing to the downfall of the Roman Empire.

“I’m not done,” Popovich said. “One could go on and on, we didn’t make this stuff up. He’s angry at the media because they reported what he said and how he acted. That’s ironic to me. It makes no sense. So that’s my real fear, and that’s what gives me so much pause and makes me feel so badly that the country is willing to be that intolerant and not understand the empathy that’s necessary to understand other group’s situations. I’m a rich white guy, and I’m sick to my stomach thinking about it. I can’t imagine being a Muslim right now, or a woman, or an African American, a Hispanic, a handicapped person. How disenfranchised they might feel. And for anyone in those groups that voted for him, it’s just beyond my comprehension how they ignore all of that. My final conclusion is, my big fear is — we are Rome.”

Popovich is the coach of the USA Men’s Basketball National Team and one of the most respected coaches in all of sports, not just because of his ability to lead a basketball team, but also because of his overall wisdom. In addition to Popovich, championship-winning coach Steve Kerr voiced his concern about the election of Trump.

Comment

Amen, Gregg Popovich, you nailed it. How the evangelicals could latch on to Trump is a mystery to me.
                "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

That's a funny article. He focuses on everything that morally wrong with Trump.....while failing to mention the moral sewer that is Hilary. He mentions John Kasich, which is who I wanted as the republican nom. I have said that before. I was disappointed with that as well. I have said all along that is was a lesser of two evils.......but he only focuses on the one. No agenda here....... FAIL.

Oh, and he speaks of fear mongering? This whole piece was fear mongering. Rome indeed. Where is my douchbag photo..........

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                    That's a funny article. He focuses on everything that morally wrong with Trump.....while failing to mention the moral sewer that is Hilary. He mentions John Kasich, which is who I wanted as the republican nom. I have said that before. I was disappointed with that as well. I have said all along that is was a lesser of two evils.......but he only focuses on the one. No agenda here....... FAIL.

Oh, and he speaks of fear mongering? This whole piece was fear mongering. Rome indeed. Where is my douchbag photo..........

It seems like that's been out a lot lately LOL! I'm sure someone could write a book on Hillary-OH wait, they already have!!! I'm just thinking that these are really scary times as the country is so divided.

Comment

Yeah, great idea, Selling PANIC. He's just another public celebrity bashing people for voting for Trump. Nothing special here, I could give you a list of 30 of them. Of course, most of them I am sure are now on their personal jets headed off to live in foreign countries.....as they promised.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
                        The one I would watch is Schumer. I think he is much more pragmatic and willing to move forward as opposed to being an obstructionist. When he steps in as minority leader though that could change. The dems have strong reason to fight everything Trump wants just as the republicans did Obama but sometime someone has to step up to be the one who walks across the isle for the good of the country. I think Schumer may be that guy. We will see.
                        Years ago when the comic strip was popular I told my wife that the far side would be the death knell of the country. But it was the far left and the far right not the comic strip that I spoke of
                        I always liked him too ND along with Kasich. They both seem like excellent people.

Comment

I've said many times, I just want our govt to focus on a couple of key things. Their most important jobs are to protect our people, and maintain infrastructure (roads, transportation). Start there. If the Republicans can't take this mandate and successfully improve our security and infrastructure, then they are a FAIL. Party unity and finding ways to work with Congress are key. And that is all going to start with Trump's appointments and moves he makes very early in his term. Judgements start there. Shoild be fascinating...but don't look for any unbiased reporting from the media in this regard. Props to Oprah for showing some sanity!

Comment

That will also be a two way street. If the new administration berates (as Donald tends to do) reporters they will cast the negative light. If the new administration puts (name your big name reporters--NBC, CBS, ABC, et al) in the back of the room and they don't get to ask any questions they will report them in a bad light. As with lots of things in the country it is too bad. I don't know how we evolved to this point.
                            Part of it is the dumbing down of our society. Years ago there was a series that was done by, I believe, the Columbia school of journalism or school of law or something like that. Anyway there would be round table role play that took on a topic. I remember one in particular where a New York judge by the name of Anthony Scalia was a member if the round table. Mostly they were successful people- deans of schools of economics or law or journalism; judges, newspaper publishers, heads of TV news organizations, business people, etc. They would take on a topic, maybe rape or terrorists taking over an airport or whatever, and role play it for an hour or maybe two. Anyway, I found that to be extremely interesting and educational. But--no ratings. More people are interested in watching big bother or COPS. The dumbing down of America.
                            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

Issues are not discussed. No one reads anymore - beyond two sentences in a Facebook meme. Everyone has an attention span of about two seconds. We've turned into a nation of idiots. But, it is not just us: After the British voted for Brexit, many voters had regret because they did not know what they had actually voted for. I suspect the same thing will happen here, because our election was basically all about personalities. Plus, there was a deep strain of anti-intellectualism in Trump's message, which promotes the philosophy of voting with your emotions.
                              "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                                I've said many times, I just want our govt to focus on a couple of key things. Their most important jobs are to protect our people, and maintain infrastructure (roads, transportation). Start there. If the Republicans can't take this mandate and successfully improve our security and infrastructure, then they are a FAIL. Party unity and finding ways to work with Congress are key. And that is all going to start with Trump's appointments and moves he makes very early in his term. Judgements start there. Shoild be fascinating...but don't look for any unbiased reporting from the media in this regard. Props to Oprah for showing some sanity!
                                First of all, Trump really doesn't have a mandate. He didn't even secure a plurality of the votes. If he had a mandate, there wouldn't be people protesting in the streets.

Secondly, when Obama attempted to improve our infrastructure, the Republicans thwarted him because it widened our budget. They basically didn't want him to succeed. We'll now see their hypocrisy as they blow open the budget deficit - especially as they reduce taxes for the wealthy.

Third, Trump should give thanks to the media, because it's endless coverage of him (I think it was 79% to Hillary's 21%) elected him. And, to appeal to his supporters, Trump shrewdly criticized the media, all while he courted it.

I've got a feeling this is going to be the Bush Administration all over again. After eight years, we'll be at war and the economy will be in shambles.

Comment

Working...
                                X