Minimum wage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum wage?

How do you guys feel about it? Personally I think they should raise it for fulltime employees. I think minimum wage workers are mostly teenagers and part time people and they have no reason to raise them. Maybe I'm wrong?
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Deep subject 60. I don't have a good answer. Business people are in business for one reason; that is to make money. The more you pay the less you make. I'm not sure they have an incentive to pay more than minimum unless they have high costs in training or something so they can't afford high turnover.
    But I would also ask this. Unemployment in NJ is something like $650 or $700 per week. Complicated formulas or whatever determine how much you get. And you can work so many hours and still get the unemployment. So, a person works 32 hours per week at $10 an hour (above min wage but the employer doesn't pay much in the way of benefits) and gets $320 per week. Another is unemployed and gets $475 week plus works 15 hours a week at $7.25 for a total of just under $600 week. Really, why would you work.
    Maybe my data is incorrect on that example but I think it is pretty accurate. I guess my thought is that we need to rethink labor laws -- work weeks, minimum wages, unemployment, etc. I know lots and lots of places have had high unemployment while you can walk up and down the blvd in the business district and see hiring signs. Something just isn't right there
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Working...
    X