No announcement yet.

Eagles announce practice squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought he just rotated guys on the PS. Not to the roster but they might be let go and another guy signed and then another let go and another signed. Guys might be gone from PS and then back on the PS. They picked up PS checks but not roster checks. Could be wrong but I didn't think he messed with the roster.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
      Did you ever wonder why all 53 aren't activated each week? It's because guys don't get credit for playing in the pension system for games that they aren't activated in. Cheap friekin bastards. A kid that I coached missed his pension by 2 games.
      They definitely penny-pinch to a ludicrous degree. The pension doesn't have to be tied to being active or not -- it was just that was a concession when the rosters were increased beyond who could play in the games.

Bigger rosters are a more complicated topic though -- the NFLPA may not necessarily want that, because good teams could then stockpile more talent without playing them. Players who could play may be stashed by better teams who had a better run in the draft, preventing those players from getting playing time (and the higher contracts that would come from that). On the other hand, it is more full-time jobs. The salary cap would stay the same, meaning there is less on average for everyone, though the minimums are still there. Players on the fringes would be greatly helped; top-end players may not. Hard to say where the NFLPA weighs those.

The practice squads may evolve to being sort of an extension of the roster in that regard, while preventing teams from stockpiling obvious talent (since they could be poached by teams with an opening). And it has a different minimum salary.

The rule changes to bringing back a player on IR also somewhat point to a need for bigger rosters, and it has been argued. The rosters have increased over time. It started at 16 players in the 1920s, I think, though it was 45 by the 1960s or 1970s. It went to 49 in the early 80s, though shortly thereafter it changed to have 45 active and 53 total (this was for injured players mostly). Then you had the third QB rule to basically have 46 active, then the change to 46 players period.

Comment

Thanks ND I think that you are right. Sorry Rob for the misinformation.

FO, you are right about the player's union because in some ways it's not a union at all and once a player is established in the league he could give a shit about the bottom of the roster and he wants to grab as much cash as he can.

I bitch about owners but these guys are just as bad at times. They could care less about guys who played and are suffering the effects of pounding themselves and forget that they will be there someday too. They want the league to take care of them but don't want to contribute anything to a fund to help themselves out. These guys aren't the brightest bulbs in the circuit.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
        X