First Qtr Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Qtr Down

If you go by the old adage of breaking the seasons into quarters the first one turned out okay (of course it did last year too). Anyway, 3-1; have won a couple with some key injuries that may be back; played away from home; and nailed that first west coast game.
    The team has some talent and some of the depth is pretty good for depth guys but I've said before I don't think they are that good that they will be able to take any game lightly. The other old adage of one game at a time really speaks highly to me this year for this team.
    Lastly, no one knows how Doug will turn out in the long term but I have to say that I am pretty satisfied with him so far.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
    If you go by the old adage of breaking the seasons into quarters the first one turned out okay (of course it did last year too). Anyway, 3-1; have won a couple with some key injuries that may be back; played away from home; and nailed that first west coast game.
    The team has some talent and some of the depth is pretty good for depth guys but I've said before I don't think they are that good that they will be able to take any game lightly. The other old adage of one game at a time really speaks highly to me this year for this team.
    Lastly, no one knows how Doug will turn out in the long term but I have to say that I am pretty satisfied with him so far.
    Nothing to complain about when you're 3-1 baby! I wish that we had a breakaway RB though. I know that I keep harping on it but Pumphrey was a big disappoint. Maybe he'll surprise us next year but I'm not holding my breath.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I think this whole board would have been very very happy to ---- after knowing about the injuries----- to be 3 and 1, lead the division and already have 2 div wins.

Comment

I honestly thought 2-2 at the quarter pole but am thrilled to be 3-1. Schwartz seems to have a good grasp of what to call at the right time (i.e. blitz) and Dougie has done a nice job with play calling (Run the Frickin Ball).
        Combine those two along with the way Wentz is playing & I'm really beginning to think we're in for a Special Year.
        Time will tell but so far it's been alot of fun to watch.
        GO BIRDS!!!
        Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

We were 3 and 1 last year at this time as well. I'd be thrilled with 3-1 again in the next quarter.

Division wins are huge. That week 1 win over the Skins may end up being big at the end of the season. We really need to sweep them, so hopefully Norman is out for a while. We also get them after a mini bye as we play on Carolina on Thursday the week before.
          Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

My Eagle heritage is showing but I am worried that the focus on the running game the last 2 games was a result of the opponent and that there will be a return to an imbalanced ratio as soon as the first couple of runs don't work.

I hope I'm wrong but I am worried that the leopard doesn't change his spots very easily.

Comment

Pleased and quite surprised we're 3-1...especially in view of the multitude of injuries to defensive starters and to Sproles.

Good stuff:
              - Wentz still has some rough edges to polish (mainly related to holding the ball too long) but he gives every indication of being the real deal .
              - Some nice additions on offense and defense plus, Agholor and Kendricks seem to have been reborn.
              - After a very slow start, Blount is winning hearts with his bruising running style. Smallwood and Clement have both been impressive in spurts.
              - Oline seems to have gelled. Very impressive in both run and pass protection against SD.
              - Ertz is finally getting on E60's good side.
              - Elliott has been a pleasant surprise.
              - The ugly call on '4th and 8' notwithstanding, DP has done a decent job of play calling, IMHO. Absolutely loved how he handled the Chargers game by running the ball down their throats.

Not so good stuff:
              - F'kin injury bug. I hope we got our dose early.
              - Smith's hands.

That's not a whole lot to complain about.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
                My Eagle heritage is showing but I am worried that the focus on the running game the last 2 games was a result of the opponent and that there will be a return to an imbalanced ratio as soon as the first couple of runs don't work.

I hope I'm wrong but I am worried that the leopard doesn't change his spots very easily.
                That could very well happen Vet. One thing to keep in mind is that offenses around the league are scoring more than they did the first two weeks and gamblers were cleaning up betting the under. With the shortened minicamps and training camps most offenses were behind the defenses and are now catching up. I'm sure the Birds have been working hard on the run game and it is showing (mostly up front). I read today that Stoutland does all of the game planning for the run game. The thing that really interested me was that the only plays that we were running well up until this past Sunday were traps and this past week we didn't run one-it was all man to man! I guess that we'll find out Sunday if our run game is for real or not. I'm guessing that we throw more this week to change things up. Nice game planning by Doug and the coaches so far this year IMO.

Comment

Doug has already told us what he was going to do. So don't expect him to change... He will run when he feels it and he will pass when he feels it.

It isn't rocket science.

Comment

Game plans change week to week. I expect a pass heavy week to be occurring at some point. Just so it’s not 60 passes and 10 runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
                      Game plans change week to week. I expect a pass heavy week to be occurring at some point. Just so it’s not 60 passes and 10 runs.
                      You know Ross sometimes it just works out that way. San Diego stuck to their defensive game plan and pretty much dared us to run. The only time that I saw them crowd the LOS was on the goal line. The first 2 games teams were daring us to pass to beat them and we had to do it. I think Zona will try to make us pass too and we're going to see a lot of it this weekend. You have to take what the defense gives you.

Comment

Or be good enough to impose your will on the other team. I'm not sure the birds are that good
                        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                        Hope is not a strategy
                        RIP

Comment

Working...
                        X