Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
    Originally posted by MDFAN
    "and considering visions of Barry Gardner chasing Joe Jurevicius dancing in our heads - Trotter was justified. "

To this day I also say it was a mistake-- to ever take the tag off... but to use the above is wrong and nothing more than passing judgment AFTER history is written.

And IMO, there wasn't, at the time, justification for how Trotter handled it. He just didn't like the rules as they were set forth in the CBA. And the subsequent poor play of Gardner and others does not make justification, after the fact.

But, yes, after the fact and with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight it was a big mistake.
    * That's all I was saying. I'm not made at the FO for that one. But clearly it was stupid and was a mistake.
    I agree, in hindsight it was stupid and foolish on both sides... and in retrospect it hurt the Eagles more cause Trot still got the $$$ and the Eagles didn't get the service for those 2 years.

Comment

Not to continue the thread digression (except to do exactly that) but it's become a pet peeve of mine that people blame that Jurevicious play (or even the entire Tampa game) on Trotter's absence. Am I the only one who realizes that Trotter can't cover a receiver to save his life, let alone a wideout? Remember how they signed Shawn Barber to get him the hell off the field on nickel downs? People need to face facts - the Eagles got their butts kicked in that game, and no single play would have changed it.

Comment

"no single play would have changed it. "

Totally agree and this has been a mantra of mine for many many years.... too many plays(on both sides of the ball) happen over the course of a game to blame only one for a loss.

It's like the same in baseball where many think that losing a game in Sept hurts more than losing one in April does, it's same thing only on a season long outlook.

Now about Reggie getting hurt...........................

Comment

Originally posted by IMK
          Not to continue the thread digression (except to do exactly that) but it's become a pet peeve of mine that people blame that Jurevicious play (or even the entire Tampa game) on Trotter's absence. Am I the only one who realizes that Trotter can't cover a receiver to save his life, let alone a wideout? Remember how they signed Shawn Barber to get him the hell off the field on nickel downs? People need to face facts - the Eagles got their butts kicked in that game, and no single play would have changed it.
          * Well - it makes me feel better. The Michael Lewis benching over a broken down Blaine Bishop also cost us.

That play turned that game dramatically.
          Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
          Playoff Appearances:
          NFC Title Games:
          Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman
            Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal
            Just slight nitpicking, but I'd be suprised if Cole ever becomes full-time starter. He's too small. He's good at what he does, but his roll probably stays what it is for much of his career - and that's a situational pass rusher. Nothing wrong with that, of course.
            What the heck is too small about being 6'3" @ 270lbs that compares very well with McDougle, Kearse and Howard. Are they all too small to play DE?? You may have missed out on Coles's continued off-season build-up during which he is reported to have gained a ton of muscle.
            Interesting. NFL.com has him listed as 6'2" and 257 pounds, and in their write-up actually note that he gained 14 pounds in 2004. So just 2 years ago he was almost 30 pounds lighter (and grew an inch! Hehe)? Impressive. Maybe he'll prove me - and every other analysis - wrong if he's works that hard to beef himself up.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman
              Just slight nitpicking, but I'd be suprised if Cole ever becomes full-time starter. He's too small. He's good at what he does, but his roll probably stays what it is for much of his career - and that's a situational pass rusher. Nothing wrong with that, of course.
              What the heck is too small about being 6'3" @ 270lbs that compares very well with McDougle, Kearse and Howard. Are they all too small to play DE?? You may have missed out on Coles's continued off-season build-up during which he is reported to have gained a ton of muscle.
              Interesting. NFL.com has him listed as 6'2" and 257 pounds, and in their write-up actually note that he gained 14 pounds in 2004. So just 2 years ago he was almost 30 pounds lighter (and grew an inch! Hehe)? Impressive. Maybe he'll prove me - and every other analysis - wrong if he's works that hard to beef himself up.
              Some confirmation from the time of his draft.

Regarding his weight coming out of college(EMB): "And he was so difficult to stop because of that speed. At just 240 pounds (and that's being liberal), Cole beat blockers with sheer burst, great acceleration and a lot of effort and constant hustle."

likewise from SI at drafttime: "Ht., Wt.: 6-2.5, 236"

Regarding what they expected him to do in preparation for the 05 season(EMB):"What Is Next: Cole will eventually have to work on his weight and try to get into the 250-pound range (maybe more) and retain his speed."

Regarding this current off-season (EMB):
              Cole yearns to build on the rookie season. He's become stronger - Cole's listed at 270 pounds, 10 more than this time last season "

From FD's "Off The Wall" dept., I wonder if he couldn't also become a secret weapon "big back" after reading this blurb about his HS stats from his alma mater Cinncy: "At Xenia High School Cole was named All-State by the Associated Press and Defensive Lineman of the Year his senior season after recording 121 tackles and eight sacks, not to mention rushing on the offensive side of the ball for more than 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns."

Likewise from a Reuben Frank article about him:
              'Trent Cole always wanted to be a running back. He ran the ball for the Xenia (Ohio) Bulldogs back in high school and was actually recruited by several colleges as a running back.
              “Sometimes I wish I was still a running back,” Cole said................
              What about that career as a running back?
              Cole actually still uses a lot of techniques from his running backs days as a defensive end.
              The first step, the ability to see holes, the knack for cutting and turning in small spaces. It all goes back to running back.
              “Having been a running back definitely helps,” he said. “If a hole opens, hit that hole. Really, I feel like a running back out there playing defense.”

Comment

Wow, Cole is from Xenia? I went to school like eight miles from there.

Comment

Originally posted by IMK
                  Wow, Cole is from Xenia? I went to school like eight miles from there.
                  Doesn't count, since you didn't even know in the first place. \/
                  Pedro

Comment

I didn't say I went to the prom with the guy. I just know his hometown. And it starts with an 'X', which has to count for something.

Incidentally, Dave Chappelle is from that area too.

Comment

Working...
                    X