Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much will DeSean Jackson's Extension be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
    The NFL should at least consider offering events like that as pay per view, Jukin. Throw some kind of bone to the ignored fan base.

In fact, why not round up guys like TO, Sapp, Keyshawn Johnson, Rosenhaus, Haynesworth, Jerry Jones, Matt Millen, Emmitt Smith etc, and have some kind of Euthanasia with the Stars show to fill in the NFL void. We could all tune in to see who gets voted off the planet each week until football resumes. Goodell and D Smith should be slated to face off for the first week in Sept.

Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

http://phillysportsdaily.com/eagles/...ontract-front/

"Silence” On DeSean Jackson Contract Front
      By: Tim McManus on August 22, 2011 11:25 am

News of Larry Fitzgerald’s eight-year, $120 million contract extension led many to wonder, “How is this affecting the DeSean Jackson contract talks?”
      A good question, if there were talks going on.

But, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, there is “silence” between the Eagles and DeSean Jackson’s camp when it comes to negotiations.

A common thought was that the Eagles, who simply don’t engage with players who are holding out, would try and put a new deal on the fast track once Jackson reported to camp. To this point, that hasn’t happened.
      The 24-year-old receiver showed up to Lehigh on Aug. 8 and began practicing several days later, an insurance policy in tow.

“I’m here to play for the Philadelphia Eagles. I have a year left under my contract. Hopefully something can work out, I think everything will,” said Jackson upon arriving to Bethlehem. “I know where my destination is, and my destiny is to be here and to be an Eagle.”

One possibility for the delay is that the Eagles are waiting to complete a contract extension with Michael Vick before addressing any other financial matters. Those talks are moving forward, we’re told, as a formal offer from the team was expected as early as last Friday. Teams have until Sept. 20 to sign their designated franchise players to a multi-year contract or extension. Otherwise, they would have to wait until the end of the season to execute a long-term deal.
      Once Vick’s new contract is put to bed, the Eagles will know exactly how much cap room they are working with. ProFootballTalk reported that, as of Aug. 15, they have just $2 million of cap space. Vick’s reworked deal could grow that number. The question is, by how much? And are the Eagles planning on spending any newfound cap dollars on a receiver that is already under contract?

The ace in their back pocket is the franchise tag. Once Vick is signed, the Eagles would be free to apply that designation to Jackson, keeping him in the fold through 2012 without any long-term financial commitment. In doing so, however, they risk the possibility of Jackson’s mood souring significantly, and the type of headaches that come along with that.

Jackson took to Twitter after hearing of Fitzgerald’s mega-deal, writing: “Congrats to my Big bro @LarryFitzgerald!! Well deserved.. Wideouts ballin!!”

It is unknown just how long Fitzgerald will have to wait to send a return congratulatory message.

Comment

That doesn't surprise me. They have to do Vick first to free up cap space for Jackson.
        Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

I am not sure they do Vick first. I think they wait to final cuts, make sure they have the flexability to make the final moves they need and then see what they have to play with. Everyone keeps talking about the Vick deal being teh key to teh puzzle. I think Vick's deal gets done mid season or later. They really need to see what/which Vick they are getting. Is he the guy that lead teh team in teh first 1/2 of last season or the one that struggled with injuries and his play late in the season. I am not sure they are 100% sold on Vick long term. That sounds strange considering they got rid of Kolb, but I think they saw a lot of value and exploited the situtaion. Kolb got them a player that was needed at the time, freed up cap space, allowing them to sign additioanl plyers and dded a good draft pick next year.

Comment

kyfred, you just made an interesting thought pop into my head........

I wonder, if they had known tht they would land Nnamdi, would they have been as eager to make that Kolb deal, or might they have more likely opted to hang onto him?
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Teh way this team looks ahead Fresh I think that pick would be too much to pass up in order to keep Kolb for another year.

Kolb= 1 year good back up + Some Cap savings (Can't find the Young signing number)Young= 1 year mediocre/poor back up + DRC+ 2nd rounder in 2012

Besides by getting Asomugha and DRC that gives them a trading chip in Asante. That has to make them happy to have more flexibility.

Comment

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...tzgerald-money

DeSean Jackson Not Looking For Larry Fitzgerald Money?

That Cardinals made Larry Fitzgerald the highest paid WR in the history of the NFL this past week when they handed him an 8-year $120 million deal with upwards of $50 million guaranteed. That massive deal raised some eyebrows around here because we've got a two time pro bowl WR of our own looking for a new contract and Fitzgerald's deal could adjust the expectations a guy like DeSean Jackson has for a new deal.

However, speaking to the Eagles website, it doesn't necessarily seem that way.
                "The things he's done, he's been in the league of course a longer time than me," said Jackson. "It's his third deal. So as far as him being a different player than myself, comparing the type of receivers we are, he's a totally different type of receiver than I am. So we don't compare as far as receiver wise.

"He's a good player. He's one of the top receivers in the NFL like myself, so of course when it comes down to that, yeah, but money-wise or stats-wise, I don't compare any of that stuff. I just take care of what I have to take care of."
                Of course, Jackson did say that he sees himself as one of the best WRs in the NFL... So while he's not going to command Fitzgerald money, he's not coming cheap either.

Comment

When is this getting done? It's annoying. If he was an available free agent and we could get him we'd give him absurd money.
                  Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                  Playoff Appearances:
                  NFC Title Games:
                  Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Yes but...we are in a "position of power". We don't have to give him a new deal, and he has to play for us and no one else this season. We have that leverage and I am sure the Eagles plan on making full use of it.
                    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                      Yes but...we are in a "position of power". We don't have to give him a new deal, and he has to play for us and no one else this season. We have that leverage and I am sure the Eagles plan on making full use of it.
                      I wouldn't get too used to seeing him around Fresh. I think he's gone after this season. Let's face it. If he does hit the market he'll get absurb money from somebody.
                      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                        I wouldn't get too used to seeing him around Fresh. I think he's gone after this season. Let's face it. If he does hit the market he'll get absurb money from somebody.

My guess is that Jer-uh would throw a ton of cash at him to improve their already good WRs, but also as a little give back to the Eagles for the Asomugha deal.

Comment

He's not leaving.
                          Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                          Playoff Appearances:
                          NFC Title Games:
                          Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY View Post
                            He's not leaving.

Agreed. The Eagles will make him a reasonable offer. The only way he leaves is if he expects to be paid in the $10 M/year range. If he wants that kind of money someone will offer it to him but it'll be a crappy team hoping to excite the fan base and DJ won't be seeing the playoffs again.

Comment

I agree as well. I feel comfortably certain that they will get a new deal done with Desean. And I am not surprised that it didn't happen right away after he reported to camp.

Comment

I know this is monopoly money to all of us, but I just don't know where you guys are pulling this 8-10 million figure from? I don't think he's going to sign for that. Of course, I'm hoping I'm wrong!
                                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                                X