X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants lose Terrell Thomas for the year

torn acl

bad news for them

Pretty significant loss. They haven't been able to keep a healthy secondary in God knows how long. Maybe their best DB, guy was going into a contract year, too. A lot will depend on how Amukamara comes back from his injury

Comment

could be another SS situation

Comment

Gee! That's tough luck!

Especially in view of the many Gnats' fans on BBI that were predicting Thomas would maim Steve Smith on a crossing pattern this year. This was called for to avenge NY for Smith's disloyalty.

Imagine the selfishness of not excepting a 'possible' offer that was half what he got from Philly.

Comment

That is true -- I did forget that the Eagles performed terrifically in that Steelers game on the first three priorities:

1) No injuries.
          2) No injuries.
          3) No injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
            That is true -- I did forget that the Eagles performed terrifically in that Steelers game on the first three priorities:

1) No injuries.
            2) No injuries.
            3) No injuries.
            Exactly. As far as I'm concerned they are 2-0 so far.

Comment

Giants sure did look imposing last night. Any expectation by Eagles fans that they were going to take a step back because of their lousy offseason is not going to work out. They will be their usual rugged selves.

Aaron Ross steps in at CB. He can play. Thry'll be fine there and will get Prince in at some point. Watch them pick up whoever the Eagles cut at CB or trade for Hanson.
              Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

they suck and will implode again because of ol play and a lack of defensive depth
                  You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

The Giants looked terrible vs Carolina and started the same way last night...until the 2nd quarter when Chicago started to take its #1 D personnel out...obviously Chicago's #2 and #3 guys did not play well because it became a bloodbath pretty quickly after they came in...

To me, its the same Giants offense we have beaten 7 times straight....run with Bradshaw/Jacobs and play action...only they do not have Boss and Smith who were Eli's favorite targets and his safety valves. Manningham dropped more balls last night as we Eagles fans fondly remember and Hicks is the only WR that causes me any worry. The OL looked fairly shaky and Eli had the deer in the headlights look we all know well vs the Chicago #1 D (Peppers was in his face all night).
                    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
                      The Giants looked terrible vs Carolina and started the same way last night...until the 2nd quarter when Chicago started to take its #1 D personnel out...obviously Chicago's #2 and #3 guys did not play well because it became a bloodbath pretty quickly after they came in...

To me, its the same Giants offense we have beaten 7 times straight....run with Bradshaw/Jacobs and play action...only they do not have Boss and Smith who were Eli's favorite targets and his safety valves. Manningham dropped more balls last night as we Eagles fans fondly remember and Hicks is the only WR that causes me any worry. The OL looked fairly shaky and Eli had the deer in the headlights look we all know well vs the Chicago #1 D (Peppers was in his face all night).
                      We were definitely not watching the same game. Their o-line looked good to me, they've got a guy in Hanlon who can really coach up linemen.
                      Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Eli had to move alot and the pressure messed up pass plays a bunch of times, Eli was 8/16 for 76 yds and their first two drives were 3 and outs for a combined 11 yards. That was against the Bears #1 D.

In their third drive, they finally got something going, two big plays (18 yd run by Jacobs and 21 yd pass play by Eli), but had to settle for a FG.

They did not get rolling really until the Bears reserves came in the 2nd quarter and Carr was the guy who threw all the TD, not Eli.

I'm pretty confident we know the Giants well and I've not seen anything different, but it is preseason and so naturally its going to be vanilla. I just think without Boss/Smith Eli is going to struggle and we've been pretty good at shutting Jacobs/Bradshaw down.
                        Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

And now they lost Brian Witherspoon too. Wow.

Giants CB Brian Witherspoon announced Tuesday that he's out for the season with an ACL tear.

He'll be placed on injured reserve later this week. Witherspoon has always been more of a kick returner than cornerback, but his injury highlights the Giants' lack of depth in the secondary after losing three corners earlier in camp.

Comment

Damn, I wish we had some talented receivers to take advantage of that depleted Giants secondary..........
                            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2011/08/...st-food-chain/

Terrell Thomas’ Injury Pushes Giants Down the NFC East Food Chain
                              Aug 23rd, 2011 by Matt Chandik.

New York Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas tore his ACL Monday night against the Bears and will miss the 2011 season. That you already knew. The major question that now lingers, though, is whether or not this is an injury that has the potential to turn the NFC East upside down this year.
                              Thomas is a special cornerback. I don’t think he’s an elite cover guy or a corner who can ever be tasked with taking out the opposing team’s No. 1 receiver on a game-by-game basis, but the man makes plays. He boasts back-to-back five-interception seasons and forced five fumbles in that same span of time. Additionally, on a team that doesn’t have one elite corner but rather a pack of good ones, Thomas’ absence is bound to cause a major ripple effect that tests the Giants’ depth and ability to switch things around.

The NFC East might be able to lay claim to being the best division in football when it comes to wide receivers (and overall, for that matter). With the likes of DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, Santana Moss and Anthony Armstrong patrolling the outside spots, the quality and the quantity of receivers are both abundant in the Beast. With those top-notch receivers, the continued evolution of the NFL passing game and the lack of corners in the NFL in comparison to the amount of solid wideouts, cornerback remains one of the positions that teams hate losing someone to injury the most.

With Thomas gone, Aaron Ross likely steps in to a starting role opposite Corey Webster. That’s not a bad duo, actually. The scary part is who comes after them. Prince Amukamara, the team’s first-round pick out of Nebraska, is also injured and will continue to be injured for a while. I know that the Giants tend to play a lot of three-safety packages in the nickel, especially with strong safety Kenny Phillips back from injury, but only being able to count on two good cornerbacks is a genuine cause for concern. Webster and Ross can’t reasonably be expected to shoulder the load all season. Who steps in?

The Giants gave up 25.67 points per game last season in NFC East play, and that included 514 yards, five touchdowns and only one interception by Jon Kitna. Jon. Friggin. Kitna. With a better quarterback, who knows what the Cowboys will be able to do to the Giants?

Quite frankly, this injury is petrifying to the Giants. It has to be. Honestly, I think that particular injury, coupled with the lack of depth behind Thomas and Ross at corner, pushes the Giants down to the third-best team in the NFC East. No, Dallas isn’t great at corner either, with both Orlando Scandrick and Mike Jenkins regressing a year ago, but it just may still be in better position than New York. Additionally, I think Rob Ryan will help the defense improve significantly. Thomas is far from being the only problem New York has on defense, too. Osi Umenyiora is hurt. The defensive tackles don’t instill fear into anyone. The linebacking corps is underwhelming, at best, right now. I’m an Eagles fan. I know what an underwhelming linebacking corps looks like. No one’s sure what Kenny Phillips will be like this year, either. I’ll take a wait-and-see approach before writing the Giants’ 2011 obituary (grumble grumble Super Bowl run taught me to do that grumble grumble), but as of right now, it’s difficult to see them having the defensive firepower to keep up with Philly and Dallas.

Comment

Working...
                              X