Kirwan Tidbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirwan Tidbit

I saw a quick segment featuring Pat Kirwan on NFL Network yesterday discussing the June 1st cuts and how rosters are put together by teams...

He said most teams have about 7-9M in cap space now...supposedly, according to him, a team needs roughly 5M to sign all their draft picks thus most teams should not have to cut any vets loose today or moving forward for cap reasons....it would only be for performance reasons, but his reasoning was it would happen more likely later after teams get to see the rookies perform in these mini-camps, see how the new FA they have brought it fit and what injuries occur etc. Then if all looks good, they will cut a vet loose...

He also said that most teams bring about 80-85 players into TC to evaluate, but that most teams have 75-80% of their rosters basically set even now. Teams can have 53 players on the roster, 8 on the PS, or 61 total...then normally there are 3-5 guys who get injured and are put on IR which leaves about 15-20 players to evaluate and cut from...

I thought it was a much more wide open process, but looking at our roster I do see it is pretty clear who the starters are in most cases and even who the backups are...there are a couple of areas that could change, but someone has to really impress to make the jump...
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid
Working...
X