Injury report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injury report

Eagles Injury Report: Sidney Jones full go while seven other players sit out
    News and updates.

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Oct 9, 2019, 5:13pm EDT

The Philadelphia Eagles issued their first official injury report on Wednesday in advance of their Week 6 game against the Minnesota Vikings.

The big news is that Sidney Jones returned to practice as a full participant after being limited all last week and not playing in Week 5. Jones should be on track to start across from Rasul Douglas on Sunday. Those two will be tasked with covering Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs. Craig James will go back to the bench.

Seven players did not participate in Wednesday’s practice: DeSean Jackson, Orlando Scandrick, Darren Sproles, Corey Clement, Ronald Darby, Avonte Maddox, and Timmy Jernigan.

Jackson is reportedly set to return at some point between Week 7 through Week 9. The Eagles offense sorely misses his speed. Philadelphia will once again be down to Alshon Jeffery, Nelson Agholor, Mack Hollins, and JJ Arcega-Whiteside at wide receiver this week.

Scandrick missed practice due to illness. Guessing he should be fine to be the Eagles’ slot corner this week, assuming he didn’t catch mono from Sam Darnold.

Darren Sproles was described as “week-to-week” by Doug Pederson on Monday. So, who knows when the 36-year-old running back will be back. Sproles’ injury means the Eagles will have a new punt returner. Pederson declined to reveal who’ll be returning punts for the Eagles but Clement and Agholor figure to be the most likely candidates. The Eagles could opt to promote practice squad receiver Marcus Green, since he has punt return experience. Boston Scott does not have much punt return experience and he really struggled in that capacity during the preseason.

Clement surprisingly missed practice due to a shoulder injury. Did he re-injure the shoulder he originally hurt in Week 2? Not good. If healthy, Clement is poised to contribute more on both offense and special teams with Sproles out. If Clement’s hurt, though, the Eagles will need to make a move at running back to have a third guy behind Jordan Howard and Miles Sanders. For what it’s worth, Clement told Dave Zangaro he’ll be back at practice on Thursday.

Darby and Maddox are still on the mend. Darby’s recovering from a hamstring issue while Maddox still isn’t out of his neck brace. Maybe they’ll be ready for Week 7 but that’s no sure bet.

Jernigan is three weeks in to his reported four-to-six week recovery timeline, so, he should be back in one-to-three weeks.

Two players were limited participants: Rodney McLeod and Jason Peters.

McLeod’s a new addition to the injury report. He’s been playing well coming off the ACL/MCL injuries he suffered in September 2018. One would hope the Eagles are just being cautious with the veteran safety.

Peters was added to the injury report last week but didn’t miss many snaps against the Jets. The Eagles are managing the 37-year-old’s workload this week to ensure he can suit up on Sunday.

Derek Barnett isn’t on the injury report for the first time all season. He’d previously been listed with shoulder, ankle, and groin injuries.

We’ll learn more abut the team’s injury situation when they put out their second injury report tomorrow afternoon.

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES INJURY REPORT (WEDNESDAY)
    DID NOT PARTICIPATE

RB Corey Clement (shoulder)
    CB Ronald Darby (hamstring)
    WR DeSean Jackson (abdomen)
    DT Timmy Jernigan (foot)
    CB Avonte Maddox (concussion, neck)
    CB Orlando Scandrick (illness)
    RB Darren Sproles (quad)

LIMITED PARTICIPATION

S Rodney McLeod (knee)
    OT Jason Peters (knee)

FULL PARTICIPATION

CB Sidney Jones (hamstring)

MINNESOTA VIKINGS INJURY REPORT (WEDNESDAY)
    Vikings starting right guard Josh Kline missed Wednesday’s practice with a foot injury. Weakside linebacker Ben Gedeon also sat out.

DID NOT PARTICIPATE

LB Ben Gedeon (concussion)
    DT Linval Joseph (not injury related)
    OG Josh Kline (foot)

LIMITED PARTICIPATION

CB Mackensie Alexander (elbow, groin)
    LB Kentrell Brothers (hamstring, wrist)

FULL PARTICIPATION

TE Irv Smith Jr. (quad)
    DT Shamar Stephen (knee)
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

The amount of players we get injured every year is staggering compared to other teams. Makes me question what we do training wise?
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

We really need DJ and Jernigan back for Dallas. Those Dallas games are probably going to determine the division winner.

Comment

If we somehow/someway could be 6-3 or even 5-4 heading into the bye week I'd watch out.

After the bye we should be healthy as long as we don't have more injuries.

And after the break we play:

At Skins, At Dolphins, At Giants

Home against Dallas, Seahawks, Pats, Giants

We can run that table and end up 12-4 or man 13-3 would be crazy good.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

AW and Pliny nailed it. I’d happily take 5-4 at the break.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
            If we somehow/someway could be 6-3 or even 5-4 heading into the bye week I'd watch out.

After the bye we should be healthy as long as we don't have more injuries.

And after the break we play:

At Skins, At Dolphins, At Giants

Home against Dallas, Seahawks, Pats, Giants

We can run that table and end up 12-4 or man 13-3 would be crazy good.
            Big "if" for both questions in my book!

Comment

DJ and Jernigan are difference makers!

Comment

Although I am a 'win every game' guy I think 6-3 would be peaches. I think there will be progress in getting guys healthy I am not sure the secondary will ever be healthy
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                  Although I am a 'win every game' guy I think 6-3 would be peaches. I think there will be progress in getting guys healthy I am not sure the secondary will ever be healthy
                  Or any good. Our offense has to get cranking if we’re going to make the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                    The amount of players we get injured every year is staggering compared to other teams. Makes me question what we do training wise?
                    The Eagles started changing the medical staff a couple of years ago and ever since the injury report seems to be bigger each week. It may be a coincidence but it sure seems like the new docs and trainers just don’t get the fact that pro athletes need to be treated differently then the general public. I think I would have every player doing yoga and an hour of stretching a day. Keeping them flexible is the best way to avoid soft tissue injuries.
                    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Docs and the strength and conditioning staff- - they may be high caliber but the naked eye evidence doesn't support that. Injuries happen in the NFL because it is a collision sport so I understand a broken collar bone or ACL here and there. For me the issue continues to be hamstrings, ab strain, sports hernia, quad injuries. I'm just not sure all of those are contact injuries.
                      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                        Docs and the strength and conditioning staff- - they may be high caliber but the naked eye evidence doesn't support that. Injuries happen in the NFL because it is a collision sport so I understand a broken collar bone or ACL here and there. For me the issue continues to be hamstrings, ab strain, sports hernia, quad injuries. I'm just not sure all of those are contact injuries.
                        I agree NoDak. The soft tissue injuries are the problem and to a run-of-the-mill moron like me, it is those types of injures that should be largely preventable. Side Note: My wife just told me that I am selling myself short by saying I am a “run-of-the-mill” moron. She said I’m one of the biggest morons she knows . Since I am one of the top morons, I may not the best person to judge. Even so, IMO these are injuries that better conditioning can prevent.
                        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I'm not sure what we can do about it Juke. We've had a different staff each of the last 3 years with no improvement.

Comment

Working...
                          X