Maybe The Birds DO Know Their Shit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe The Birds DO Know Their Shit

After reading this little note about Brandon Washington,I'm liking the pick even more.
    O-Linemen Face Tough Transition

Posted 2 hours ago

By Bo Wulf
    • Every rookie at the NovaCare Complex this weekend is going through a significant adjustment to life as a professional football player. The format and tempo of practice is often very different, as is the level of player on the field. But you can make a case that no position group is undergoing a more stark transformation than the offensive line. As they prepare to line up opposite a higher-quality caliber of pass rusher in the NFL, rookie offensive linemen for the Eagles are also adjusting to the Howard Mudd technique of blocking, which takes some getting used to.

"It's a little different coming from Purdue," said the Eagles' fifth-round pick Dennis Kelly, who has been working primarily at his collegiate position of left tackle this weekend. "That was a lot more straight back pass setting whereas now it's a lot more aggressive. But I like it. It kind of surprises the defense and kind of takes away their move, so I'm just getting used to it. Doing the technique and everything is the next step."

The transition is a little smoother for Brandon Washington, the guard selected in the sixth round by the Eagles. Prior to being moved to tackle in his senior season, Washington played guard for Miami (FL) where he was coached by Jeff Stoutland, who is now the offensive line coach for Alabama.

"He learned up under Howard Mudd," Washington said of Stoutland. "So I kind of got a headstart on some of the techniques they teach here so it feels no different. I just have to suck up everything like a sponge, listen to everything, and I should be great."

Washington's focus is also on easing back into his natural guard position.

"I'm back home, back at guard," he said. "I have to get back to the fundamentals and basics of playing guard. I'm still in the tackle mindset, kind of getting overset at times, kind of lead with my hands at times. At guard, you have to keep it firm in the middle."

Helping Kelly and Washington along in this transition is Eugene Chung, who is standing in for Howard Mudd as the offensive line coach this weekend. A first-round pick of the New England Patriots in 1992, Chung is plenty familiar with the process ahead for Kelly and Washington.

"I like him," Kelly said of Chung. "He's a lot of fun, but he also makes sure that we get everything done. In the meeting room, he likes to joke around, make sure that everyone's having a good time. There's not a lot of stress but at the same time he makes sure we're all going to work, figuring everything out."

Washington also has an in-place support system of fellow products of "The U." Along with undrafted rookie Jacory Harris, Washington is joined on the Eagles by fellow ex-Hurricanes Graig Cooper and Antonio Dixon.

"I feel at home in Philly for some reason, maybe because I want to be here," said Washington, who was told by Dixon prior to the draft that Philadelphia would be the perfect place for him. "I know what type of organization it is, what type of staff it is, so maybe because I want to be here I feel at home."

That comfort should certainly help as Washington prepares for the long road to his first NFL season. And for Kelly, the magnitude of the task at hand is beginning to sink in.

"It's exciting to be out here," Kelly said. "I was talking to the other rookies and it's kind of like, right now we're Philadelphia Eagles."
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

musicman - this type of article comes out of PE.com every single year. You can't get too high based on Al Jezerra reports.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
      musicman - this type of article comes out of PE.com every single year. You can't get too high based on Al Jezerra reports.

mm you should realize that if the article is positive then it's bogus. Come on man you know where we live.... nega-delphia.
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Don't know about the birds in general, but it's pretty obvious that Mudd knows his $hit. Same with Washburn. It's very comforting to actually be able to trust that these coaches are going to have a productive unit, and get the most out of their players. I really trust them.

I wish I could say the same about Andy and Marty.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
          Don't know about the birds in general, but it's pretty obvious that Mudd knows his $hit. Same with Washburn. It's very comforting to actually be able to trust that these coaches are going to have a productive unit, and get the most out of their players. I really trust them.

I wish I could say the same about Andy and Marty.
          Yeah but you've got to give Andy credit for getting those two in here....one out of retirement.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
            Yeah but you've got to give Andy credit for getting those two in here....one out of retirement.
            Don't pop a woody here Fresh. He got Marty out of retirement too.
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Hey, popping a woody while on chemo is an accomplishment!
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Hey, popping a woody while on chemo is an accomplishment!
                Damn you're a legend Fresh!
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

This single Bo Wulf article about a sixth round pick written one month after the draft has convinced me! The Eagles DO know their shit!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                    mm you should realize that if the article is positive then it's bogus. Come on man you know where we live.... nega-delphia.

If you take PE.com as objective, I've got a "this year's breakout star in camp" autograph jersey from Spads I'd like to sell you. Get it while it's hot! You don't want to miss out on this year's Riley Cooper jersey!

Comment

Hey, I don't know what got into me. I've heard/read about 4-5 different people say the kid is an absolute animal at G and he's familiar with the Mudd system and was liked by Coach Mudd. I'll temper my enthusiasm and will be a stick in the Mud(d). Fucking Eagles suck,can't coach,can't draft,gonna finish last .Better ?
                      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

People are getting a little grouch around here. Lighten up my knuckleheads !

Comment

I take all reports in the media (and PE.com is barely media) with a grain of salt. Can't get too high on this stuff.

Take PE.com and 610 and go with somewhere in the mdidle.

Comment

C'mon Fresh, you must have missed Juke's comment above...no positivity is allowed and its obvious Reid has no clue what's he doing
                            Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Ahh that's better. Now it feels like home again! Seriously though Vin is right about the media in Philadelphia. Two days ago it was reported that McCoy was likely going to hold out at the beginning of camp. 48 hours later they're announcing a new deal.
                              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Working...
                              X