Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I doubt it

Andy Reid says LeSean McCoy was 'overplayed' last year

Share on emailShare on printShare on twitterShare on facebookShare on myspaceShare on stumbleuponShare on digg|More Sharing ServicesMore

Eagles coach Andy Reid on Saturday said that be intends to reduce the amount of touches LeSean McCoy gets.

"I probably overplayed (LeSean) McCoy a little bit, even though he doesn't want to hear that," Reid said according to Philadelphiaeagles.com. "As he continues to get older and have the number of reps under his belt that he does, you'll want to back off the number of reps that he does."

McCoy started 15 games for the Eagles and carried the ball 273 times for 17 touchdowns and 1,309 yards in 2011. He also caught 48 passes for three touchdown and 315 yards.

Reid also said he would have liked to get the ball to Dion Lewis a little more.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
    Andy Reid says LeSean McCoy was 'overplayed' last year
    When I first looked at the bold header I misread overplayed as overpaid, and all I could think was 'WTF is he up to now?'

I would like to see another quality back take some of Shady's load. Running backs take such a beating anymore and I'd like to see Shady last in top form as long as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
      When I first looked at the bold header I misread overplayed as overpaid, and all I could think was 'WTF is he up to now?'

I would like to see another quality back take some of Shady's load. Running backs take such a beating anymore and I'd like to see Shady last in top form as long as possible.
      He beat the hell out of Westbrook, so I have no doubt that he'll do the same thing to McCoy. I think the last #2 back that got a decent amount of playing time was Buckhalter.

Comment

Then he needs a second back to get more touches. Reid admits M Vick needs to avoid injury. Well, by running the ball more and throwing more three step passes Vick is less exposed. But Reid wants to take too many shots down field with 5 -7 step drops, which causes defensive coordinators to salivate
        Sonny J

Comment

He beat the hell out of Westbrook, so I have no doubt that he'll do the same thing to McCoy. I think the last #2 back that got a decent amount of playing time was Buckhalter.

I was thinking the same thing about Westy. They simply used him up too fast. He was such a very special talent that it was shortsighted of AR not to limit his touches more than they did. Of course, as you point out, other than Bucky, they never managed to find a quality alternative.

It gets back to my only serious problem with AR...a pattern of foolishly optimistic assessment of 1 or 2 players (or coaches) each year thatre a key to the success of the program.

Comment

This is what Andy means:

- reduce mccoy's carries by
            - giving Dion Lewis 3 touches a game
            - Pass more

Comment

Even Buckhalter got what, 3-4 carries a game? I agree, every year Reid says he wants to limit McCoy/Westbrook's touches, and every year he won't take them off the field.

Comment

Originally posted by IMK View Post
                Even Buckhalter got what, 3-4 carries a game? I agree, every year Reid says he wants to limit McCoy/Westbrook's touches, and every year he won't take them off the field.
                I really wouldn't take them off the field either if I'm him. Except in games that are in the bag, of course. Otherwise, more McCoy all the time, please. If this is "the year," then don't screw it up by getting cute and letting your 2nd best players fire bullets any more than to give the 1's a breather.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyj View Post
                  Then he needs a second back to get more touches. Reid admits M Vick needs to avoid injury. Well, by running the ball more and throwing more three step passes Vick is less exposed. But Reid wants to take too many shots down field with 5 -7 step drops, which causes defensive coordinators to salivate
                  the threat of the run makes playaction a thing of beauty.We have had and currently have linemen who openly slobber when you mention running the ball and you have a back who loves to run,but ....... I always thought it was a joke when #5 would drop back on 10 or so straight passes and THEN he does play action. Who the fuck are you fooling ? Andy, play action is for after you RUN the fucking ball 5-10 straight times.
                  We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                    I always thought it was a joke when #5 would drop back on 10 or so straight passes and THEN he does play action. Who the fuck are you fooling ? Andy, play action is for after you RUN the fucking ball 5-10 straight times.
                    But, but, but...Donnie sold the play action fake so convincingly! Only the cagiest of veteran LBs and Ss could resist biting on it.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                      But, but, but...Donnie sold the play action fake so convincingly! Only the cagiest of veteran LBs and Ss could resist biting on it.
                      I assume you are referring to the imfamous "fake to nobody".

Comment

I wish he had faked the QOTP more.
                        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

You'd think at some point in practice, Reid would've said, "Hey Donnie, listen, when we have an empty backfield, you don't need to fake the handoff... there's... listen... there's nobody there. The defense already knows that."

Comment

OMG, that used to drive me crazy.

And there were plenty of other times when there was someone in the backfield but the RB would be 5 yards from the fake. Are you really faking anyone when the fake isn't anywhere near another player?

Comment

Don't you see? That was the genius of McNabb! It could very well be the signature play shown when he's inducted into 'The HOF'.

Defenders said to themselves, 'Nobody could be that fucking stupid to fake a hand off when there are no running backs behind him! He must be setting us up.'

He blew their minds totally. One LBer even wound up in therapy.

Comment

Working...
                              X