My Thoughts on Tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
    IMO, Skins having a pretty good draft so far. They get 2 potential impact players in QB Haskins (#15) and DE Sweat (#26).
    Haskins is not an impact player. This was not a good QB year. I like Sweat a lot. He is a solid pick but has a ton to learn
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
      Love it! I don't think it was their plan coming into the day. He fell and they pounced
      Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
      Love it! I don't think it was their plan coming into the day. He fell and they pounced
      Bingo Dawk

Howie Roseman says Andre Dillard was a top 10 player on the Eagles’ draft board
      Philly’s front office is very happy with their selection.
      By Alexis Chassen@Lovelybuckeye Apr 25, 2019, 11:40pm EDT

After the Eagles made the trade up to No. 22 to take offensive tackle Andre Dillard, Howie Roseman, Doug Pederson and Joe Douglas spoke to the media about the evaluation process and what the rookie will bring to the table.

Howie said that Andre Dillard was a Top 10 pick in their eyes, and put him as the top tackle in the draft according to their evaluations. He noted that this was not how they thought things would work out, but when he was still available they had to make the move.

“When he started to fall we just saw an opportunity to get a Top 10 player. When you have a Top 10 player at an important position, it doesn’t matter about the depth on our team, we’re trying to load up on the lines.”

On what specifically they liked about Dillard:

“He’s got great feet, and really, really smooth pass protector, long arms, big hands, great character. You can see a lot of things we do offensively, at the same time he’s got a lot of room to grow, he hasn’t hit his ceiling.”

Howie went on to talk about what the process was for them as they saw Dillard start to slide, and he noted that it was important for them to protect the two second round picks (No. 53 and 57). He later said that they actually tried to jump Baltimore on the board, but they couldn’t come to an agreement, so it kind of worked out that way that they were able to get the OT at No. 22.

Pederson was asked if he was nudging Howie to add some protection for Carson Wentz, and the head coach called Dillard a special player and has a really good opportunity to develop under Jason Peters and with offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland. He said that as Dillard kept dropping and they were getting closer, the conversations picked up, but that they are really excited to get him in the building and get to work.

The head coach wouldn’t talk about exactly where they see him lining up on the offensive line. Rather, Pederson emphasized that right now they just see him as a guy who can come in and learn, whether they keep him at tackle or move him inside to guard for the time being.

Joe Douglas was then asked about the process of scouting Dillard, and he noted that one of their lead scouts lives pretty close to Washington State and he did a great job getting to know the player. Douglas talked about how they also had a really good opportunity to get to know him during their Senior Bowl interview.

Howie then talked about Stoutland’s take on Dillard, and the GM noted that Stoutland gets very passionate about certain guys and when he talks about Dillard’s lower body flexibility, his excitement level raises. Stoutland talks about guys who are unusual and that’s what the coach used to describe Dillard — he’s not a normal athlete, and he’s excited.

Roseman also noted that they liked the depth at offensive line they had before Thursday’s pick, but finding big men with quick feet is difficult, and they were happy to add even more depth at the position.

The GM also wasn’t concerned with Dillard being a bit older than some of the other prospects (turns 24 in October), noting that he still hasn’t hit his ceiling, which is something they evaluate when looking at ages. They’re very happy with how smart he is and how eager he is to be coached — especially in the run game — and know they can really develop him.

Roseman said he wasn’t aware of the report that the Eagles were close to a trade with the Dolphins at No. 13 for Christian Wilkins, and that the trade they got was the one they were working on. (Sure.) He also said that re-signing Timmy Jernigan didn’t affect them not taking a defensive lineman, and they just wanted to get one of the top players on their board.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Dawk just missed his trade up too

NFL DRAFT
        Report: Eagles and Dolphins agreed to trade for No. 13 pick but Miami backed out
        Welp.
        By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Apr 25, 2019, 10:05pm EDT

Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images
        The Philadelphia Eagles were poised to trade up for the No. 13 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft and select Clemson defensive tackle Christian Wilkins, according to a report from Bleeding Green Nation’s Benjamin Solak.

Benjamin Solak
        @BenjaminSolak
        Source: Eagles are trading up for Clemson DT Christian Wilkins

9:41 PM - Apr 25, 2019
        Twitter Ads info and privacy
        224 people are talking about this
        But it didn’t happen. Miami reportedly backed out at the last second and decided to take Wilkins for themselves instead.

Benjamin Solak
        @BenjaminSolak
        Replying to @BenjaminSolak
        Eagles and Dolphins were in talks and a trade was agreed upon, per source. Dolphins decided to take the player themselves last second.

9:46 PM - Apr 25, 2019
        Twitter Ads info and privacy
        138 people are talking about this
        That’s a bummer. Wilkins would’ve been a great fit for the Eagles, even with Philadelphia re-signing Tim Jernigan to a one-year deal earlier on Thursday. The quartet of Fletcher Cox, Malik Jackson, Jernigan, and Wilkins would’ve made for the best group of defensive tackles in the entire NFL.

With the Eagles missing out on Wilkins, it’ll be interesting to see what they do now. Do they still try to trade up? Do they take a defensive tackle like Jeffery Simmons, Dexter Lawrence, or Jerry Tillery? Or do they go with Marquise Brown, as previously rumored?

Comment

Wilkins going 13 made me cringe, he was one guy I really thought would help make our defense other worldly
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
            Wilkins going 13 made me cringe, he was one guy I really thought would help make our defense other worldly
            Don't worry there MM. Jernigan turned our defense around at the end of the year so I don't think that there is a worry about him being healthy.

Comment

Watching the draft with EB last night that after they moved up that the pick would be RB Josh Jacobs since EVERYBODY knew that Chuckie and Mayock wanted him at #24. BUT since the goal was to protect Wentz, I understand the reasoning to take Dillard. Can't disagree with the pick, just surprised they took Dillard over Jacobs.
              Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Originally posted by j-bird View Post
                Watching the draft with EB last night that after they moved up that the pick would be RB Josh Jacobs since EVERYBODY knew that Chuckie and Mayock wanted him at #24. BUT since the goal was to protect Wentz, I understand the reasoning to take Dillard. Can't disagree with the pick, just surprised they took Dillard over Jacobs.
                I'm really hoping that we get Henderson J. Combine him with Howard and Clement and all of a sudden the backfield looks formidable.

Comment

Or the kid from Iowa St Popper, David Montgomery. We've got 2 picks in the 2nd rd, we need a solid RB. If not Montgomery, I like Sanders from Penn St.
                  Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                    Don't worry there MM. Jernigan turned our defense around at the end of the year so I don't think that there is a worry about him being healthy.
                    I think the kid is going to be Donaldish though. He would have paired well with Cox
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

It almost surely won't happen. But, I would love to see Chase Winovich slip to our #53 2nd round pick. This guy is a swing DE/OLB and I think he could be an amazing OLB for us.

The remaining linebackers really suck. But, there are still a huge number of highly graded CB and S out there. I would like to see us get one of them with one of our 2nd round picks. Its not really a position of need. But, there are 8 CB's and 4 safety's still left graded 80 or better. There are zero LB's graded 80 or better left on the board.

For our 4th and 5th round picks, I would love to see these 2 players fall to us:

WR Jalen Hurd - Tall with great hands to replace Aggy

RB Devin Singletary - I have seen him play in person several times. His nickname is "motor" and the dude just doesn't go down. He is short and stocky and perfect especially for short yardage situations. But, he can also break them. I have never see a guy have so many broken tackles.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
                        It almost surely won't happen. But, I would love to see Chase Winovich slip to our #53 2nd round pick. This guy is a swing DE/OLB and I think he could be an amazing OLB for us.

The remaining linebackers really suck. But, there are still a huge number of highly graded CB and S out there. I would like to see us get one of them with one of our 2nd round picks. Its not really a position of need. But, there are 8 CB's and 4 safety's still left graded 80 or better. There are zero LB's graded 80 or better left on the board.

For our 4th and 5th round picks, I would love to see these 2 players fall to us:

WR Jalen Hurd - Tall with great hands to replace Aggy

RB Devin Singletary - I have seen him play in person several times. His nickname is "motor" and the dude just doesn't go down. He is short and stocky and perfect especially for short yardage situations. But, he can also break them. I have never see a guy have so many broken tackles.
                        The Steelers sure didn't mess around moving up 10 places to grab Devon Bush! Stud!!

Comment

Originally posted by j-bird View Post
                          It was a bit of a let down. But, after digesting it a bit, it makes sense. Especially if they had Dillard in the top 10 on their board. That would definitely make him the BPA, and also fill a huge need going forward. We just need to hope the kid is as good as they think he is. I don't want to spend the next 10 years saying, "shit, they should have taken Josh Jacobs." I still haven't gotten over them taking LJ Smith over Witten.

Comment

Working...
                          X