• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanos and Goodell eating crow?

Chargers struggling mightily in LA

Oct
    10/17/2018 11:15:59 AM
    |More
    The viability of the Chargers in Los Angeles will be a "major discussion topic among NFL owners and executives at this week’s league meetings" according to Seth Wickersham of ESPN.

As ESPN's Adam Schefter notes, it's a "troubling issue" for the league. The Chargers' PSL (personal seat license) sales have been a real struggle, and Wickersham says the team is expected to revise its Inglewood revenue goals sharply to a more realistic number of $150 million from initially setting it at $400 million. The Chargers are a team without a home as the Rams have cornered the L.A. market, and the Bolts are the stepson to the city. They don't even have a home field advantage in the soccer stadium they temporarily call home in LA, as the opposing team's colors seem to dominate in the stands on a weekly basis. There were whispers last year of the NFL considering moving the Chargers back to San Diego. It should be done, but it would be a total admittance of failure by Roger Goodell and his billionaire friends.

There is also the question of whether the fans in San Diego would welcome back owner Dean Spanos after he so publicly jilted them.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I might be a hillbilly but how in the world did anyone believe that would work in LA. I know two NY teams call NJ home and half ass succeed but there is a world of difference between NY and LA where football is concerned. Hell, LA is hard pressed to get one team to work let alone two. Any egg on anyone's face is well deserved in this case
    Oh, and the Chargers will end up being a team looking for a home because SD was not happy with the departure. Maybe they need to see if Oakland wants a team again lol
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

LOL at Spanos and Goddell.

There was a reason the Rams bolted for St. Louis years ago. I gotta agree with NoDak as another hillbilly who wonders how anyone thought the fickle LA market would support the Chargers. Stupid move.

Comment

IMO, this move was ill-conceived, especially in light of the Rams doing the same thing. The difference to me is that the Rams at least have an historical attachment to L.A. where the Chargers have none. Additionally, should the Chargers ultimately decide to move back to San Diego, winning over their fanbase will prove an uphill battle.

I guess it would be like a cheating husband trying to win his wife's trust again, LOL!

Comment

since about half the football fans in LA are Raiders fans, the logical thing to do would have been to move the Raiders to LA and the Chargers to Vegas. But what do I know?

Comment

What a cluster. The chargers have a pretty good history and some great players. It is sad to see that franchise be so rudderless. Fouts, Chandler, Joiner, Muncie & Winslow were awesome to watch. I remember that overtime game vs Miami where Winslow was even blocking kicks. One of the greatest individual performances I've seen in the NFL ever. I haven't even mentioned LT.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
              What a cluster. The chargers have a pretty good history and some great players. It is sad to see that franchise be so rudderless. Fouts, Chandler, Joiner, Muncie & Winslow were awesome to watch. I remember that overtime game vs Miami where Winslow was even blocking kicks. One of the greatest individual performances I've seen in the NFL ever. I haven't even mentioned LT.
              What an offense that was!!! Unstoppable really. The only reason they never won it all was that they couldn't stop anybody either! Don Coryell was just to loyal to that stiff DC of his and it cost them a SB or 2. I remember Winslow getting carried/dragged off the field at the end of that Miami game-incredible! Sadly you never really hear about the great ones anymore.

Comment

His skill and determination on the field was unparalleled, but let's not forget Kellen Winslow's greatest
                accomplishment may have taken place at home ...raising a 'Fucking Soldier'.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
                  His skill and determination on the field was unparalleled, but let's not forget Kellen Winslow's greatest
                  accomplishment may have taken place at home ...raising a 'Fucking Soldier'.
                  Amazing how some great people raise such dirtbag kids. Jerry Remy's kid is another example but at least Winslow's kid hasn't killed anybody -yet anyway.

Comment

um, what Winslow jr has allegedly done is pretty horrific.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
                      um, what Winslow jr has allegedly done is pretty horrific.
                      About as close as you can get and sometimes you could argue worse!

Comment

Each owner got $20M for the Chargers move, $20M for the Rams move and $12.2M for the Raiders. As far as Goodell is concerned, he made an extra $52M per owner. As for Spanos- the voters shot down every tax to build a new stadium for the Chargers for 15 years, he had no choice but to move.

No one could have foreseen McVey being able to turn Fischer’s train wreck into a SB contender in three years.

It totally derailed the Chargers credibility.

Plus- Rivers is not a ticket draw.

Comment

Working...
                        X