OT: Question on Tipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Question on Tipping

There's a bar near my house that my wife and I order take-out from fairly often. 95% of the time I'll call in the order from my house then drive down to pick it up. I always have to wait a few minutes while they put it together and I usually just sit there and wait for the food and pass on having a beer while I wait. Then they bring out the bill and there's the subtotal with a very large are that says "Tip". It always feels like I'm expected to leave a tip. Since it's usually the bartender or waitress that takes the order and brings out the food, tipping them is almost a mindless reflex. But when I order from a pizza place and pick it up I don't tip the cashier so why should I feel like I have to tip at the bar if I'm just picking up take out?

What do you guys do when you order take out from the bar? And don't tell me to drink a beer while I wait - unfortunately that's not usually an option!!
    ...always leave a tip
    0.00%
    ...usually leave a tip
    100.00%
    ...sometimes leave a tip
    0.00%
    ...rarely leave a tip
    0.00%
    ...never leave a tip
    0.00%
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Take out rarely deserves a tip.
    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

You may tip the bartender for the beer (and if they are making you wait you might be off the hook for even the beer)-- but you should not tip for take out food. It's like those jars next to cashiers at many walk up places--- they are scams, IMO. (maybe scam is too harsh, but you get my drift)

You should tip for service and service only or if somebody works really hard on your behalf(delivery guys) or goes out of their way to do something they wouldn't normally do.

Comment

Must tip:

Waiters/Waitresses/Bartender
        Valet parking guy
        Pizza/food delivery guy
        Cab driver
        Airport skycap
        Car wash guy
        Hotel maid
        Nightclub bouncer (if given preferential treatment)

All others at your discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by SwingOnThis
          Must tip:

And there is the problem. The bartender or waitress is taking the order and bringing out the food but it's take out so does that count?

The general consensus is no to take out tipping - good idea!!
          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin
            Must tip:

And there is the problem. The bartender or waitress is taking the order and bringing out the food but it's take out so does that count?

The general consensus is no to take out tipping - good idea!!
            When bartenders and waitresses are performing their typical duties, you tip them. When they're taking boxes of food and putting them in a bag, no tip. Look at it this way, if you have to drive to the place to pick up, rather than have it delivered, then no tip.

Comment

Do you tip the guy at McDonalds? It's the same type of service.

Comment

Must tip:

Valet parking guy
                Pizza/food delivery guy
                Cab driver
                Airport skycap
                Car wash guy
                Hotel maid

I think your list is pretty accurate, Swing, although I would throw barber/hairstylist on there as well.

Speaking as someone who coordinated takeout for a bar and grill for a couple years after college - we don't really expect tips, but a little something every now and then is always nice. If you're a regular, it will definitely get you better service/occasional free stuff in the long term.
                The definition of insanity is to continually repeat the same action and expect different results.

Thus the Redskins and their fans are, by definition, insane.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleIggle
                  Must tip:

Valet parking guy
                  Pizza/food delivery guy
                  Cab driver
                  Airport skycap
                  Car wash guy
                  Hotel maid

I think your list is pretty accurate, Swing, although I would throw barber/hairstylist on there as well.

Speaking as someone who coordinated takeout for a bar and grill for a couple years after college - we don't really expect tips, but a little something every now and then is always nice. If you're a regular, it will definitely get you better service/occasional free stuff in the long term.
                  Totally agree with that part. You don't tip on a routine basis but once in a while, given them a tenner would help.

What about whores? Do you tip whores?

Comment

I give the people at Hair Cuttery a $7 tip on a $13 haircut...because...well because they cut hair for a living and that's why...always give em a $20.
                    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                    Playoff Appearances:
                    NFC Title Games:
                    Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

I usually leave a nominal tip when I get takeout food from any establishment which is not primarily a takeout or fast food joint.

I tip barbers UNLESS they own the shop, in which case they are geting the entire price of the cut.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno

I tip barbers UNLESS they own the shop, in which case they are geting the entire price of the cut.
                        Yes, that's right.. that's part of the rules. You don't have to tip the owner of most establishments.

i never what to do about delivery people. thank god Safeway (our genaurdis) has a no tipping rule for deliveries.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
                          I give the people at Hair Cuttery a $7 tip on a $13 haircut...because...well because they cut hair for a living and that's why...always give em a $20.
                          And that is why they call you BIG Philly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

BIG PIMPIN AT THE HAIR CUTTERY - WHAT?
                            Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                            Playoff Appearances:
                            NFC Title Games:
                            Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
                              You da man

I've done that but usually I give a $5 tip and the cut is usually $16.00.
                              I've thought of upping it but even if I get a bad cut I leave the fin.

I've recently found someone I consider good with my hair after 2years of randomness here in Houston and think I may up it to $6 but $ 7 would be over the top.

By the way what is normal? (and then we could end this gay conversation)

Comment

Working...
                              X