• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is gonna be nerve racking......

No Distractions For Dawkins

June 6, 2006
    By SHANE EVANS

With the season fast approaching, free safety Brian Dawkins has one thing on his mind - excitement. At this stage of the off-season, many players are just getting into football shape. Dawkins, however, is ready to go.
    "When you're having a good time and you're excited to come to work, and not just because it's your job," said Dawkins at his press conference Tuesday.

FS Brian Dawkins and QB Donovan McNabb
    "When you're generally excited to come to work and are excited to play that next opponent because of the camaraderie you have in the locker room. You love the competition you have on the practice field, those are the things you cherish about playing football, and I know I do."

Being one of the most electrifying players in the NFL, Dawkins demands the respect and attention of his peers, but most importantly, he has it from his teammates and he is ready to go forward with this season and last year's 6-10 season behind him.

"If you watch the film that I watch from my personal play last year, you'll see things I need to improve on, that I made too many mistakes last year," said Dawkins. "I'm gearing up to get the season going. I'm knocking some of the rust off. I'm making sure that when the July camp comes, I'm pretty much ready to go at that time and I'm just getting used to the pads again."

Looking to his future, Dawkins is in the final year of his contract and decisions will have to be made about his future as an Eagle. But being the type of player he is, Dawkins guaranteed the media that contract talks wouldn't affect his season and if his play improved any it will not be because it's his contract year.

"First of all, it's always going to be in the back of your mind. You always want to get a deal done, that'll always be there in your mind," said Dawkins. "To say that a guy doesn't think about it, that wouldn't be honest."

"When it bothers you, when it prohibits you from doing what you do on the field, that's when it becomes a problem. But that's not going to happen with me. I'm going to go out and play my brand of ball, whether it's my contract year or my first year after a contract, I'm going to try my best to give everything I have, regardless of the situation."

The Eagles know Dawkins will give it his all on every snap he is on the field for this season, and that's one of the main reasons why he is the team leader on defense. Another reason is that he can't wait to get on the field and start proving that the disappointment of last season was simply an anomaly.

With roughly seven weeks left until training camp, Dawkins and the rest of the veterans will have plenty of time to get geared up for what looks to be an exciting '06 campaign.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

The nerve racking part is gonna be ME, waiting to hear that a contract extension has been reached.

I'll tell you this right now, if by some means the Eagles don't resign this man, I will use every curse word I know, have heard or dreamed about in describing the Eagles FO. Clear enough?

I honestly don't know why they won't just go ahead and get this taken care of before the season gets here. It's certainly not for lack of CAP space. And uhhhh, if we can keep roster spots for guys like Mahe and Detmer, I think we can afford holding one for Dawk for a few years even if he DOES start to slip a bit.

Got money, got roster space, got a LEADER who wants to finish his career here....do the damned deal, dude!
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
    X