(OT) A sad note today from Arizona.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (OT) A sad note today from Arizona.

John McCain's family today announced he has ended treatment for his aggressive brain cancer. Most of us have had personal experience with loved ones who faced the existential question weighing the possible benefits of continuing invasive treatment vs the ravages of that treatment on the quality of life in the days and weeks remaining in life.

This outcome was probably predictable but, despite the fact I've never met him and often disagreed with his policy decisions, I always admired him and am saddened. Like all of us, John McCain is not a perfect man but, IMO, he is a man who commands our respect and deserves the deep gratitude of the nation he so unselfishly served. A man, who as a US Senator. often did what he believed was right for his country even if it was not in lock step with his party.

We all know the story of Navy Pilot McCain being shot down over North Vietnam. Seriously injured, after being captured he received inadequate medical treatment which resulted in his never regaining functional use of his right arm. He spent 5 1/2 year in a prison camp where he was frequently subjected to physical and mental mistreatment. He refused to be released earlier than his fellow prisoners...a plumb offered McCain because his father was a top Naval Admiral. How many of us would have exhibited such grace?

May his remaining days with his friends and family be filed with shared memories, laughter and loving tears.

What a fine man he is and such a terrible loss he will be for our country. Hero is a term that gets thrown around a little to much in the news these days in my opinion but John McCain is the true definition of the word.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

60 I agree that we throw around the term hero too loosely. Far too loosely. I don't know if John McCain was a hero or not but I can't believe there is anyone that can not respect the fact that he spent all that time as a POW and that he didn't use his position to get released. That he continued to serve his country in the Senate, whether you agree or disagree with his politics, has to be admired. There are many who sat in the Senate that I believe did it strictly for their personal gain or power but I believe he did it out of patriotism for his country and I think you would have to search very hard to find a vote where he voted for his party rather than his conscience. His service to his country is on par with anyone IMO
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
        John McCain's family today announced he has ended treatment for his aggressive brain cancer. Most of us have had personal experience with loved ones who faced the existential question weighing the possible benefits of continuing invasive treatment vs the ravages of that treatment on the quality of life in the days and weeks remaining in life.

This outcome was probably predictable but, despite the fact I've never met him and often disagreed with his policy decisions, I always admired him and am saddened. Like all of us, John McCain is not a perfect man but, IMO, he is a man who commands our respect and deserves the deep gratitude of the nation he so unselfishly served. A man, who as a US Senator. often did what he believed was right for his country even if it was not in lock step with his party.

We all know the story of Navy Pilot McCain being shot down over North Vietnam. Seriously injured, after being captured he received inadequate medical treatment which resulted in his never regaining functional use of his right arm. He spent 5 1/2 year in a prison camp where he was frequently subjected to physical and mental mistreatment. He refused to be released earlier than his fellow prisoners...a plumb offered McCain because his father was a top Naval Admiral. How many of us would have exhibited such grace?

May his remaining days with his friends and family be filed with shared memories, laughter and loving tears.
        I agree 100% with this. I have always admired him even when I have disagreed with his politics. I hope his last days are free of pain and filled with joy.
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Wow, just that fast he is gone. Rest In Peace Senator.

http://www2.philly.com/philly/news/n...-20180825.html
          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Well that makes for a sad day for the McCain family and really for the country. As I said previously I don't know if he was a hero but his service to the country is equal to any. Many could use a dose of his willingness to do the right thing
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

And now he is gone...all too quickly. This is a very, very sad day for all of us.

John McCain was many things worthy of admiration but above all he was a genuine patriot in the true sense of the word.
              He REALLY loved his country and often rose above petty politics to serve it.

He will be deeply missed. May he rest in peace.

Comment

The Guy was Truly an American Hero & will truly be missed.
                R.I.P. John McCain.
                Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Working...
                X