The Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Off Season

Well the first shoe dropped and Kapler is gone. Not sure if that gets to the heart of the problem though. However, I do think he was ineffective in getting guys to work. So do you think anyone other than Middleton has much say in the replacement?
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Seems after that crazy press conference that Middleton is certainly heavy handed in the process. While Klentak is "leading the process" for a new manager, it feels like it will be Middleton's pick. If that pick ends up as Girardi, I'm good with it.

Comment

I like the hiring of Price as the pitching coach and getting Long (asst. hitting coach for Washington) would be my preference.

Salisbury is saying the Phils will try to go big on an ace with Gerritt Cole or Strasburg. Also Hamels is on the radar. They need two pitchers for the rotation. I don't think Gerritt Cole will make it to us with his west coast preference. Strasburg would be nice but I'm thinking a Zach Wheeler is more attainable. Hamels would be a nice 3/4 starter too.

Comment

Good to hear from you stevemc. From the noise it sounds as if the Phils are gonna be in it this off season. I've read about Cole but IMM he is a long shot as you indicate. From what I've read I think it will take money and a real good presentation to get him to come to Philly rather than the west coast. I think they will get two starters but I don't think they will be the top guys. Strasburg/Hamels would be a big grab in my mind.
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

I seriouisly doubt Strasberg leaves DC.

Comment

Nationals won't be able to afford both Strasburg AND Rendon in my opinion and they absolutely can't let Rendon walk.

Comment

Welp - they did let Rendon walk.

Wheeler is a nice get for the Phils. Gregorius is a Girardi guy so getting him on a one year deal and swapping out for Hernandez is "OK" in my book.

Unfortunately they are only $6MM under the luxury tax and apparently done shopping. They still seem like a 3rd place team to me.

Comment

Welp - they did let Rendon walk.

Wheeler is a nice get for the Phils. Gregorius is a Girardi guy so getting him on a one year deal and swapping out for Hernandez is "OK" in my book.

Unfortunately they are only $6MM under the luxury tax and apparently done shopping. They still seem like a 3rd place team to me.

Comment

Some of these dollar figures are insane but that appears to be the going rate. Not sure the Phils ever were in the Rendon running if they had any idea of the cost. Have to agree with you how they feel like a third place team. Myself, I'm not sure Gregorius is any more than Hernandez but he is a Girardi guy. What is that going to do to Segura?
                  Reality IMM is that unless some of the people they spent money on last year step up their game next year the results will be the same. That includes Hoskins. Atl/Wash both made solid moves and I am not sure the Phils did-- although Giradi may be worth a few more wins.
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

Segura will move to 2B supposedly with Kingery at 3B

Hoskins is key and hopefully a healthy McCutchen

Comment

I'm not nearly as read up or close to the team as you are so I appreciate reading your take. Off the top I would say I am not terribly comfortable with Hoskins/Segura/G/and Kingery but maybe they will have the chemistry to succeed. Certainly Hoskins' performance in the field and at bat really needs to come through next year. Forgot about Mac C. Be nice to see him come back and be the player he was early last year.
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

Working...
                      X