Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madson to be the 8th Inning Guy

\/

While a no brainer, IMO, I like the move. He is very talented and the starting pitcher job wasn't really his forte.

I'd like to see him groomed as a closer. Do you think he has the heat for that?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... ordon.html
    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

You don't need to have over bearing heat to be a closer (see Todd freakin' Jones). Madson has that change-up which is a talent that suits well for a closer. I think he has the stuff plus a rubber arm for his size.

Only problem is that I think he'll be asked to close at some point this year because Gordon won't hold up. When that happens, a thin bullpen will be even thinner. They need to either promote a Bisenius or go get someone.

They are looking at a guy, Rosario, from the Blue Jays but so are others.

Dan Miceli has been cut by the D-Rays. He's a journeyman but might be an OK pickup as well.

Comment

I think the crafty Gillick will get us some relief help. Oddly - I think Garcia will be on the DL most of this year and Lieber will be a starter.

Then we'll trade Bourn or Golson for a middle reliever that can close from a non contending team.

We'll see.

I'm pumped. This team looks fun on paper.
      Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
      Playoff Appearances:
      NFC Title Games:
      Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Trevor Hoffman has made a (close to?) Hall of Fame career off of using a changeup as a closer. If Madson could be anything at all similar, I'd have no problems with that.

If Cincinnati falls out early, Dustin Hermanson could be an intriguing pickup.

Comment

Good point 7 minute abs.

I like Mad-Dog. I'm hoping Matt Smith continues to develop. My co-worker is a Yanks diehard and he said he's money.
          Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
          Playoff Appearances:
          NFC Title Games:
          Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

abstract - I was clamoring for them to sign Dustin Hermanson 45 days ago. He is now going to play a significant role in their pen. He also has led to the availability of Frenchie (aka Cormier).

Sad to say but if it's only $ and not a lot to give up for him - I'd take him back!

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
              Good point 7 minute abs.

I like Mad-Dog. I'm hoping Matt Smith continues to develop. My co-worker is a Yanks diehard and he said he's money.
              Interestingly enough - the bag of balls that everyone said we got in the Abreu deal is starting to pay some dividends. CJ Henry isn't as bad as reported. Monasterios and Sanchez may develop and Matt Smith could be a gem for the pen.

Comment

I was reading that Stanton will start off as the Reds closer (at least, I hope so, I need another closer in fantasy baseball until Gagne comes off of the dl). Hermanson sounded like he would be good to go shortly.

I always thought that CJ Henry got a bad rap when he was traded here. The kid is so young that you really don't know what you have in the least. He deserved a shot before getting hammered. Also, I think that the move to 3B may help him as well.

As for Cormier, well, he's a player that always seemed to prove that bullpen consistency really is a year to year thing.

Comment

vomit.
                  Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                  Playoff Appearances:
                  NFC Title Games:
                  Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Madson not so good as 10th inning guy...

Comment

Working...
                    X