Kevin Kolb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin Kolb

Of course, it is impossible to judge a player accurately on the basis of one game, but after watching Kevin Kolb for the first time, I have to say that Andy, Heckert et al knew what they were doing when they drafted Kolb in the second round.

Kolb demonstrated remarkable poise in his first assignment - more so than many first round QB's. He also appeared to make all the right reads, reacted superbly to enormous pressure, made lightning fast decisions, and got rid of the ball quickly. His passes also appeared to be delivered accurately with a very catchable tight spiral. There were many inexcusable drops by his receivers.

Granted, he worked against the second and third-string defenses. Still, Kolb showed enough on Monday night to indicate that he definitely has the potential to be our starting QB in the future. Certainly, he proved to be worthy of a second round pick. With Andy's past record of coaching up QB's, I think Kevin Kolb will develop into a really good player. It will be fun to watch Kolb's growth.

I take back all the things I said immediately after they announced our first selection in this year's draft.
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Re: Kevin Kolb

I too liked what i saw out of Kolb. Poise, accuracy, decision making, arm strength - all looked good.

Comment

Kolb is good, no question about it. looks like the perfect guy to run a WCO to me. Great pick. The future of the organization looks like it's in good hands.
      Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge
        Granted, he worked against the second and third-string defenses.
        You sir are absolutely correct. I would point out also that while he did work against their second and third string defenses, he did so behind and with our third and fourth string OL and WRs. All in all a very good start for the young man, Heckert/Licht call one right again.

Comment

I think Kolb did a fine job, all things considered, but don't you think he should throw at least one touchdown pass before we start annointing the young man, and congratulating Heckert, etc.

I have high hopes, and was impressed, but also was very disappointed that he did not manufacture any points.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBird
            I think Kolb did a fine job, all things considered, but don't you think he should throw at least one touchdown pass before we start annointing the young man, and congratulating Heckert, etc.

I have high hopes, and was impressed, but also was very disappointed that he did not manufacture any points.
            Agreed. It's a good start, but like the final score, it doesn't mean a whole lot at this point. But - UNlike the final score - it was good to see.

Comment

Thank you, Billybird.

As much as it's wrong to jude a guy a bust after such limited performance, it's wrong to judge a guy a good pick, and CERTAINLY wrong to annoint him the future of the organization after one ho-hum performance. Geez, some of you guys are just dying to heap praise the the FO's feet. LOL!
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                Thank you, Billybird.

As much as it's wrong to jude a guy a bust after such limited performance, it's wrong to judge a guy a good pick, and CERTAINLY wrong to annoint him the future of the organization after one ho-hum performance. Geez, some of you guys are just dying to heap praise the the FO's feet. LOL!
                No that's not it at all. Need I run quotes from the posts about him made after he was drafted? Need we NOT recognize that the kid showed a ton of aplomb under fire with the dregs of our lineup, under postseason type game planning from the Ravens and came through with a very good performance despite all the dropped balls? Sure he has a looooong waaaay to go but he also has several years to get there. What he showed were some basic skills that verify Reid/Heckert/LIcht in their evaluation of him as a talented young kid worth drafting and developing. Nothing more.........yet. :P

Comment

Just trying to hold my enthusiasm here, Dutch. I was pretty damned impressed with what I saw as well. The cast around him stunk, but if you isolate on Kolb.......VERY encouraging.
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I, of course, agree with the Dutchman.

I think I prefaced my appraisal properly by saying that it is too soon to say whether Kolb will completely pan out. I also said that he showed "potential."

I don't think I have ever been accused of being an "Apologist." I try to maintain a balance between being an "Apologist" and a "Negative Nitwit." I try to see the strengths and the weaknesses.

I guess what I was trying to say is that with Kolb's performance on Monday night we got a glimpse of what Reid, Heckert, et al saw in him and why they may have stretched a little bit in drafting him so early (at least it seemed early back in April). They took a lot of heat for the selection both here and in the press. It now appears that they somewhat knew what they were doing, and we shouldn't have bitched so much.
                    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                      Thank you, Billybird.

[cough]Sav Rocca[/cough]

:P
                      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

touche.........

Comment

Working...
                        X