Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 05-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #21
YourPalChrisMal 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

YourPalChrisMal is an unknown quantity at this point

More opinion on Burress in Green...

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...laxico-burress

Why Would The Eagles Want Plaxico Burress?

Quote:
Like everyone, I read the story in the New York Post claiming the Eagles would be "first in line" to sign Plaxico Burress once he gets out of jail. The writer claims that "he's heard" the Eagles would be interested, but offers very little in terms of corroboration aside from the circumstantial type that seems to be driving this whole story.

You see, the Eagles once signed a player straight out of prison and it worked out well. Somehow, doing this once has led everyone to assume that this will be a trend for the Eagles and they'll be interested in every convict or malcontent in the NFL. Never mind that their 2011 draft class was filled with the squeakiest clean, high character guys available. They literally picked a choir boy.

They also are rumored to have interest in Nnamdi Asomugha, who is widely seen as one of the most charitable and high character guys in the game.
But because the Eagles signed Michael Vick, they must be interested in Plaxico Burress right? That's hard to see. First, let's see why they might want him and I don't think the fact that he's a reclamation project and the Eagles are some kind of charity is one. Michael Vick was a special case, not a rule.

He's an Eagle killer for one. The Giants haven't beat the Eagles since Burress was sent away. The Eagles always struggled with his size, particularly Sheldon Brown. That size is certainly something that the Eagles might have interest in as well. At 6-5 he would provide a big red zone target that the team doesn't have.

But the reasons why they might not have interest are a lot more compelling. For one, he's going to be 34. That might not be too old for a guy like Terrell Owens, who is a workout freak, but Burress was declining even before he went to prison. Then of course, the Eagles don't really have a need at WR. They've already got arguably the best young pair of starters the in the game. Jason Avant is a solid #3. They've got a promising young guy with size in Riley Cooper... There's no doubt that a guy like Burress in his prime would still be valuable here, but it's just tough to see where he'd fit at this moment.

Burress did something very stupid and dangerous but he paid dearly for it. If he can still play, he deserves another shot at the NFL... If prison does for him what it did for Michael Vick, that could be a great thing for his life, but I just don't see the reason why the Eagles would be the team "first in line" to sign him up.

That said, Michael Vick could see him in green.
"I think with the guys we have now, I think we can fit him in and we can make it work," Vick told WIP. "Obviously the ultimate goal at the end of the day is to put that ring on your finger at the end of the year."
YourPalChrisMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #22
YourPalChrisMal 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Per RotoWorld...

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ron Cook thinks it makes "perfect sense" for the Steelers to consider signing free agent Plaxico Burress this summer.

Burress will be released from jail this Friday, and then become an unrestricted free agent whenever the transactions freeze is lifted. At least going by the early buzz, it sounds like he will have a number of teams give him a look, but now 34 and nearly three years removed from football, it's far from a guarantee he'll end up generating much interest on the open market.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #23
ThoughtProcess
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

ThoughtProcess has disabled reputation

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-philadelphia/

Plax COULD (as in maybe) land in Philly (....and he could not!)
ThoughtProcess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:15 PM   #24
YourPalChrisMal 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/P...edskins-052611

Are Plaxico to Eagles rumors for real?

Quote:
Updated May 29, 2011 12:22 PM ET
With veteran NFL wide receiver Plaxico Burress set to be released from jail on June 6, could he eventually sign with the Philadelphia Eagles as has been rumored? We’ll address his future and more in this week’s post-draft email bag.

Question: Are the Eagles really interested in Plaxico Burress? — Jerry M.

Answer: Jerry, yes, I believe the Eagles are interested in the veteran wide receiver — specifically head coach/executive vice president Andy Reid, who makes the personnel decisions.

What you’re referring to is an article recently from the New York Daily News which mentions the teams that could be interested in Burress. The article also states that the Eagles will be the first in line to check him out once he’s released from jail.

From talking to personnel sources recently, one told me that Reid has always been impressed with Burress’ ability to beat coverage with his size and that he expects the Eagles to make a run at him once free agency starts.

And you can understand why the Eagles would be interested in Burress once you look at his history against them. The tall receiver tormented Eagles defensive backs over the years.

In his eight games (including one playoff game) against the Eagles as a New York Giant (2005-200, Burress posted 37 receptions, 650 yards and seven touchdowns (He has scored in each of his past four games against them). And five of those touchdowns came inside the red zone — where the Eagles struggled a bit scoring touchdowns via the air last season.

While the Eagles have decent depth at wide receiver, they finished 14th overall in touchdowns per red zone appearance in 2010 (according to Football Outsiders). Breaking the numbers down further, the Eagles’ top-five passing targets at wide receiver and tight end finished with 12 total red zone touchdowns (Jeremy Maclin: seven touchdowns on 17 passes; Brent Celek: two touchdowns on 12 passes; DeSean Jackson: one touchdown on 12 passes; Jason Avant: one touchdown on 17 targets; Riley Cooper: one touchdown on seven passes) on 65 total passes — an 18.5 touchdown conversion percentage.

As for his incarceration over the past two years, jail can humble a person — just ask Michael Vick. Burress knows, as Vick did when he was released from jail, that he’ll be on his last chance to prove himself.
At 34 (he turns that age on Aug. 12), Burress will have to show he can still play at a high level, considering he hasn’t played since the 2008 season.

He’ll have to work out for teams in order to show what kind of shape he’s in. Vick did not work out for the Eagles prior to his signing, but I can’t imagine them or any team taking that approach with a player from a speed position such as wide receiver.

I spoke to a high-level AFC decision-maker recently who said that Burress will likely yield a heavily incentive-based contract where he can make a lot more money based on productivity — meaning if he stays out of trouble and plays well, he stands to make a lot more money.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...laxico-burress

"Personnel sources" expect the Eagles to make a run at Plaxico Burress

Quote:
Initially, NY Daily News writer Gary Myers wrote that the Eagles will be "first in line" to sign Plaxico Burress when teams have the ability to do so. It was unclear whether or not Myers was just purely speculating on the Eagles interest, or if he actually was privy to some inside information. Well, this story just grew some stronger legs now that Adam Caplan has joined in. Per Caplan:
From talking to personnel sources recently, one told me that Reid has always been impressed with Burress’ ability to beat coverage with his size and that he expects the Eagles to make a run at him once free agency starts.
Caplan also threw out some interesting Eagles red zone stats:
While the Eagles have decent depth at wide receiver, they finished 14th overall in touchdowns per red zone appearance in 2010 (according to Football Outsiders). Breaking the numbers down further, the Eagles’ top-five passing targets at wide receiver and tight end finished with 12 total red zone touchdowns (Jeremy Maclin: seven touchdowns on 17 passes; Brent Celek: two touchdowns on 12 passes; DeSean Jackson: one touchdown on 12 passes; Jason Avant: one touchdown on 17 targets; Riley Cooper: one touchdown on seven passes) on 65 total passes — an 18.5 touchdown conversion percentage.
As for the cost:
I spoke to a high-level AFC decision-maker recently who said that Burress will likely yield a heavily incentive-based contract where he can make a lot more money based on productivity — meaning if he stays out of trouble and plays well, he stands to make a lot more money.
A week ago I weighed the pros and cons of bringing Plaxico Burress into the fold, and am already on the record as being all for this move, as long as the money is reasonable. I think it's time to put this to a vote.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #25
musicman
Hall of Famer

musicman is on a distinguished road

I'm not real eager to sign him,unless we sign him,cripple him in practice and never see or hear about his abilities vs the Eagles again. This works for me.
musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:27 AM   #26
Jukin 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Jukin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
I'm not real eager to sign him,unless we sign him,cripple him in practice and never see or hear about his abilities vs the Eagles again. This works for me.

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mike Willey
Jukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #27
Blitz
2011 Contributor
Pro Bowler

Blitz is on a distinguished road

I don't care who they sign as long as it leads to a SB victory. Vick is my most hated athlete. If I can deal with him on the Eagles I can deal with anyone.

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #28
YourPalChrisMal 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

http://phillysportsdaily.com/eagles/...se-for-eagles/

Miller: Signing Plaxico Burress Makes No Sense For Eagles
Quote:
In the wildest dreams of Eagles fans and of executives at HBO, the Eagles will sign Plaxico Burress as soon as he’s released from prison and will agree to be featured on HBO’s NFL reality show “Hard Knocks.”

We can all agree that it would be awesome viewing for fans, create tremendous story lines for columnists and talk radio hosts, and raise Eagle hysteria back to Defcon 5, i.e., T.O. level.

You can see it now. The HBO cameras whirring as Michael Vick and Plaxico provide running commentary while they watch” Shawshank Redemption.” Plax talks weaponry with hunters Kevin Kolb and Trent Cole. Andy Reid tries to shed a few pounds, Plax tries to put ‘em on.

It would be great for everybody — except for Burress and the Eagles. For the soon-to-be-ex-inmate and socially responsible local football team, it’d be close to a disaster. And that’s why none of it will happen.

The New York Daily News theorized over the weekend that the Eagles might be a prime landing spot for Burress, who’s due to be released from prison on June 6.

As you know, Burress has spent the last two years in jail after a very stupid incident in which he shot himself in the leg. And as you also know, he’s killed the Eagles over the years, so much so that once upon a time (actually, twice upon a time), they employed Hank Baskett as a poor man’s Plax.

Burress is a weapon that many teams would love to have. But the newspaper report’s rationale is pretty shaky — there doesn’t appear to be any reporting at all, just speculation that since they signed someone out of jail once before, they know how to make it work and they’ll do it again. But they also saw first-hand what a waste that first year was – fresh out of a year and a half at Leavenworth, Vick was a shadow of his former self; apparently, spending a couple years in an 8-by-10 cell is not a good way to stay in prime shape. And it’s not exactly health food they’re serving in there.

Burress, who’s 33-years-old, has reportedly lost 20 pounds since being sent up the river. The odds are heavily stacked against him being even close to productive in 2011 season, thanks to the combo of being locked up and locked out. He simply isn’t going to be in any semblance of football shape.

For Burress, he’d be compared play in and play out to Vick, and he would pale in comparison. For the Eagles, not only would Burress’ football contribution likely be minimal, but they’d be painting themselves into an odd position – they’d be portrayed as the NFL’s halfway house. They caught enough grief for signing Vick out of prison. If they signed Burress, they’d be revisiting all that turmoil. Nobody needs that big of a soap opera.

And “Hard Knocks”? The HBO show turned Rex Ryan and the Jets into a summer sensation. Fans across the country ate it up. And now, no team in the NFL wants to do it. The Jets say they won’t do it again. The Buccaneers have passed. The Falcons thought about it, but demurred. The Cowboys have said they’ll never do it again.

Nobody wants the spotlight, even a fun-loving guy like New York’s King Rex. Certainly, Andy Reid controls everything around his football team, and is never going to give up the level of control needed for the Eagles to participate.

As far as we know, the Eagles have never considered appearing on the show, but they are one of the league’s marquee teams with the lightning rod that is Vick, so you know HBO has asked, or will ask. But the answer will be “no.”

Which will be a shame when we’re all looking for some summer viewing. But it might be a good thing for the Eagles ‘round about playoff time.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #29
leifdawg
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

leifdawg is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to leifdawg

It makes sense from the point of view that when Plax went away he was arguably the best in the league at doing what was by far the Eagles biggest offensive weakness the past few years.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:57 PM   #30
Eaglebreath
Pro Bowler

Eaglebreath has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by leifdawg View Post
It makes sense from the point of view that when Plax went away he was arguably the best in the league at doing what was by far the Eagles biggest offensive weakness the past few years.
Exactly. They need a difference maker in the redzone passing game.
Eaglebreath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burress , plaxico