X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chip strikes again

Sources: QB Tim Tebow to join Eagles

Adam Schefter, NFL

Tim Tebow plans to sign a one-year deal Monday with the Eagles, a league source said Sunday night.

Tim Tebow spent the past season working as a college football analyst for ESPN's SEC Network. Phil Ellsworth/ESPN Images

Tebow is scheduled to arrive in Philadelphia in time to be in attendance for the start of the Eagles' offseason program Monday.

Philadelphia has finalized an agreement with the 27-year-old Tebow, the framework of which was put into place when he worked out for the team last month.

Before signing Tebow, the Eagles first wanted to try to trade backup quarterback Matt Barkley. But when the team could not get enough in return, it decided to bring in Tebow anyway so that he could be present for the team's entire off-season program.

Tebow now will join a crowded Eagles' quarterback roster that includes Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez and Barkley, giving Philadelphia three former first-round picks at the quarterback position in addition to another decorated college player. And it also will reunite Tebow and Sanchez, who were teammates with the New York Jets.

Football's most interesting team this offseason, the Eagles, just got even more interesting -- if that were possible. Tebow now will attempt to jumpstart an NFL career that has been on hold since he played his last NFL game in 2012. Since then, Tebow continued to train for two full seasons with the noted throwing coach, Tom House, who also has worked with New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

Tebow, who has been working for ESPN and as an analyst for the SEC Network, last played in an NFL regular-season game when he was with the Jets after playing two seasons with the Denver Broncos.

Tebow went to training camp with the Patriots before being released in August 2013. He struggled to find consistency with the Patriots, completing 11 of 30 passes for 145 yards and two touchdowns and two interceptions in three preseason games.

"I will remain in relentless pursuit of continuing my lifelong dream of being an NFL quarterback," Tebow wrote on Twitter after he was released by New England.

Now the pursuit continues in Philadelphia.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I wonder if this means the end of Barkley's time at NovaCare?

I also wonder what Sanchez thinks.

Maybe the same thing that the person in Munch's "The Scream" is thinking?

Comment

Just when you thought things couldn't get more nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
        Just when you thought things couldn't get more nuts.

"Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Works for me. Good luck, brother Tim.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

He is no worse than Barkley and probably a better option QB if we need him.

Comment

I wonder if Chip is thinking about using Tebow as a read-option QB on 3rd and short situations ? It would be similar to how he used Brad Smith. But, in theory, Tebow could throw the ball.

This would of course require them to keep 3 Qb's on gameday.

Comment

60, this a move by your boy that I don't have a problem with. I want to see what this offensive genius might come up with regarding Te bow. There is a level of talent and ability there that a creative mind should be able to harness. And in light of teams like the cowpies persuing the dirtbags of the league, I support bringing in a player of high moral charachter.
                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
                  60, this a move by your boy that I don't have a problem with. I want to see what this offensive genius might come up with regarding Te bow. There is a level of talent and ability there that a creative mind should be able to harness. And in light of teams like the cowpies persuing the dirtbags of the league, I support bringing in a player of high moral charachter.
                  Agreed. The guy has an unusual skill set. He's not an accurate, pocket passing QB. He's not good in a typical offense. But, in the read option, he's a freaking nightmare.

Comment

Agree, he's worth a look at least. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. He's been a starting QB in an NFL playoff game, Barkley can not say that.
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I read a post in a comments section somewhere regarding Tebow's signing contrasted with the possibility of a Cowboys-Vikes trade with A.P. This made me wonder about both situations in the P.R. context. Interesting conspiracy theory: Could an unintended consequence of the Tebow signing be the Cowboys getting cold feet re: A.P. trade due to the oversensitivity to a potential negative PR hit?

Eh, maybe not, maybe so.

Comment

I see here u are going TP but I doubt it. Still, good Locker room guy.
                        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                          I see here u are going TP but I doubt it. Still, good Locker room guy.
                          I agree, re: locker-room guy. I was just wondering aloud about the other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
                            I read a post in a comments section somewhere regarding Tebow's signing contrasted with the possibility of a Cowboys-Vikes trade with A.P. This made me wonder about both situations in the P.R. context. Interesting conspiracy theory: Could an unintended consequence of the Tebow signing be the Cowboys getting cold feet re: A.P. trade due to the oversensitivity to a potential negative PR hit?

Eh, maybe not, maybe so.
                            Don't kid yourself. Jerry Jones would hand his mother over to ISIS to win. If they get a chance to work a deal for A.P., I can guarantee you that P.R. will be the furthest thing from his mind.

Comment

I like it a lot. Nothing but upside from where I sit. I have never liked Barkley, and Sanchez has shown IMO that he is not going to be a long term answer and as others have said he fits this O a bit better.

Comment

Working...
                              X