Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Announced Retirement

Thanks for helping to win that trophy.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

A hell of a player and an even better person. He is someone all Eagle fans can be proud of.

https://www.philly.com/eagles/chris-...-20190519.html
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Thanks for the memories and your selflessness, Chris! Don't be a stranger around NovaCare and in the Philly area!

Comment

Good for you Chris Long & Thanks for winning a SB here. I'm sure he gave this decision alot of thought before retiring & I say, Good for you Chris. A Wise Man told me years ago: "You can always right a wrong decision, but first you gotta make one". I've always remembered that & in Chris Long's case, that saying certainly applies in his case.
        Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Chris Long: Great player, better person. Not selfish and works to make the world a better place.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Interesting reading the article that he still has the desire to play he just wants a bigger role than he has had. The Eagles were not going to give him that (with Malik Jackson here there will be much less of Brandon Graham sliding inside) so he hung up his cleats.

I wonder if the Eagles are going on a run mid year and they need a pass rusher if he doesn't come out of retirement.

Either way they need to start putting some youth into the position. Barnett is good player who can still take several steps. Graham is still a productive player and Vinny is on a one year deal. So Hall or Sweat or Miller or Ostman at least one of them needs to step up and seize that 4th end role and give 10 - 15 productive snaps a game. Then next year that player can move into the 3rd role and they draft another one to compete with whomever of the 4 are left here. Need more youth at that position right now.
            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I've said all along that everybody has to learn sometime and you can't do it from the bench. You can't baby these guys forever. Why draft them if you aren't going to play them? If they flame out in the preseason then you have to make a move.

Comment

The NFL and, more importantly, the World needs more people like Chris Long.

Truly, one of the Good Guys. His presence will be missed.

Here's looking at you Chris Long....

Comment

Happy retirement!

Talks talk. Walks walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                    Happy retirement!

Talks talk. Walks walk.
                    I never could get one straight.

Comment

he will definitely be missed! Such a loss on the field.

Barnett better be ready!

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post

Barnett better be ready!
                        Not too worried about Barnett as they both seem to be pass rushers first, but Sweat, Hall, Dillard or Osterman have to step up!

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post

Barnett better be ready!
                          Different side of the line, it will be Barnett and Curry on the right side, Graham and TBD on the left. (one of Miller, Ostman, Sweat or Hall)

The interesting thing is Miller rushed almost exclusively from the left side in college, Sweat from the right side. Ostman not so sure.

I think everyone is thinking DE is such a need and based on last year I would say yes. However the D line is going to function differently with Malik Jackson this year. We now have two legit pass rushing DT's, with Timmy as a third to give them a breather at times. There will not be a need to move DE inside like we did last year (With Graham and Bennett)

So I don't think DE is as much a need as everyone thinks. The top 3 are solid DE's in Graham, Barnett and Curry. Then we have 2 promising draft picks in Miller and Sweat and two potentially good ends in Ostman and Hall to pick a 4th and possibly 5th from. Is it a top 5 group NO but its a solid group.

That said if Howie has the chance to pickup a pass rushing end via a trade or somebody shakes loose I think he will.
                          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

First, you have to admire Long as a person. No question he walks the walk. As far as his field play-- he didn't have a HoF career but he had a career he can be proud of. More than talent it was his willingness to not take any plays off and to give it his all. Sorry to see him go.
                            As for this year. Not concerned about DE as long as the injury bug doesn't show up. Miller will be on the roster, whether he is inactive or not is to be determined. Personal guess is that Hall is the 5th guy on the roster. Sweat or Ostman could make most teams and I expect at least one to be on another team. I will be interested to see how Curry and Miller show up this year.
                            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

If the injury bug shows up, so will Chris Long. Retirement will not be as appealing without training camp staring him in the face. That said, I would really like to see another DE. Ansah? Let’s make DL dominant!
                              Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                              Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Working...
                              X