Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senior Bowl: Brandt- Under The Radar Prospects

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...he-senior-bowl

This one caught my eye, what with Richard Sherman in the news (in-game and post-game) today. Granted, it is one man's opinion:

<H3>Stanley Jean-Baptiste, DB, Nebraska

Jean-Baptiste has rare size (6-foot-2 3/8, 215); he looks like a clone of Richard Sherman. I'm sure the Seahawks, among most NFL teams, will be paying close attention to this player. He's a junior-college transfer who only played cornerback for a season and a half at Nebraska after switching from wide receiver in 2011. Has very long arms (78 3/8 wingspan) and is a willing tackler. Looks fast in coverage and has quickness. If he looks like he can cover in man drills this week, he might move up into my top 100. Smart player who entered 2013 with his degree already in hand.
    </H3>

More stuff from Rotoworld: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...l-notes-monday

WR Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt - Showed perhaps the most polish of all the receivers, easily coachable, desired coaching, played physically, didn’t mind mixing things up with the defensive backs. He ran good routes, consistently caught the ball and whenever he faced the top corners, it was great competition.

OLB Jeremiah Attaochu, Georgia Tech - Played during the day at ILB which I think is a major mistake. He’s got to be a space player but the experience of playing inside can’t hurt. But, he’s not really had a chance to show what he can do off the edge. Hopefully, the Jaguars coaching staff will give him that opportunity to hit the edge Tuesday and/or Wednesday.

CB Keith McGill, Utah - At 6’3” showed incredible agility in press man drills and will be a guy to watch the rest of the week.

CB/S Chris Davis, Auburn - Had an interesting day and I’m struggling with how to classify his day. He’s easily the most physical cornerback on the field and he is ultra-physical in press coverage. He frustrated nearly every receiver in press man, including Vanderbilt star WR Jordan Matthews. But, the further he got away from the line of scrimmage, he struggled a bit. He got beat once by Matthews but Davis will compete. He’s stiff as can be but I love his tenacity. Ultimately, I think he’s got to move to safety but initially I think playing corner will be great experience this week.

Edge rusher Trent Murphy, Stanford - I was a big fan of Murphy’s pass rushing skills including his outstanding hands, but we didn’t see much of that on Monday as he had trouble dealing with Zach Martin (who I project down to guard) and Seantrel Henderson who is the longest offensive lineman at the Senior Bowl.

Comment

Lawlor from Igglesblitz: http://igglesblitz.com/2014/01/senior-bowl-update/

I’ll post practice notes later on. For now, some quick, simple stuff.
      The Eagles talked to:

OLB Jeremiah Attaochu
      CB Aaron Colvin
      ILB Christian Jones
      DL Deandre Coleman
      DE Brent Urban
      ILB Lamin Barrow
      CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste
      ILB Chris Borland
      CB Dontae Johnon
      S Ahmad Dixon

The players were meeting with coaches and scouts.
      The Eagles were active and aggressive. They also talked to players at night back at the team hotel. Those interviews can be very important. That’s where they really sit down and talk to a guy and get an in-depth feel for him. The meetings on the practice field are quick chats. They can give you an idea of who the Eagles are interested in.

Comment

Bowen- Vandy WR Jordan Matthews:

Matthews' mother is a first cousin of Jerry Rice, who ran track with Rice in high school, he said. They aren't in constant contact, but Matthews recalled visiting Rice when he played for the Raiders, seeing his house. He has watched a lot of film of Rice, studied his demeanor and approach. But he has done the same with Calvin Johnson, Cris Carter and Randy Moss, he said.
        "I was either 12 or 13. They had a game against the Broncos around Christmastime. We went to his house, went to the game" but ended up changing seats because Matthews' mom wasn't thrilled with the language of the inhabitants of the "Black Hole," he said.

"Getting cutups or watching film of guys you're going to go against the next week, I feel like that should be required," said Matthews, an economics grad who holds the SEC career records for catches (262) and receiving yards (3,759). "Proper preparation prevents poor performance. That's one thing I like to live by . . . I don't want to ever be that person who comes out here blind. I wanted to make sure I got a good look at Aaron Colvin [Oklahoma corner on the South team]. I'd heard about him, I'd seen his highlights, but I hadn't watched him in a full game. Chris Davis from Auburn, that's a physical corner. You want to make sure you have some releases ready for him before you have to stand on that line and look at him."

Comment

More Senior Bowl Stuff

Posted: January 20th, 2014 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 13 Comments

I have posted some practice notes over at Scouts Notebook.
          A few Eagles slants on things…
          * I didn’t watch the South DBs very much. That practice was at a place where we were on the field. You judge the WRs/DBs better from sitting up in the stands when you can look down on them.
          * S Craig Loston is growing on me. I’m not saying the guy is a stud prospect, but he’s been more impressive than I anticipated.
          * I really wish Lamarcus Joyner was here. I’d love to see him in action. Joyner is a terrific player, but he’s small. I hope the Eagles are interested, but his size will be a serious test to “Big people beat up little people.” I think he’s one of those guys who is so good you ignore the size part of it.
          * A few of you asked about why the Eagles would show interest in ILBs. I’ll cover that in a post.
          * The Eagles are looking at big CBs. That’s what they like. And there are plenty of them in Mobile.
          * Chip Kelly loves big players. I can see the Eagles loving DE Brent Urban. They did talk to him today. Seemed to be a player the scouts made sure to get hold of.
          * They’ll be fascinated by Daniel McCullers, but I think he’s too passive for them. Instead of “More vioence!” Jerry Azzinaro will have to yell “Can I please have any violence!!!”
          * No idea what they’ll think of LB Adrian Hubbard.
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

• By Jeff McLane, Inquirer Staff Writer

Posted: January 20, 2014

MOBILE, Ala. - A year ago at this time, there was some question whether Lane Johnson was a first-round draft pick heading into the Senior Bowl.
            Could the Eagles find another sleeper at this year's game? Three of their last four first-round picks - including Johnson - played in the annual event, which begins Monday with weigh-ins and the first day of practice before Saturday's game.
            The Eagles have selected more prospects (18 who played in the Senior Bowl than any other NFL team during the last four drafts. But that may be coincidence more than anything.
            Despite the manufactured buzz from the media about prospects' moving up and down boards, there is generally little movement between the end of the college football season and the draft - especially for seniors.

But there are exceptions, and Johnson was one last year. The Oklahoma tackle had played only two seasons on the offensive line, and there was some question about his readiness. But he fared well against some of the best pass rushers from the Class of 2013 during Senior Bowl practices.
            Johnson followed his performance with a freakish showing at the scouting combine and rocketed into the top 10 on many draft boards, eventually being selected fourth overall by the Eagles in Chip Kelly's first draft.
            The Eagles coach, his assistants, and a full contingent of scouts, led by general manager Howie Roseman, are expected to be here this week to narrow the list of prospects who are suited to Kelly's schemes.
            "We have to still continue to outline what we're looking for in players because there are certain players that are great fits; there are other players that are tremendous football players but they may not fit scheme-wise into what we're doing," Kelly said earlier this month. "That's not what we're looking for."
            But Kelly knows that concessions sometimes have to be made, and the Eagles will have only seven shots - they currently have a draft pick in Rounds 1-4, two in the fifth, and one in the seventh - to get the players they want.
            "This isn't recruiting where you can go out and offer and try to get them to come," Kelly said. "There's a selection in the draft process, and we're not going to pick until the 22d [in the first round]. There's 21 other guys that we may covet, but we don't have an opportunity to get them.
            "You have ideals, and you have parameters in terms of what we're looking for, but sometimes it may not be exactly what you're looking for. But you make do with it."
            Here are some of the seniors the Eagles may have particular interest in this week based on need and Kelly's preferences:
            Outside linebackers. Dee Ford is probably the most recognizable name after his standout performances throughout the Southeastern Conference season and in the national championship game. The Auburn star notched 101/2 sacks and likely will project as a 3-4 edge rusher. He isn't very rangy, though (6-foot-2, 240 pounds).
            Jeremiah Attaochu (6-3, 242) of Georgia Tech has the type of athleticism pro teams covet even if he isn't as polished as Ford. Louisville's Marcus Smith (6-3, 252) could end up in a 4-3 defense, but he has the ability to drop into coverage. Adrian Hubbard has great size (6-6, 252), but the Alabama star has underperformed. Brigham Young's Kyle Van Noy (6-3, 245) has something to prove as a pass rusher. Telvin Smith (6-3, 218 of Florida State has 4-3 outside linebacker written all over him, but he has added weight and could be a versatile standup rusher.
            Safeties. Ahmad Dixon of Baylor (6-0, 205) may be the most physically gifted safety here. He could improve his stock by dominating against a subpar crop of receivers. Washington State's Deone Bucannon, (6-1, 215) is another hitter who can struggle in coverage. Craig Loston (6-2, 209) of Louisiana State has a similar skill-set. Vanderbilt's Kenny Ladler (6-1, 205) was savvy enough to play both safety spots in college. Jimmie Ward (5-11, 192) of Northern Illinois and Terrence Brooks of Florida State (5-11, 200) could be climbers.
            Cornerbacks. Utah's Keith McGill is one of several cornerbacks who could be better suited to play safety in the NFL. The Eagles like their outside corners rangy, though, and that describes McGill (6-3, 205). Marqueston Huff (6-0, 195) was Wyoming's leading tackler at the safety spot. Oklahoma's Aaron Colvin (6-0, 192) may be a better fit in the slot. Auburn's Chris Davis (5-11, 200) is best known for his game-winning touchdown return on a missed field goal in the Iron Bowl.
            Wide receivers. If the Eagles are looking for bigger, more physical receivers, there are several here. Jordan Matthews (6-3, 206) of Vanderbilt is the only headliner, though. He isn't especially quick but uses his size well and has good hands. Jeff Janis from Division II Saginaw Valley State (6-3, 218 could be an intriguing mid- to late-round pick. Mike Davis (6-2, 195) of Texas, Jared Abbrederis (6-2, 190) of Wisconsin, and Kevin Norwood (6-2, 195) of Alabama are slighter but were reliable ball catchers. Of the smaller receivers, Josh Huff (5-11, 202) could draw the most interest from the Eagles because he played three seasons under Kelly at Oregon.
            Quarterbacks. The Eagles aren't likely to draft a quarterback in the first round, but they could pluck one in the later rounds as they did last year when Matt Barkley was selected in the fourth. Derek Carr (6-3, 218 of Fresno State is considered the top thrower here and could end up a first-round pick, but Kelly may have more interest in Tajh Boyd (6-1, 225). The athletic Clemson quarterback could thrive in the right system. Jimmy Garoppolo (6-3, 222) of Eastern Illinois was added after Alabama's A.J. McCarron dropped out and after his impressive showing in the East-West Shrine Bowl. Garoppolo does a little bit of everything. Logan Thomas (6-6, 254) of Virginia Tech and Stephen Morris (6-2, 218 of Miami hurt their stock with rocky senior seasons in which they often made poor decisions.
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Tahj Boyd reported the he spoke to the Eagles yesterday.

Comment

Sign me up for sure tacklers with shirt area quickness please.
                You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Working...
                X