Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add about $2MM more back to cap space.

Comment

It was time for him to go, and he did seem a bit overmatched the past year or so, but the way he became the #1 whipping boy on the team just seems a bit over the top.

I'm glad we're making room for the kids to step up, but I'm not going to kick his ass on the way out the door. He was a funny guy and played well his first year here. I'll never forget the telecast where the announcers played his ridiculous voicemail greeting. Funniest fucking thing I've ever heard from an NFL player.

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg
        Emmons had 4 sacks in 4 years.

Again Jones was far from great, but for a guy, who IMO was playing out of position, he wasn't the total piece of crap people seem to think he is. In fact his first year with the team, he did real well and I thought the Birds had god a steal.
        Don't know how you could think he was a steal. He never matched Emmons' production here.

Jones' stats never quite matched Emmons's -- either in sacks or in tackles. According to NFL.com, Emmons had 5 sacks in 4 years . In 60 games with the Eagles, Emmons had 300 total tackles (Avg 5.0 pg), 230 unassisted (3.83 pg). Jones had 227 total tackles in 48 games (4.72 pg), 160 unassisted (3.33 pg).

Granted Jones production was greater than Emmons the past three years, largely because Emmons had been injured - so in that respect we did get the better of the Emmons for Jones "trade." But, in reality, Jones was never quite the player that Emmons was for us.
        "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

I had a good feeling about Dhani this morning when I read this in SPads piece....

"The Eagles have a lot of possibilities at linebacker, including a battle at SAM with Gocong and Bradley and, in theory, Dhani Jones and Tank Daniels. "

In theory........LOL!
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge

Again Jones was far from great, but for a guy, who IMO was playing out of position, he wasn't the total piece of crap people seem to think he is. In fact his first year with the team, he did real well and I thought the Birds had god a steal.
            Don't know how you could think he was a steal. He never matched Emmons' production here.

Jones' stats never quite matched Emmons's -- either in sacks or in tackles. According to NFL.com, Emmons had 5 sacks in 4 years . In 60 games with the Eagles, Emmons had 300 total tackles (Avg 5.0 pg), 230 unassisted (3.83 pg). Jones had 227 total tackles in 48 games (4.72 pg), 160 unassisted (3.33 pg).

Granted Jones production was greater than Emmons the past three years, largely because Emmons had been injured - so in that respect we did get the better of the Emmons for Jones "trade." But, in reality, Jones was never quite the player that Emmons was for us.
            I guess my main point is he doesn't deserve to be the fans whipping boy, no one is as bad as he is painted on these boards and to a lesser extent the media.
            Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Anthony Gargano said on WIP that Jeremiah Trotter used to rip Dhani Jones behind the scenes to him...he said "Am I allowed to say this now since Dhani is gone?"

Comment

Yeah Trotter should be looking in the mirror before he rips anyone. Dhani was equal or better then Trotter last year.
                Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

I agree...we needed a better answer there and hopefully will have one this season, but Dhani is certainly not as terrible as he has been made out to be here...I saw him make plays behind the LOS several times...
                  Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I guess I'm from the old school, because Dhani Jones's flamboyant displays after making a tackle (which in my mind were all too infrequent and mostly made 2-3 yards after they should have been made) really riled me. I grew up watching players like Ray Nitschke, who made plays all over the field and never celebrated the plays that were routine.

Jones's celebratory guitar playing was unwarranted and unjustified. He was one of the weak links in our defense, and I am glad to see him go. It means we have taken steps to get better.
                    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

I agree stock on the celebratory stuff after making a play...it is silly

Do you like Trot's axe chops? Or Dawk's wolverine antics? Or McNabb's moonwalk?

I dislike most of it, but it does seem at times players fans think are good are given license while ones fans think are bad get none...it seems hypocritical to me and am interested in your take...

I do have to say, however, that I liked LJ's "archer" act after one TD several years ago since it was creative I thought...
                      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I am more tolerant with antics from guys that perceive a team leaders. Trot, Dawk and McNabb have all been that. Dhani NEVER has. Dhani never WAS.
                        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Carlos Emmons was a very good LBer for us for a few years, and he did an excellent job of covering TEs. This is one of those situations where we had a very effective player that wore down due to age and injuries, and we did not get an adequate replacement. Emmons was light years better than Jones at SAM, and I agree that Jones was more suited to the WILL spot. We've had corners and safetys covering the Shockeys and Whittens of the world since Emmons left, hopefully GoCong gives them a guy that can lock down on these guys and run with them like Emmons did. It really helps the defense when you have a SAM that can stone the TE all game long. I don't care as much about tackles and stats with Emmons because he was good at matching up with TEs, Jones was not.

Comment

"I agree stock on the celebratory stuff after making a play...it is silly "

And I agree with both vfk and Stock.

And frankly I'm not sure I understand why bad/silly behavior is more acceptable if it's from a team leader or not-- in fact as a team leader I would think they would set a good/better example-- "Here Mr ref, here is the ball after my td, I've done this before and will do it some more, I'll celebrate after the W" or "here Ref here is the ball after my 5 yard complettion for a first down, I have made many first downs before and I'm going to make many more, let's just play football"

Comment

I usually am able to take the high road when a player leaves the Eagles
                              ( for whatever reason) and say Thank you for all the great memories.....good luck down the road and I wish you all the best....but with this bow tie piece of shit, I can only smile.......raise my hands in glory and say
                              hal- a -fuckin- lu-yah.......hit the bricks you USELESS MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

MD, my rationale is that when I see Dawk flexing and doing his thing, I think he pumps up his unit. As a leader.

Comment

Working...
                                X