Holmgren has to go, no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holmgren has to go, no?

Holmgrens moves have backfired badly. Anyone else think he needs to be accountable?
    www.disciplerocks.com

This is a hard question, it's both yes and no. I look at the games and how the flyers get out worked, out hustled and just bad mistakes, now is that bad/tired coaching or sub par players...it's probably both.

If you want to talk about moves homer did/didn't make, I thought he's done an up and down job there too. Here's where I can't speak to, I'm not sure where the flyers are salary cap wise and free agents out there that could have helped this yr and that may be available next year. did he miss out on free agents his year? Yes, did he replace guys he lost? Not really. If you want to fire him on a lockout shortened off season, that's fine, I'm not going to shed tears, but you better replace him from outside the flyers family for a different point of view, and I don't see that happening until Snider goes

Comment

I don't know. I'm hesitant to say the decision to dump Carter and Richards for Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek and Couturier (plus Nick Cousins) were bad moves. Yes, Carter and Richards won a Cup in LA -- but that was more a function of that team having a great goaltender and playing a very greasy, grimy style of hockey that works in the playoffs.

I think Homer got very good talent back for those two guys and I really like the young talent on this team. They are just not consistent enough yet.

It's really too bad that they didn't get Shea Weber last summer. He would have given them what they need most -- a No. 1 defenseman. And that would have also meant the Flyers would not have had to trade JVR for Luke Schenn. I really like Luke Schenn, he is playing very well. But I'd rather have Weber and JVR. So they were a little bit unlucky there, and it started with Pronger going down last year.

If anything, I think the coach needs to go. Laviolette plays an uptempo, offense-first system. I think they need to dial it back, go more defense first and limit the odd-man rushes. They also still need a true No. 1 d-man, plus another puckmover on the blueline.

I'd like to see them move some veteran pieces like Briere for prospects, write this BS half-season off. Lots of great defensive talent in the draft. Keep looking for that No. 1 d-man and sign a top-scoring FA forward.

Just need to be patient and maybe get a coach who will emphasize defense more.
      Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Thank you LT! I agree with a lot. It bothers me when people call into talk radio and talk about how Richards/carter won a cup. Carter never should have been there if he didnt cry his way out.

I don't know what you can get for briere/hartnell/coburn but I'd look into it. I do wonder if schenn was the best u could get for jvr.

They do need to look at the coach and get better dman.

Comment

Originally posted by 12dickau4pres View Post
          Thank you LT! I agree with a lot. It bothers me when people call into talk radio and talk about how Richards/carter won a cup. Carter never should have been there if he didnt cry his way out.

I don't know what you can get for briere/hartnell/coburn but I'd look into it. I do wonder if schenn was the best u could get for jvr.

They do need to look at the coach and get better dman.
          I'd like to see them move Briere, Hartnell and/or Coburn for picks and/or prospects. Would love to get a 1 for Briere, if they can convince him to waive his NMC. Boston is apparently interested in Briere, maybe St. Louis.

Also, Ottawa and others are apparently interested in Matt Read. Love Read but if they could move him in a package that maybe brings back a Jared Cowen from Ottawa, I'd be stoked.

They've got two excellent shutdown d-men in Schenn and Grossmann. But they have to upgrade the puck movers. Timonen is on his last legs. Coburn has struggled. I like Gus, they need to keep giving him ice time, let him make mistakes.

More than anything, I'd like to see the Flyers finally show some patience. If I have a problem with Homer, it's the overall lack of patience in the organization.
          Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I don't get to watch too many games, but I read as much as I can about them and follow each game on my phone. This team is very frustrating.
            www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Working...
            X