Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Everything Else > Misc

Old 09-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #2301
MDFAN
Hall of Famer

MDFAN has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelmontShore View Post
Hey Guys. How is everyone?

There have been a few times over the last couple of months I had Mike pop into my head. When it happened about an hour ago, I checked to see the last time Mike was active on PhilaPhans. When I saw the date, I shuddered because I knew.

So the 1st thing I did was come here to scour the site for any news and obviously, this is what I've found. My worst fear confirmed and I am profoundly sad to know what has happened.

Mike was so brave, so strong and so positive about his fight that he gave you the feeling he would beat it, even though reality of what he faced was so dire knowing the numbers. He was always so brutally honest about what he was going through, so forthcoming, it inspired both admiration and incredible dread at what he was facing.

This thread is a truly harrowing read. In some way, I imagine it was cathartic for him, but for the reader? It's 5+ years of the most inspirational, heartbreaking, scary and even funny at times dialogue. At times, you find yourself with your head in your hands wondering how he endured. But he did, with grace, dignity and a huge fighter's heart.

RIP Mike.

My condolences and best wishes to his wife and family for their loss.

- ron
QFT! Thanks Ron!
MDFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #2302
andrewaters 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

andrewaters is on a distinguished road

If any of us had any brains we’d turn this thread into a movie and make millions and then give it all to Mrs. Fresh.

It would be an inspiring story. What a stud Mike was. And now he is in paradise.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:34 AM   #2303
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Eagle60 will become famous soon enough

God I miss Mike, especially during the season. He used to tell me "I allowed myself a pain pill tonight and am having a beer with Suzy by the pool". My God Mike you're dying and you're worried about one friekin pill??? Went to the loading dock everyday for half the day until 2 weeks before he passed. He just wouldn't quit. He just wouldn't quit .
Old 09-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #2304
tinopuno 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

tinopuno is on a distinguished road

Some genuinely touching sentiments expressed by Belmont Shore. This particularly hit home with me... "Mike was so brave, so strong and so positive about his fight that he gave you the feeling he would beat it"

I'm not unfamiliar with the course and prognosis when one has stage 4 lung cancer. Mike's body was not only ravaged by the disease but by the varied chemotherapy regimes and especially by the repeated episodes of radiation therapy. (Quite honestly, Mike's immeasurable bravery and dogged unwillingness to concede an inch shamed me because I knew, even if I were much younger and in good shape like him, I would have tossed in the towel.)

And yet, except when he was "talking" on this thread specifically about issues related to the cancer, his presence on EFO was indistinguishable to me from the Mike we knew before he learned how ill he was. The devotion to our Birds, the keen football insights and the sharp, self-deprecating sense of humor never varied.

For very personal reasons which I explained to Mike, about 6 months before he died I pretty much stopped posting on this thread. It was selfish of me but it was something I needed to do. I maintained contact with Mike via PM, especially regarding the promising advances in the treatment of lung cancer with immunotherapy.

Looking back, all this enabled me to believe that somehow Mike was actually going to beat this vile bastard...foolish old man that I am.

EFO is just much different without Mike.

Last edited by tinopuno; 10-02-2017 at 07:53 PM..
tinopuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:36 PM   #2305
Jukin 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Jukin is on a distinguished road

Bump

I don’t want this thread to fall to page 2.....

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mike Willey
Jukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:41 PM   #2306
andrewaters 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

andrewaters is on a distinguished road

Agreed can’t we sticky this permanently