Steve Kerr: where Iverson could end up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Kerr: where Iverson could end up

Atlanta – This seems like a good fit because the Hawks have lots of good young talent and need a box office star. A sign-and-trade involving Al Harrington and one of their young wing players – Josh Smith, perhaps – and another player or two to make the salaries fit would seem to work. This team has been bad for a long time, and Iverson would make a huge splash in Atlanta – people might actually come to see the games – but with the Hawks' ownership group involved in ongoing legal battles, the team is severely restricted in making long-term, big-money deals.

New York – Money is no object; we know that. And Iverson would be a huge hit on Broadway. If there's one thing Knicks fans want, it's a star player who will play hard every night and excite them. But who would King want off that roster? Stephon Marbury? Steve Francis? And does Philadelphia really want to trade Iverson to a division rival? Oh, and the Knicks will most likely have Chicago's first-round choice next season, not their own, so their draft pick isn't a great asset.

Golden State – The Warriors could make a move, since they have plenty of big contracts and some desirable young talent in Troy Murphy, Monta Ellis and Jason Richardson. But if I'm the Warriors, I'm not moving Richardson. Philly would most likely have to take Baron Davis to make the deal work.

Denver – Carmelo and A.I. together? Doubtful. Not enough basketballs to go around. Besides, the Nuggets just handed out $140 million in contract extensions. But you never know. Denver doesn't appear to have much of a plan other than to pay a whole bunch of guys a whole lot of money. Maybe the Nuggets can package a few of them for Iverson.

Memphis – It's a possibility. But the Grizzlies aren't giving up Pau Gasol, and other than Mike Miller and Rudy Gay, there's not a whole lot on the roster that would appeal to King. And to make it work, the Sixers would have to take on some bad contracts.

Indianapolis – The Pacers would probably have to part with Jermaine O'Neal to get Iverson, and the rule of thumb is you don't trade big for small. And putting Iverson alongside Stephen Jackson and Jamaal Tinsley? Uh uh.

Boston – Another division rival? Still, all the rumors have Danny Ainge making a huge push for Iverson, which is why the Celtics' G.M. traded for Sebastian Telfair on draft day. (Telfair would end up a Sixer as part of the package. Of course, with the way Randy Foye and Brandon Roy have played this summer, Philly would be much more interested in either one of them than Telfair. So maybe Ainge made a mistake with the trade. But I digress.)

Boston does have some young talent to offer in Al Jefferson, Kendrick Perkins, Tony Allen and Delonte West. But to make the salaries match up, Philly would have to take back either Wally Szczerbiak or Theo Ratliff. And Paul Pierce just signed a huge extension. Do the Celtics want both Pierce and Iverson in the backcourt – with only one ball between them – and a gazillion dollars committed to two players who may not complement one another?

In the end, there isn't one team that jumps out as an ideal fit for Iverson. And for Billy King, it's not easy to imagine a trade that will bring back what he's looking for.

Who knows? Maybe something will materialize and we will see A.I. in a new uniform next season. But there's also a good chance King won't find a deal he likes, and Iverson will stay in Philadelphia.

What's the old cliché – some of the best trades are the ones you don't make? That may be the case here. Iverson has been a Sixer his entire career, he wants to stay and, even though the fans in Philly aren't coming out in droves to see him, they still love A.I.

The best spot for him just might be right where he is.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=s ... &type=lgns

While, there is a better than decent chance that trading AI could really help the Sixers in the long-run; I just don't want to see him in another uniform (especially not a division-rival).

I for one won't be angry if he isn't traded.
    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Need to get rid of him. Billy King gets paid to make things like this happen. If he holds onto him he'll begin to break down and we'll get nothing for him.

Besides the fact that Carney and AI2 will get 3 shots a game each during critical development years. Sigh.

The deal I want is Shaun Livingston but its not going to happen.
      Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
      Playoff Appearances:
      NFC Title Games:
      Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Yeah, but trading him just to trade him is stupid.

At this point I am at least open to trading him; less than a year ago I was 100% against trading him. And I admit that my desire to see him stay here is not necessary based on basketball. I just don't want to see him in another jersey. AI and Lindros have probably been the most talented atheletes that have played in Philly in my lifetime (with Donny Mac right behind them). I saw Lindros run out of town and I just don't want to see the same happen to Iverson.

Comment

No you don't trade him for nothing. But KING has to earn his check and go get some value for him. Now. If he doesn't - no matter what he says "We were offered anything of equal value..." BLAH BLAH BLAH - is crap. It's on him. No matter what. If nothing good is there - make SOMETHING GOOD HAPPEN. That's your job asshat.
          Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
          Playoff Appearances:
          NFC Title Games:
          Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

You know Leif, as an Iverson fan, i think you should want him to get traded. The Sixers are going nowhere and AI won't sniff the Finals again much less the playoffs.

Comment

If Iverson and Webber are both on the team next year. Then I agree 100% with this article:

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports ... 062366.htm

We don't even have to play the season next year. Our final record is 39 and 43. We finish 12th in the NBA and don't move up in the lottery. We draft Julian Wright, Kansas Univ. and King attempts to continue to make this Phoenix Suns East coast. Meanwhile he forgets you need a PG to make that work as Louis Williams never develops into that role because Iverson hogs the ball all season.
              Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
              Playoff Appearances:
              NFC Title Games:
              Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
                You know Leif, as an Iverson fan, i think you should want him to get traded. The Sixers are going nowhere and AI won't sniff the Finals again much less the playoffs.
                I wouldn't mind it if it were somewhere out west (excluding the Lakers). But I really, really don't see him on the Celtics or Knicks.

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg
                  Originally posted by sfphillyfan
                  I wouldn't mind it if it were somewhere out west (excluding the Lakers). But I really, really don't see him on the Celtics or Knicks.
                  Yup. Make it out west and not the lakers. Exactly my thoughts. Although if we traded him to Utah, Iverson might refuse to go.

Comment

The only way you can keep AI here, and have it make ANY sense at all, would be if you could trade Weber and his 22 mill cap eater-- and get some relief earlier and some young talent on short leashes.

But who the hell is stupid enough to take Weber?

Oh yeah, the sixers!

Other than that-- he has to be traded WHILE he still has some value!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                      The only way you can keep AI here, and have it make ANY sense at all, would be if you could trade Weber and his 22 mill cap eater-- and get some relief earlier and some young talent on short leashes.

But who the hell is stupid enough to take Weber?

Oh yeah, the sixers!

Other than that-- he has to be traded WHILE he still has some value!
                      Isiah Thomas. The problem is that there's no one on the Knicks that ANYONE would want.

Comment

Even IT isn't that dumb-- not 22 mill dumb!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                          Even IT isn't that dumb-- not 22 mill dumb!
                          Dude.. he traded an unprotected first round pick for Eddy Curry!

And then he traded an expiring contract for Steve Francis.

He might be the dumbest GM in sports.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X