This "Trade" borders on ridiculous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This "Trade" borders on ridiculous

Eagles claim the safety the Vikings cut to make room for Andrew Sendejo’s return
    Go figure.

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Nov 7, 2019, 4:40pm EST

The Philadelphia Eagles claimed safety Marcus Epps off waivers, according to an official announcement from the team.

This is a funny addition because Epps was recently waived by the Minnesota Vikings so that they could claim Andrew Sendejo off waivers after the veteran was released by the Eagles.

So, it’s almost like the two teams pulled off a deal despite the fact the NFL trade deadline passed last week. When you factor in compensatory pick considerations, the pseudo-swap looks like this:

EAGLES RECEIVE: Marcus Epps, 2020 compensatory fourth-round pick

VIKINGS RECEIVE: Andrew Sendejo

Epps, 23, was selected by the Vikings with a sixth-round pick (No. 191 overall) in the 2019 NFL Draft. The rookie defenisve backs only logged 12 defensive snaps (2%) and 76 special teams snaps (33%) prior to getting waived this week. The Vikings reportedly wanted to keep him on their practice squad if he went unclaimed through waivers, which he didn’t.

The addition of Epps gives the Eagles four safeties on their 53-man roster. Malcolm Jenkins and Rodney McLeod are the obvious starters. Rudy Ford and Epps likely only figure to contribute on special teams, even with Sendejo gone. The Eagles are expected to play more four cornerback dime sets moving forward.

Perhaps the Eagles think Epps has some developmental potential as a defensive contributor in the long-term. Pre-draft scouting report from NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein:

Former walk-on who has became an impact defender the moment he stepped on campus in Laramie. Epps saw an increase in snaps over the slot last season but lacks the smooth hips and short-area quickness to match routes on the next level. He was a plus tester at his pro day and it is hard to ignore the steady stream of production, but he lacks size for the box and the makeup burst as a high safety so his road to the 53-man roster will be daunting.

Kent Lee Platte
    @MathBomb
    With pick 191 in the 2019 NFL Draft, the #Vikings select Marcus Epps, SS, Wyoming.

Marcus Epps posted a Great #RAS with Poor size, Good speed, Great explosiveness, Elite agility at the SS position.

View image on Twitter
    3:04 PM - Apr 27, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    See Kent Lee Platte's other Tweets
    The Eagles’ roster is once again filled to capacity at the 53-player limit.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I guess that means the Eagles won't be filling that last roster spot with another WR

Comment

If they want a different WR they could waive Hollins. I just don't think that is in the cards from the moves they made.
      Sendejo wasn't anything special so Epps should be enough to replace him. Epps is also a young guy so he may develop. He played in Wyoming. Tim Hauck is a Montana guy with some connection to the Wyoming coach Bohl I believe. I wonder if there was some talk
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
        If they want a different WR they could waive Hollins. I just don't think that is in the cards from the moves they made.
        Sendejo wasn't anything special so Epps should be enough to replace him. Epps is also a young guy so he may develop. He played in Wyoming. Tim Hauck is a Montana guy with some connection to the Wyoming coach Bohl I believe. I wonder if there was some talk
        The way it went down is crazy. Why did they let Sendego go in the first place if they wanted him back??? I'll say this for him, he really smoked a couple of guys while he was here!

Comment

With LeBlanc coming back I'd think Epps is a goner and likely headed to the PS soon as Maddox likely becomes a guy that can be a third or fourth safety.
          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Agree aw. 60 the Vikes let him go over contract money and the thought they could upgrade. He had some penalty issues there also. Birds picked him up because they needed help at safety and he is a 'hitter' which is something Hauck likes I think. Birds let him go because they got back that 4th round comp pick and he wasn't that good and he picked up a couple penalties so he is always a risk for suspension. Vikes picked him up because he is an upgrade, albeit not a significant upgrade, and they think they are in the thick of it this year.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
              Agree aw. 60 the Vikes let him go over contract money and the thought they could upgrade. He had some penalty issues there also. Birds picked him up because they needed help at safety and he is a 'hitter' which is something Hauck likes I think. Birds let him go because they got back that 4th round comp pick and he wasn't that good and he picked up a couple penalties so he is always a risk for suspension. Vikes picked him up because he is an upgrade, albeit not a significant upgrade, and they think they are in the thick of it this year.
              The bigger head scratcher is cutting LJ Fort who just got an 2 year extension from the Ravens. He's been playing really well for them. With all of the problems we have at LB, how did we let this guy get away? The comp pick game becomes a little ridiculous when you are cutting good players (Fort not Sendejo) just to get a late 4th round pick next year.
              Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

personally, I wanted to see more Singleton and Edwards at LB and on STs.
                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

[%UOTE=musicman;338663]personally, I wanted to see more Singleton and Edwards at LB and on STs.[/QUOTE]

Edwards played well last week MM. I think that he played about 37% of the defensive plays. Singleton really needs to see the field more one way or another. He smoked a guy on one of the kick returns!

Comment

Gerry is making plays as well
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                      The bigger head scratcher is cutting LJ Fort who just got an 2 year extension from the Ravens. He's been playing really well for them. With all of the problems we have at LB, how did we let this guy get away? The comp pick game becomes a little ridiculous when you are cutting good players (Fort not Sendejo) just to get a late 4th round pick next year.
                      Yes, they like Fort. Good enough to resign him and he plays a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                        Yes, they like Fort. Good enough to resign him and he plays a lot.
                        A 4th round pick who most likely never see the field. BTW, Edwards gave our defense a boost on Sunday. Doug and Howie just have this thing for veteran players and just don't play many of their young guys so I have no idea what the big deal is about getting another pick.

Comment

Working...
                        X