Was Brand the wrong choice for the Sixers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Brand the wrong choice for the Sixers

Let me preface this by saying I have not watched all the games, but from what I have seen, I want to pose this question.

Was Elton Brand the right choice for THIS sixers team.

I say this because our offense last year came from turnovers, defense and fast break points. When I watch games now, everyone is waiting at half court for Brand to come across get in the low block and stand around waiting for him to make his move. What happened to the team playing defense. Wheres the running team? One reason I think they played defense so hard was that they knew they had no shot in the half court and had to get out and run.

In this NBA right now - seeing the lack of skiled big men in the league right now and how teams are being runned - DO YOU NEED A BACK TO THE BASKET TYPE PLAYER?

Re: Was Brand the wrong choice for the Sixers

Originally posted by 12dickau4pres
    Let me preface this by saying I have not watched all the games, but from what I have seen, I want to pose this question.

I say this because our offense last year came from turnovers, defense and fast break points. When I watch games now, everyone is waiting at half court for Brand to come across get in the low block and stand around waiting for him to make his move. What happened to the team playing defense. Wheres the running team? One reason I think they played defense so hard was that they knew they had no shot in the half court and had to get out and run.

In this NBA right now - seeing the lack of skiled big men in the league right now and how teams are being runned - DO YOU NEED A BACK TO THE BASKET TYPE PLAYER?
    Yes he was the right choice if you want to win a championship. If you are just interested in having an exciting regular season team that won't make it past he 2nd round, Josh Smith was your guy.

Their defense has been more of an issue than the offense to me. And their biggest problem on offense is that Igudala just can't shoot.
    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg

Yes he was the right choice if you want to win a championship. If you are just interested in having an exciting regular season team that won't make it past he 2nd round, Josh Smith was your guy.

Their defense has been more of an issue than the offense to me. And their biggest problem on offense is that Igudala just can't shoot.
      I don't see how you could say he was the right choice if you wanted to win a title when the guy has never lead a team to a title.

I didn't want Brand. Smith was the better fit for this team. He was still young and could grow with them. They need to rely on their strengths and that is running. Brand is just not a fit for that type of offense.
      FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz

I don't see how you could say he was the right choice if you wanted to win a title when the guy has never lead a team to a title.

I didn't want Brand. Smith was the better fit for this team. He was still young and could grow with them. They need to rely on their strengths and that is running. Brand is just not a fit for that type of offense.
        What I meant was that you will never win a championship in today's NBA if your primary means of scoring is the fast break. You need to develop a half court offense and Brand helps that. The mistake IMO was resigning Igudala.

Comment

What I meant was that you will never win a championship in today's NBA if your primary means of scoring is the fast break. You need to develop a half court offense and Brand helps that. The mistake IMO was resigning Igudala.

Right. Because if you just run run run, the Pistons will force you into a halfcourt game and kill you. Kinda like last year.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan

Right. Because if you just run run run, the Pistons will force you into a halfcourt game and kill you. Kinda like last year.
            Hell if the Suns with Nash, Soudamire (sp?), Marion, Joe Johnson, etc. can't do it, no one can.

Comment

Hell if the Suns with Nash, Soudamire (sp?), Marion, Joe Johnson, etc. can't do it, no one can.
              They were stuck in the west but your point is correct. They were fun as hell to watch though.

Suns vs Mavs were classics.

Comment

They were stuck in the west but your point is correct. They were fun as hell to watch though.

Suns vs Mavs were classics.
                If they were in the East they might make it to the finals but still end up losing to the Spurs. Although I still think they would have had trouble getting past Detroit in the East.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz

IMO the mistake was signing Brand. I would rather they have done nothing and let the team grow and wait for 2010. Now we're stuck with this slop basketball. Brand is going to be a BIG mistake when all is said and done.

IMO you can win it all if you run, run,run if you have the right pieces. Nash has always been a soft player so is Dirk which was part of the reason why neither team has done much. Plus like what was already said playing in the West didn't help much.
                  FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

I'm in the camp that Iguodala is the problem. He's just not a 2. He's a 3. He should be traded.
                    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Well if you put Iggy at the 3 and Thaddeus at the 5, you can trade for a decent PG. Willie Green aint it.

Comment

Working...
                      X