No announcement yet.

Peter King, SI.com: On Kolb getting game ball from Asante Samuel, tearing up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, if you deliver a ring, you could run for king of the town and win. What's so wrong with that? I appreciate greatness. Not a level below greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
      Yes, if you deliver a ring, you could run for king of the town and win. What's so wrong with that? I appreciate greatness. Not a level below greatness.
      Its not wrong on its own; its only wrong if its used to discredit everything a player does achieve besides winning the ring

What I'm trying to do is get you to admit that is the main criteria that led to your "hatred" of McNabb
      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
        Thats the point, you and others would not have gotten "tired of his shit" or at least not as fast or easily IF the ring had been won.
        Not to jump in on this argument late, but there are a lot of ex-Eagles that didn't win the ring, whose shit I never tired of.

> Jon Runyan
        > Troy Vincent
        > Brian Westbrook
        > Brian Dawkins
        > Chad Lewis
        > Duce Staley
        > Keith Byars
        > Blaine Bi- (oops, nevermind)

These guys were warriors ... and you know what, McNabb was a warrior too (ARZ broken foot) ... but McNabb didn't really endear himself to the fans.

The truth is, it never really got bad until the last season or two with the "Gee, sorry we didn't go 16-0" and "We showed our youth." Those comments don't make you forget about the things he accomplished on the field, but they also don't make you like the guy when he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
          What I'm trying to do is get you to admit that is the main criteria that led to your "hatred" of McNabb

And yet, I don't hate Randall, Jaws, Buddy, Joyner, Wes, Dawk, Jerome, BE, Carmichael, Wilbert, Waters...

what makes them different from McNabb? Might be cause they didn't say stupid shit all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
            And yet, I don't hate Randall, Jaws, Buddy, Joyner, Wes, Dawk, Jerome, BE, Carmichael, Wilbert, Waters...

what makes them different from McNabb? Might be cause they didn't say stupid shit all the time.
            Or they played in a time when you didn't hear them say stupid shit all the time. Well not Dawk but you get the point. JB said stupid shit all the time. He was the Warren Sapp of his day. Randall was Randall. Joyner was a roid freak. Buddy was the biggest buffoon this team has ever had. Now there was a guy who said stupid shit all the time.

I never gave a shit what McNabb thought of me because the only thing that mattered was how he played on Sunday. He doesn't have to like me or try to kiss my ass. Just like I don't have to like him even though I do.
            FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
              Or they played in a time when you didn't hear them say stupid shit all the time. Well not Dawk but you get the point. JB said stupid shit all the time. He was the Warren Sapp of his day. Randall was Randall. Joyner was a roid freak. Buddy was the biggest buffoon this team has ever had. Now there was a guy who said stupid shit all the time.

I never gave a shit what McNabb thought of me because the only thing that mattered was how he played on Sunday. He doesn't have to like me or try to kiss my ass. Just like I don't have to like him even though I do.
              Best response that I've read Blitz!
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Just got back from a weekend away.

As for this thread......

The question was raised, why aren't controversial guys like Barkley and Iverson and Jaws, etc. hated by some fans as much as some fans seem to hate McNabb? I have to say, as far as Barkley, Iverson, etc. go, they also have something in common, besides not delivering a ring: they didn't play quarterback for the Eagles.

I really think that players like Barkley, Iverson, Lindros, etc. would not only have been even more controversial if (in some alternate universe) they were football players and were Eagles' starting quarterbacks, but I think they would've been just as polarizing to Eagles fans, and the arguments would've been just as heated. Fans would've wanted to keep them because of their undeniable talent. But other fans would've wanted to see them go not only because they didn't deliver a ring, but because of the baggage.

I mean, Barkley and Iverson especially come to mind. Like DMac, they were both drafted high in the first round. Lots of playoff appearances, lots of "Pro Bowl" appearances, even an MVP-caliber year or two (I think that McNabb was runner-up in the MVP vote one year, when Daunte Culpepper won it thanks to Randy Moss), but there's only a couple of years where the team as a whole is a really serious threat to win a title. As the years go by, their supporting casts just aren't at the same level as the star player. Sound familiar?

Now imagine the baggage. You can go to any website and see a lot of Barkley's controversial quotes - can you imagine what'd happen if McNabb, or any Eagles starting quarterback, said things like "I'm not a role model," "I can be bought. If they paid me enough money, I'd work for the Klan," and if he spat on a fan......and on top of that, with the Eagles not winning a title and having some quick exits from the playoffs? Or, for that matter, if that quarterback ever said, "Practice? We're talking about practice?" and later in his career, he failed to make a scheduled appearance at a fan appreciation night? I mean, really...it would've been a hundred times worse than what we've seen with DMac....there aren't words to describe the hate that Philly fans would've been sending......those words haven't even been invented yet.

And, Jaws? Point taken, I don't think he was disliked as much, despite being one of the two most booed athletes I've ever seen in Philly. For Jaws, the booing was more about the Eagles' performance, than Jaws' personality. But, it's also fair to point out that, after their SB appearances (XV for Jaws of course, and XXXIX for DMac), I also don't think that Jaws ever had the level of support among Eagles fans that DMac's had. For all the dislike/hate/whatever that some fans have had for McNabb, he's also had a lot of supporters too...for whatever reason.

Good luck figuring any of this out..............
                Last edited by balto-eaglefan; 10-25-2010, 11:22 AM.
                "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Working...
                X