Vinny Curry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinny Curry

In his 322 regular season snaps, Curry performed that role better than any 3-4 end in the NFL sans J.J. Watt. Curry registered 32 combined pressures in 217 pass rushing snaps for a Pass Rush Productivity grade of 11.6. Not only was that the second best PRP last season, but it was also the second best PRP we’ve ever seen from a 3-4 end in PFF’s seven seasons of data. To give you an idea of how crazy 32 pressures is in 217 snaps, Curry had one fewer pressure than Defensive Rookie of the Year Sheldon Richardson even though Richardson had 264 more opportunities (2.2 times as many pass rushing snaps).

That type of production is almost impossible to chalk up to being a fluke. An undersized, second-year end, playing a brand new position, was one of the most efficient interior rushers of the past seven seasons. It’s exciting to think about what could be next for Curry.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
    In his 322 regular season snaps, Curry performed that role better than any 3-4 end in the NFL sans J.J. Watt. Curry registered 32 combined pressures in 217 pass rushing snaps for a Pass Rush Productivity grade of 11.6. Not only was that the second best PRP last season, but it was also the second best PRP we’ve ever seen from a 3-4 end in PFF’s seven seasons of data. To give you an idea of how crazy 32 pressures is in 217 snaps, Curry had one fewer pressure than Defensive Rookie of the Year Sheldon Richardson even though Richardson had 264 more opportunities (2.2 times as many pass rushing snaps).

That type of production is almost impossible to chalk up to being a fluke. An undersized, second-year end, playing a brand new position, was one of the most efficient interior rushers of the past seven seasons. It’s exciting to think about what could be next for Curry.
    I agree, but it was mentioned somewhere that he doesn't stick to his designed role and freelances a bit. If he plays within the system, great, give him more snaps.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
      I agree, but it was mentioned somewhere that he doesn't stick to his designed role and freelances a bit. If he plays within the system, great, give him more snaps.
      How about finding a way to turn the bastard lose more often?! Come on Davis, open it up man!

Comment

here you go 60

Curry Pushing For Role In Year 3

Posted May 27, 2014
        By Dave Spadaro

Vinny Curry made the decision once the 2013 season ended. He would attack the offseason like never before, changing his diet and working harder than ever to find his place in the Eagles defense ...

Vinny Curry made the decision once the 2013 season ended. He would attack the offseason like never before, changing his diet and working harder than ever to find his place in the Eagles defense.
        Once a 262-pound end coming out of college, Curry has matured into a 280-plus pounder. He is off red meat. He stays away from dairy. He is working more than ever on explosiveness and power and strength and everything it takes to find the right fit here.
        A second-round draft pick in 2012, Curry's progress has been affected by the scheme change for the defense. A 4-3 end at Marshall who was the 2011 Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year after recording 11 quarterback sacks, seven forced fumbles and 22 tackles for a loss, Curry's push for playing time in the NFL has been halting.
        Curry's rookie season was, largely, a washout. He played in only six games, despite the team's 4-12 record. The coaches were reluctant to give Curry an extended shot, so he worked in the background and learned the NFL way.
        Last season, the Eagles had a new coaching staff and a new defensive scheme and instead of lining up off the edge in a 4-3 front, Curry plays end in a 3-4 front -- although, to be fair, he sees reps when the Eagles use the 4-man front in their interchangeable defense -- and is required to do a lot of things that he never had to do in his college days.
        And, so ... the wait. The development. The understanding that when Curry is called upon, his job is to deliver some juice.
        "My focus is to show my improvement from last year and to help the team in any way I can," says Curry, always upbeat as the Eagles began Organized Team Activities on Tuesday at the NovaCare Complex. "I'm like the sixth man in basketball. I want to be that guy. I'm fighting for my place on the team and to give the team a spark whenever I'm in there."
        Curry's hard work this offseason started long before the Eagles began their strength and conditioning program in South Philadelphia, and it's paid off. He says his body-fat percentage has decreased significantly. He is leaner, meaner and improved.
        How that translates to playing time remains to be seen. The Eagles have a promising group up front with Fletcher Cox and Cedric Thornton and Bennie Logan and Damion Square and rookies Taylor Hart and Beau Allen and Curry. The level of competition is going to be extremely high in the summer.
        That's fine with Curry, who made the most of his playing time last season. He ranked third on the team with four quarterback sacks and was third on the team with nine quarterback pressures despite playing just 26 percent of the team's defensive snaps. That’s a sack rate of 1.3 percent (1 sack per 79 snaps) and a hurry rate of 3.5 percent (1 hurry per 29 snaps). Both figures ranked first on the defense in 2013.
        Curry has learned the art of patience. He knows now what line coach Jerry Azzinaro wants in terms of technique and production, and as Year 2 in this defense dawns, Curry is optimistic about what is ahead for him and the rest of the unit.
        "I'm trying to find my place and my role to make this defense better," he said. "I know the assignments now and I have a better understanding of what the defense is all about. I feel like I held my own last year and I improved as I went along. I watched a lot of film and feel like I got better.
        "Now I'm ready to take it up a notch. I approached the offseason that way. I believe that good things come to those who wait and I'm a good teammate. When I get in there, it's my job to provide a spark. I want people to say, 'Vinny Curry helped the team win.' The only thing you can do is improve and improve every day, and that's what I'm doing."
        Curry is looking for a leap forward in his game and he knows that if he does his part, the reward will follow. He will get more snaps. He will make more of an impact for the defense.
        It's Year 3 for Curry. It's a critical time in his career.
        "It's that way every day in the NFL," he said. "You have to make the most of every day and take advantage of your chances. I feel I'm where I want to be. I've worked so hard since last year ended. I am ready to play football, to help the team win games."
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

The kid is as big of a Bird fan as anybody on this board. He kicks ass when he plays. It sounds like he's totally bought into Chip too. It's up to Davis to use this kid the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
            It's up to Davis to use this kid the right way.
            And if Davis doesn't use him right, I'm gonna land on him like a load of Bulgarian bricks!

60...Tell Davis I said that! That should get the bitch's attention!

Comment

I've seen many people (fans) mention his name and needing more playing time; that he makes things happen when he is in there. I wonder if there is concern about him falling off if he gets too much time. Otherwise it sure seems like he is ready to be a full time player
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

I concur. Davis should at least scheme more to get him more snaps. Some 4-3 under alignments when it best exploits the opponent's weaknesses perhaps.

As for him being a big Eagles fan, Remember the post-draft story about Curry refusing to allow cameras into his house while he waited to be selected? He didn't want to take down his Eagles stuff from the walls just for the cameras or something to that effect.

Comment

Yeah, I think many of us have been pulling for him, if for no reason other than he is an overly enthusiastic Birds fan. but it sounds like he has been really hitting the workouts heavy and improving physically, to go along with some pretty encouraging production in a limited role. I agree, it's time to give Vinny a bigger piece of the pie!
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
                  X