Vinny Curry PS Game #1 vs. Steelers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinny Curry PS Game #1 vs. Steelers

Meh. Some good and some just OK in there, IMO. Plenty of room to improve. By all accounts he is an extremely hard worker and will certainly make himself at least a solid DE in a rotation. I really want this guy to succeed. He's a lifelong Eagle fan.

Looks big enough to hold the edge well on run containment. Not a blazing first step on the rush, but appears to know how to use his hands well. Reminds me a little of Greg Jefferson, or, if he really turns into a good player, William Fuller.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
      Meh. Some good and some just OK in there, IMO. Plenty of room to improve. By all accounts he is an extremely hard worker and will certainly make himself at least a solid DE in a rotation. I really want this guy to succeed. He's a lifelong Eagle fan.

Looks big enough to hold the edge well on run containment. Not a blazing first step on the rush, but appears to know how to use his hands well. Reminds me a little of Greg Jefferson, or, if he really turns into a good player, William Fuller.
      William Fuller? Next you'll have him in Canton. I like the kid too, but that was a painfully average performance against other 2nd and 3rd stringers. He'll need to be better against NE, who is a little banged up in their OL right now.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I felt similarly, LT. Looks like he plays the run pretty well. He can shed blocks, get off his guy and get to the ball carrier. As far as a pass rusher, he leaves a lot to be desired. He primarily bull rushes......maybe that was sufficient for him to overpower people at the college level......but he lacks moves to beat a blocker and get to the QB.

Saw no stop in him, he has a good motor and you cant coach that. He's raw, needs work on his technique and he may develop.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
          I felt similarly, LT. Looks like he plays the run pretty well. He can shed blocks, get off his guy and get to the ball carrier. As far as a pass rusher, he leaves a lot to be desired. He primarily bull rushes......maybe that was sufficient for him to overpower people at the college level......but he lacks moves to beat a blocker and get to the QB.
          Saw no stop in him, he has a good motor and you cant coach that. He's raw, needs work on his technique and he may develop.
          That's why you don'tuse high draft picks on guys from the MAC conference, particularly defensive players Fresh. I love the kid's story, but that tape was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
            William Fuller? Next you'll have him in Canton. I like the kid too, but that was a painfully average performance against other 2nd and 3rd stringers. He'll need to be better against NE, who is a little banged up in their OL right now.

Just the kind of player Curry reminds me of. Not saying he is Fuller's level at all. Figuring that if he progresses as hoped, Fuller would be the kind of player he could become.
            Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

August games have no value other than progression,vets are getting into game shape and youngsters are learning the system and trying to show they deserve more reps.Curry showed a ton of heart and desire and because of that he IMO deserves more of a look. He showed a nice bullrush during the game and that is something you can throw a lot of moves off.I commented during the game that he seemed to play the better part of 2 full quarters without a break,he will win alot of wars with heart,if he picks up some moves and move combos from the guys in front of him ,he should be a key player.
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Interesting, as here was Lawlor's take in his detailed game writeup:
                CURRY - Outstanding. Led team with 5 solo stops. Had 3 TFLs. Got pressure on QB. Came into the game in the 2nd Q. Played RDE a lot in the 2nd half. Flew off the ball in the 3rd Q and got the RB down for a 2-yd loss. Unblocked, but showed serious speed to get there that fast from DE. Pulling OG was supposed to get him. Had no chance. Showed a great ability to get upfield fast and then flatten out smoothly. This is a great sign. Most DEs can fly upfield, but then turning to the inside is awkward. Hard to do at full speed. Curry did it on run play. Drove the LT back and then slammed the RB to the ground for no gain.
                Didn't seem like he got near the QB, but he definitely did bust up some running plays. Guess it's a matter of what you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                  Most teams 2nd and 3rd teamers wouldn't get much credit,but I have a lot of respect for Pitts history of OL picks. They don't keep their OL if they need to pay them, so the youngsters usually have some talent.
                  We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                    Interesting, as here was Lawlor's take in his detailed game writeup:

Didn't seem like he got near the QB, but he definitely did bust up some running plays. Guess it's a matter of what you are looking for.

I'm no talent evaluator. But I read Lawlor's bullish view of Curry's game and was expecting to see more in the tape, I guess.

Comment

I'm no talent evaluator. But I read Lawlor's bullish view of Curry's game and was expecting to see more in the tape, I guess.

My thoughts too.

Comment

Yeah, I thought something similar. But re-reading, it seems that Lawlor was praising specific physical skills which show that Curry could become a top-notch end, rather than being polished right now. And he was disruptive in the run game, for sure -- TFLs are a big deal, even when they are not sacks. He definitely didn't look like he had much of a repertoire for getting to the QB at this point, but perhaps it's those specific physical abilities which are needed to develop them eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
                          Yeah, I thought something similar. But re-reading, it seems that Lawlor was praising specific physical skills which show that Curry could become a top-notch end, rather than being polished right now. And he was disruptive in the run game, for sure -- TFLs are a big deal, even when they are not sacks. He definitely didn't look like he had much of a repertoire for getting to the QB at this point, but perhaps it's those specific physical abilities which are needed to develop them eventually.

Agree

Comment

A rookie's first two quarters in the wide nine. not too bad considering. I remember Juan saying rookie linemen first learn to rush and usually the bull rush. Then they get them to learn to crush. He can't be expected to look like Cole or Babin in their first year, let in his first taste of NFL competition.

I loved (sarcasm) the play where he ran outside when the play was to his side and inside of him....he flew to the ground on an easy shove by the tackle. At least he got up quickly.
                            Pedro

Comment

Working...
                            X