No announcement yet.

Jones activated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's above my pay grade, But IMO the Birds see something in him or we wouldn't have this conversation till August
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I think that Darby and Robinson are our two best corners. If you tell the Green Goblin that he's not starting get ready for a nuclear meltdown.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Rest Mills is exactly what I told my brother days ago. Let Jones play the entire game and get some reps. Jones is a NEEDED backup during the playoffs. Douglas may be first off the bench but you want depth in case they lose more than one CB during the playoffs. There is no downside unless you have a better guy coming off the street---and I don't think you do
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
          Rest Mills is exactly what I told my brother days ago. Let Jones play the entire game and get some reps. Jones is a NEEDED backup during the playoffs. Douglas may be first off the bench but you want depth in case they lose more than one CB during the playoffs. There is no downside unless you have a better guy coming off the street---and I don't think you do
          Why not rest Darby too and let both Douglas and Jones start or at least pull Darby after one series. I'd get Jenkins out of there in a heartbeat too seeing as though if we lose him we might as well forfeit.

Comment

Yea I am not saying not to rest particular people; just saying Jones should get playing time and Mills, who has been nursing an ankle, should get rest. I'm okay with others such as Douglas being out there also.
            For me bottom line is people with nagging injuries should get the time off. The O needs a little time to get their **** in a bucket so they need some playing time. People who are healthy should be available to play the game.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
              Yea I am not saying not to rest particular people; just saying Jones should get playing time and Mills, who has been nursing an ankle, should get rest. I'm okay with others such as Douglas being out there also.
              For me bottom line is people with nagging injuries should get the time off. The O needs a little time to get their **** in a bucket so they need some playing time. People who are healthy should be available to play the game.
              I agree ND. I just think that with all the things that they ask Jenkins to do he's the most irreplaceable man on the defense. Let Corey Graham play and whoever else they want to put at safety. I suppose that you could say that about Cox and others too but Jenkins is different. The problem is that everybody plays and there are no camp bodies to throw in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                Watkins has played good when called upon. Jones is unknown other than I guess that he was a good prospect before he got hurt. Do you really want a guy who has never played a down in his life starting out in a playoff game? That sounds very silly to me. The advantage of not activating him is that if he is as good as everybody thinks he is we have him under contract for one more full year that we would just throw away if we activate him to sit on the bench for a game or two. Seeing as though that coincides with the time we are going to have to sign Wentz again it makes a whole lot more sense to me to already have him under contract at that time if he's the star people are making him out to be. Right now he's just a raw rookie coming off a bad injury. I just think that cornerback is such a tough position to learn in this short period of time. If they do activate him I guess that he's ready, but I haven't read anything about anybody gushing over the kid.
                That was inaccurate reporting. They don't lose a contract year by activating him now. It's based on the percentage of games he's active for in Year 1, not if he plays at all.

And he wouldn't be starting a game in the play-offs, but yes, if pressed into service, I'd rather have him than Watkins.

There have been lots of rookie CB that have started and been great (Lattimore and White this year alone), so I'll take my chances that Jones is one of those over MAYBE Watkins continues to be OK if pressed into service.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                  That was inaccurate reporting. They don't lose a contract year by activating him now. It's based on the percentage of games he's active for in Year 1, not if he plays at all.

And he wouldn't be starting a game in the play-offs, but yes, if pressed into service, I'd rather have him than Watkins.

There have been lots of rookie CB that have started and been great (Lattimore and White this year alone), so I'll take my chances that Jones is one of those over MAYBE Watkins continues to be OK if pressed into service.
                  That's good news about the reporting. Pick your poison I guess. Hopefully we won't need either one of them. I guess that we'll find out how good Jones is right now if he gets activated for the playoff game.

Comment

One thing to think about with our DB group is they are all under the age of 24. That's just scary. With them playing this much now, that could really be a dominant group in years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
                      One thing to think about with our DB group is they are all under the age of 24. That's just scary. With them playing this much now, that could really be a dominant group in years to come.
                      and none of them are making big bucks. Almost every team has one CB in the 10-14 mill range. Helps Howie a lot . Of course the downside is they will need to be paid at some point.
                      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Working...
                      X